Copy DVDs into an external HD

vbimport

Hello, It´s the first time I´m here and I don´t know if it´s correct, this way, to discuss my problem.
Here is: - I have about 100 dvds and I would like to copy them into a external HD. After that, I think I will be able to see them on a LCD TV using an input USB2.
I can tell that I saw the movies but without any subtitles.
With a DVD recorder it´s easy to control all menus with a commander but it is not possible to do the same on HD.
Is there any suggestion that during copy dvd into HD can I sellect the subtitles at the same time. Any clue? Thanks for help.
Mindanel.

It probably depends on what the TV’s interface can achieve. Did you rip the DVD as an ISO for storage on the external disk, and are there any instructions in the TV manual on how to select different audio or subtitle streams from the data coming in from the hard disk?

Sometimes you need to have ripped the DVD movie as an MPEG2 file (with the audio & subtitle streams included), because the TV interface might not handle the menu system of a DVD properly.

Are you connecting directly to LCD tv or via standalone player?..What’s the external HDD formatted as Fat32(4GB limit) or NTFS?..Maybe an option would be to convert to Xvid/Divx AVI with Hardcoded subs…Or a player such as the Western Digital HDD Media Player, which supposedly plays many formats, e.g. vob, divx/xvid AVI, mpeg, mkv, vob files, wmv…etc…

This is another company.The WD seems to come without a hard drive & I didn’t find the max capacity.
The Iomegas price varies acording to hard drive size but come with one.
Both would seem to do what mindanel is looking for.
http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay153-multimedia-drives/?partner=4760

You can get TVs that accept various media files residing on a hard disk connected via USB, without needing an intervening media player.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/matsui-m15digb19-15-hd-ready-lcd-tv-02627059-pdt.html

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2512582]It probably depends on what the TV’s interface can achieve. Did you rip the DVD as an ISO for storage on the external disk, and are there any instructions in the TV manual on how to select different audio or subtitle streams from the data coming in from the hard disk?

Sometimes you need to have ripped the DVD movie as an MPEG2 file (with the audio & subtitle streams included), because the TV interface might not handle the menu system of a DVD properly.[/QUOTE]

I thank for your information about this matter. In this moment I have the solution for my case. Talking with a friend, he said that some months ago he has the same problem and he tried
to search in a big store some equipment for that.
After all he buy HDMI MEDIA PLAYER EG-M34A and
works very well. I have done the same and now I can see the movies in VOB. files with the subtitles as a normal reader dvd.
This equipment has a remote control and works with menus
where we can search the majority of controls.
In my country, Portugal, when we buy a dvd disc we must
search for the subtitles in portuguese, because most of discs
have several languages and subtitles.
Anyway many thanks for your help!!!
Mindanel.

Let us know after you have used it for a while how well it does.
There were only 4 reviews at Amazon but the people that bought the EG-M34A & reveiwed were satisfied.
The WD & Iomega have been out longer so many more reveiws & some negative ones so more to determine problems & performance.
For example how is the picture quality from a standard DVD being upconverted to HD ?
If you are using it for that.
Some people had audio sync problems with the other two from certain formats.