Copy is rejected by DVD/CD player

I’m a 60 y.o. newbie to copying / burning DVDs. Do to the nature of my problem, it was suggested to me to move from the DVDShrink / Nero7 combination.

This is my first time using DVDFabPlatinum (Trial) to copy only the Main Move, remove the Greek subtitles, compress, then burn to a single layer DVD. Absolutely a fantastic program! After doing the Tutorial, the ease of use, friendly menus, and apparently a ‘do it all’ package, the program is well work the cost.

When I put the backup DVD in the Sony DVD/CD DVP-NC80V (formats supported: DVD-Video, DVD-RW/-R, DVD+RW/+R, SACD, VIDEO CD/Music CD, CD-RW/-R), this message is displayed: “Playing this disc prohibited by area limits”

The same message is displayed when playing the original DVD, using DVDShrink/Nero7. The three original discs are from Greece, NTSC, R0 and apparently lacking RCE/CSS files…

What I find interesting, my un-hacked 2 year old Apex AD-1200, R1, $29.95 from Sears and NEC DVD/CD PC burner plays these discs - original and copies.

I’m eager to learn more about DVDs and would like to eventually resolve this problem. But, where do I go to from here?

Thanks - Ken, wb4zoh

Hi Ken:
The are several members here around your age myself included. I think you will be pleased with Platinum. I use the Express mode most times. All fab products make back up copies region free. I will say that some players are picky and you need to choose blank media that is recommended by the player. Here is a site that has a ton of info on media:

Also it is no surprise that a cheap player plays discs that the more expensive player won’t. I have the Express instructions that I converted to a PDF file, but it is too large to post here so I will email it to anyone who PMs me a request with email address.

Here is a site that sell media and has info. They have free S&H sales, so if you watch you can get good deals:

Mack

You may want to check out this thread and others under Hardware on CDFreaks main forum page to see if there is a firmware hack available for your equipment.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Mack

I had the same problem with some media/movie combinations in my high end Toshiba deck. DVD Shrink will let you set the region to any combination of 1-6(?) in the options tabs before you create the ISO image. Anyway, setting it to anything other than 1 (only) would cause the player to just totally lock up and I’d have to unplug it to reset it and get the disc out (but they worked in every <$50 cheapy I tried). Since I play all my backups in Region 1 decks, I just set them all to 1 and haven’t had a problem since. I haven’t used anything DVDFab other than Decrypter (free) so I don’t know if you have this same option.
P.S. You’ve probably had to move from DVD Shrink to DVD Fab to get around the protections. Some of these protections actually simulate read errors and make DVD Shrink choke. However, I’ve found that DVDFab Decrypter (free) works to get the files on your drive minus the annoyances. Then Shrink and Nero (or ImgBurn) work just fine. Granted, I’m not burning the newest stuff out but I used DVDFab Decrypter (free) to get a working copy of a movie that actually HAD read erros due to a gigantic scratch. It would lock up in any player but DVDFab Decrypter (free) ignored the errors and created a set of files and folders that I backed up with DVD Shrink and ImgBurn.

I wish my grandma would learn how to set the time on her VCR. :eek:

Maybe this’ll help ya
http://clusty.com/search?query=region+hacked+firmware (teaching fishing)
http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php (the fish)

Alternatively, running DVD Idle Pro in the background when you copy your source media will allow on-the-fly removal of region restrictions! (set the region to whatever you please)

oh and [B]stay the hell away from supermediastore[/B]: they’re BIG on bait & switch. Just google for “linkyo”. [I]When[/I] they ship you defective media they’ll insist you pay return shipping, and shipping a third time for the replacements. RIMA.com is a reliable vendor. Stick with either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim for best results.

Thanks No Luddite - Learned early on to use reliable media and I use Taiyo Yuden for both CDR & some DVD, the rest Verbatim.

So far there has not been any firmware mods for the Sony DVP-NC80V.

Going to try the DVDIdlePro, see how the Sony reacts, and post results. I received yet another email from Greece concerning R0 labled DVDs not playing in a Sony.

Most of my media purchases have been with NewEgg.com and RIMA.com - your heads up on supermediastore is appreciated.

I have learned that the cheaper players are more flexible than the more expensive ones. I do have a Liteon 5005 recorder that cost over a hundred but can be FW hacked and plays almost anything. There are some user here who have the same unit, and a section on main page under hardware that has tools to hack them.

Mack

Are you absolutely sure that these are NTSC disks? With Region 0 you should not have a problem with the region whether it is a high end or low end player. Anyway, in the settings menu do choose remove RCE and set your region.

All the DVD players are NTSC and I checked the DVD boxes as well - “NTSC R0”

Tried running DVDIdlePro in background, set to R1, using DVDPlatinum - Media are Ty & Verbatium - both DVD drives in PC NEC 3055a & no mods, XPpro, 1gb RAM - plenty of free space on both HD’s.

Still the &^(&^#!! Sony DVD fails to play the copy or the original.

I’m amazed as well as confused.
Thanks to all who have stopped by and replied -
Ken

Now, if you can not play the original either, the problem is obviously with your Sony standalone. I have three different sony standalones, and my experience is that they all accept Region 0 disks and their sensitivity to disk and copy quality varies a lot.

I have one more guess, maybe your Sony will not play Region 0 disks. If this is the case, do this:

Rip the disk to HD using Fab (maybe you have it already). Then use DVD Shrink (you wrote that you have it) to copy it to DVD. When you press Backup! you get a pop up window to set the target and other options. In DVD region you can choose region free or you can set a specific region. Set to 1 (that is your region, isn’t it) and start copying. Use RW first.

Good luck.

. HELLO, I LIVE IN PORTUGAL AND ESPEAK PORTUGUESE, SO I APOLOGIZE MY ENGLISH. MY PROBLEM IS: I BOUGTH A DVDIdlePro, VERSION 5.9.8.5, AND I HAVE A TOSHIBA A-100 - 125, WITH A MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ - 841S. MY SOFTWARE IS POWER DVD 7.0 DE LUXE VERSION. I CAN’T WATCH DVDS FROM ANOTHER REGIONS ( MY REGION IS 2). WHAT CAN I DO? I TRIED EVERYTHING. SOMEOME CAN HELP , PLEASE?

:bow: :bow: