Copy frpm VCR to PC DVD Burner

Hello, I have a Video Casette Player (not a recorder) and a lot of old videos that I would love to put on a DVD. I have a DVD Burner on my Laptop. Where do I start, please?

By recording the video and audio stream to your pc using a (usb) recording device.

Content from the VCR is analogue and first has to be digitized…

Thanks to both of you for your response. I would imagine that most of us who have a computer problem use this type of medium as a last resort, having already exhausted Google search and all the other searches. It means we lack knowledge but most of us aren’t stupid. I am a teacher with a degree in Economics so I am quite happy with how my brain cells work. However, I would rather be classed as stupid than just plain ignorant! But then, I should have known better than to have asked a question in a forum where it is considered that smart or sarcastic responses are prefferable to dignified and informative assistance. Thanks, but no thanks!

When you are asking such a generic question, you shouldn’t expect a step by step guide as an answer. I don’t think both answers were sarcastic, but I can’t speak on their behalf. Remember though that people around here are for help and not to fool somebody’s ignorance (if any). We all started from a zero point :wink:

There are so many ways to go from analogue to digital video. The easiest one in my opinion is through a standalone DVD recorder. If you feel confortable using your PC, and you are willing to spend time on learning about video editing, then you should go with a capture card. Then you’ll have many more capabilities. Since you work on a laptop, a USB one is the best choice.

If you provide some more details, a lot of people around here will be of much help :wink:

Thank you so much, YYY and I appreciate your comments. I didn’t expect a blow by blow account from A - Z, just where to start. I have already mastered some of the art of making video movies and burning them to a DVD. I just had no idea where to start with this project and, after looking at a lot of the posts, I realised that here was a language that I didn’t fully understand - hence my post.
I now know that a Video cassette is Anologue and needs to be converted to digital. I have purchased a KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 and tried to follow their instructions. My first problem was that all the connections on their unit were female - so too were all the connections on my Video Player and TV. They have since told me I now need to purchase Male to Male connectors which I will do today.
Now I find that what is called in the manual, a “composite in” (no idea what it’s for) is too large for my TV so there’s my next problem. I also wanted to know if I can hook up my Video Player direct to the KWorld unit without going through a TV but I can’t seem to have that explained to me, although I have accessed two sources.
So, my apologies if my comments seemed inappropriate, but I was, and still am, so confused and frustrated, the last thing I wanted to be told was to use my brain. I hope you understand and sorry for my verbosity. However, I will conquer this eventually. You have given me hope. Thanks!

Where to start? Buy a DVD recorder. Much simpler than capturing, editing, authoring, burning. I have a DVD recorder and a decent capture card and guess which gets more use…

I don’t have the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 myself but I am a little familar on the set up.

I also wanted to know if I can hook up my Video Player direct to the KWorld unit without going through a TV

Yes you can

a "composite in"
Just another word for the RCA plug ins ( Which is another term for the jacks ) It is how the video ( yellow cable ) and the audio ( white and red cables ) get into the device which translates it to digital and comes out the other end ( video ) via the USB connection and audio the little plug in

[QUOTE=brovic;2291437]Thank you so much, YYY and I appreciate your comments.[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome :flower:
I think you’re in the right way, although you have chosen the difficult path!
Certainly, via a standalone DVD recorder it is easier. When I started to learn a few things about video analogue/digital, the guides here helped me clarify few things. If you have time, take a look here:

(mainly the first two).

Since you’re going to connect your player to the USB capture card, you better record in an almost lossless format using the AVI container. Then you can edit and author your project as you want it to be, and then encode it to MPEG-2 format (standard format for DVD video). You have to keep in mind though that MPEG-2 is a lossy format, ie it rejects some information to keep the file size small. You 'll certainly notice the difference when you compare the file sizes of your AVI and MPEG-2 videos. Thus, you have to pay attention not to put too long movie duration for your project. The limit is clearly subjective. I keep it under 1.5 hours with a standard sinle layer DVD (4.5GB). Maybe 2 hours will be fine as well.

Finally, use the program that comes with your capture card. Usually, the sw that comes along with these cards, is small, with fewer capabilities but much easier to learn and start with video editing/authoring.

I hope you’ll make a lot of progress soon. I’m glad you don’t give up easily :wink: and post again for any news and/or help…

PS: Welcome to this forum (a bit delayed welcome) :slight_smile:

Like olyteddy Where to start.I hope nothing I post here is considered sarcastic.
I bought a USB capture card (roxio easyVHStoDVD) the software refuses to install on my Vista OS even though it is supposed to.
I haven’t used the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 so I’m not sure about its connectors.
As for your TV if it has RCA connectors they should be the same size as any composite cable you use.The colors should be red,white, & yellow.
You will use your VCR out to the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 in.
The KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 will take it USB to your computer.
The software that came with the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 will probably determine what container will be used or possibly offer some options.
If it doesn’t go to Standard DVD format (VIDEO_TS folder with .bup , .ifo , & .vob files & empty AUDIO_TS folder) then you will need to convert to that for the majority of standalone settop DVD player/recorders.
Now heres the further complication.If the VHS tapes you want to make copies of are commercial movie VHS tapes .Then you will have copy protection to deal with.Mainly Macrovision.
For this you will need to run from the VCR out to a video stabilizer in with the yellow video cable.From the video stabilizer out with a yellow cable to the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2 video in probably a yellow cable or RCA input jack.
If the VHS tapes you are wanting to copy are home videos from a video camera then you won’t need the video stabilizer.
I haven’t used the following method & I’m not set up to do it but I’m going to mention it so you can research it further or someone will post on it.
Some people run the VCR to a modern digital camcorder then from it to a computer .I think firewire is usually the output from camera to computer.Some say this is the higest quality method.
For commercial VHS you will still need a video stabilizer even with this method.
One last thing laptop burners are know to be the lowest quality.If you intend to use the laptop for this I would add a good quality external burner to the hardware.
My personal method for doing this is a VCR through a Dimax Grex(video stabilizer) to a standalone DVD recorder.The quality could be better so not the best method.