Copy DVD

vbimport

I am attempting to copy a video dvd and am having problems. The drive on my Dell Dimension Desktop is a: NEC DVD+RW ND

I cannot burn to a disc no matter what I do. I’ve tried using various software ie; AVS DVD COPY, SETupANYDVD6507; and a couple of others, while running third party encryption software. I take it, this system doesn’t have a DVD burner, just a reader/player.

If I could burn to a disc after copying to the hard drive, do I have to use a dvd+r disc or can I burn to a dvd-r disc?

Thank you for any helpful support.

RJL

Welcome to the forum rjlump55. You almost gave us enough information to help you…you left off the model number of that NEC drive. It looks like it might be a dvd burner, but it would help to know for certain.

Download Nero CD/DVD Speed and tell us the model of the drive as it appears in the area I have marked with the reddish color. Here is the download page for that program…it is free to use. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

It sounds like you have the trial for AnyDVD installed on your computer. That is a good start. You can use it to break encryption on commercial dvds. Just let it run in the background…you’ll see a fox icon at the bottom right of the screen.

You can also use it to rip to the hard drive. Right click on the fox icon and you will see an option to Rip DVD Video to Harddisk. This will put the entire dvd onto your hard drive in the area you designate. Many newer dvds will need to be handled this way, since they have some nasty protection schemes that interfere with ripping and working with the files.

It is also possible to use other ripping programs and let AnyDVD do the hard part of decryption…this works most of the time, but not on all the very newest releases.

Many dvds are too large to burn to a single layer dvd. You should get a free compression program called DVDShrink. Click on the DVDShrink link in the previous sentence and you’ll go to the download page here at cdfreaks. Look through the guides for Shrink here in the Copy Movie forum, or go to www.mrbass.org and read his guides for using Shrink for compression.

You can burn the result from DVDShrink with any program capable of burning dvd-video. I use ImgBurn, which is free. Look at the ImgBurn forums for guides on using it if you are interested.

Hi Kerry56
I think I am in the right place to respond to your post to my question. I have a NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A 10FD. When I downloaded the Nero DiscSpeed 4, it opened but I was unable to get it to start (run the test). The start button was grayed out. Is this enough info?

RJL

Yes, that is what I wanted to look at…the1100A model. You should be able to play dvds with this, and rip to the hard drive, but this is a very old model burner and it can only burn +R disks, with a top speed of 4x.

It will be very difficult to find blank disks that can be recognized and burned correctly with this burner. My suggestion is to start looking for a new burner to replace it. Finding a replacement drive will actually be less expensive than buying disks online that may or may not work with the NEC.

If you are in the US, this is what I would get as a direct replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011

You might also check to make sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable attached to that NEC. It will be necessary to have an 80 wire rather than a 40 wire using the new drive.
Here is one at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200039

Hi Kerry56
I think I am in the right place to respond to your post to my question. I have a NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A 10FD. When I downloaded the Nero DiscSpeed 4, it opened but I was unable to get it to start (run the test). The start button was grayed out. Is this enough info?

RJL

Thank you for that information Kerry. I did go out to the Eggs site and attempted to purchase that drive, but when I placed it into my cart it didn’t show as having been selected, so I will try again.

I need to make an upgrade for my hard drive as well. Now that I am loaded with additional knowledge, I can better prepare.

Again, I thank you for you assistance and once I acquire the hardware, I’ll let you know how things are.

Happy belated New Years to you
RJL

I am still working on the matter of my DVD burner. Kerry56 had suggested a unit (NEC) at Newegg, however, that unit isn’t available any longer. I found another unit:
Lite-On DH-20A4H-06 Super AllWrite DVDRW 20X PATA w/Lightscribe w/Software OEM - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R9, 12x DVD-RAM, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW

Will this be an acceptable 2nd choice? If not what else do you recommend.

Thank You,
RJL