Copy controlled cd: Ben Harper's latest

vbimport

I just bought the latest Ben Harpers’ cd (“Diamonds on the Inside”) and unfortunately is a copy controlled cd which means I can just barely listening on my PC and DVD player but not make a copy on my SONY minidisc for personal pleasure. As I think this method is rather illegal because I payed a cd and I must have freedom to make personal reproductions on tape or minidisc I would like if there is any chance to make a reproduction (CD clone doesn’t work).
:frowning:

Stefano

I know the feeling.
First encountered it with Massive Attacks 100th Window album, when my 24x Liteon would not rip it.
I bought a new Liteon 52x drive and it ripped Massive Attack no problem.
Then I bought the new Placebo album, which has the same Copy Controlled logo as Ben Harper and Massive Attack cd’s, and nothing I try will get it to rip.
BIG pain in the arse for someone who only listens to music via pc.

I don’t know what is available for Lite-On but Plextor has an application called PlexTools. In it, you can tell the drive to treat a CD-Audio disc as a Single Session (probably much like a regular non-computer CD player).

This option hides the corrupted data session. On top of this, the C2 errors introduced during the printing phase will also cause problems during the ripping. For me, dropping down to 4X CLV ripping speed in PlexTools (eliminates)limits the clicks, pops and dropouts on these “Copy Control” labeled "CD"s.

Personally, I only bought one of these to see if I could copy them. It was quite easy to do on my Plextor 2410A. However, my older SCSI Plextor 32X CD-ROM didn’t have the “Single Session” feature available. That will be the last “Copy Control” CD that I willingly spend my money on. They can sit on the store shelves for all I care.

I found how remove the copy protection on the cd simply by using WINDAC (http://www.windac.de)

:wink:

Stefano

“Copy Control” labeled "CD"s.
,corrupted disc´s there is!How about trying Alcohol and dumping the disc to your hd and then try to rip it with EAC?Just a thought/gs

Stefano, thanks for the tip, worked a treat!!

heres my story from this weeks rips, using my 52x liteon.
I have ripped 4 Copy Controlled audio cd’s (the ones with the big “C” logo). They might all have the same logo, but are NOT created equal.

1. Massive Attack - 100th Window. Ripped easy with EAC.
  2. Ben Harper - Diamonds on the inside - Ripped easy with EAC
  3. Placebo - Sleeping with ghosts. A pain of a disc, not only would EAC or ISOBUSTER not rip it, EAC didnt even recognise there was a disc in the drive! But WinDAC ripped it no problems.
  4. Downsyde - Land of the giants (Australian release). Much like Placebo, except it seemed to act more like a data disc than the other discs. Regardless, WinDAC was the solution.

So, seems to me best bet is to use EAC where you can if you have a recent drive, otherwise you can (so far) count on WinDAC.

Anyone know why WinDAC has no problems where others do?

I’ve just bought the new Blur album “Think Tank” and it too is Copy Controlled and wondering how to rip it.

Thanks Stephano I will give Windac a go right now :slight_smile:

Some additions based on my personal testing:

The later versions of Cactus Data shield 200 can only be bypassed with Plextor drives using Plextools and a lowered ripping speed (unless one is using Plextor Premium which can rip at full speed).

Otherwise the copies result in gaps in the songs at 9 second mark from the beginning of each track.

AFAIK, only PlexTool/Plextor drive is able to bypass this.

And yes, I’ve tried LiteOn, Sony and Yamaha, which according to some can bypass these protections.

Some copy controlled discs contain Key2Audio which is much easier to bypass than later CDS 200 versions. Almost any drive can rip these discs from EAC.

And WinDAC (or CD-Ex or EAsy-CD Extraxtor or CloneCD or Alcohol 120%) will not be able to bypass the 9 secong mark gap in CDS 200 discs, unless you use a Plextor drive. I’ve tried. Maybe I did something wrong, but I follow the instructions in this forum to the letter:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60534&highlight=cactus

I’d be happy to be proven wrong on this, but unfortunately I’ve only been able to make gapless rips by using Plextor drives and Plextools when dealing with Cactus Data Shield 200.0.4 3.0 build 12b or later.

regards,
Halcyon

Originally posted by Halcyon

The later versions of Cactus Data shield 200 can only be bypassed with Plextor drives using Plextools and a lowered ripping speed (unless one is using Plextor Premium which can rip at full speed).

Hi !
I could rip the last Radiohead album (“Hail to the thief”) with a LG GCE-8481B.

CDS200.0.4
4.0 build 10b

Does CDS use illegal TOC?
All programs detected the tracks correctly, and Feurio didn’t show any message about illegal TOC/protected disc (I don’t know if I disabled that message).

The extraction of that disc with the LG works half of the times.
I mean sometimes it fails in the first bits, and sometimes it starts ripping and doesn’t stop till the end.
I used maximum speed and the drive drive slows down to its minimum speed (8x) when it finds the first errors (as always) at the beginning of the 1st track.

I didn’t notice any problem at second 9.

In fact, I think I’ve made a perfect copy. I had at least 2 equal WAVs from several rippings for every track.

For every extraction there was about 3 to 5 erroneous tracks, but these errors were random: sometimes it was the 3rd track wrong and sometimes right, and so on…

Feurio reported between 3000 and 15000 C2 errors for every track, and this number was almost fixed for every track with small variations in succesive extractions (again around 3 or 5 tracks changed their number of c2-errors slightly).

Comparing WAVs in EAC showed “zones of differences” smaller than 12 miliseconds when the WAVs were different (not audible I’d say).

Nero also ripped the tracks, and EAC reported wrong reading command but it was the old EAC 0.9.
I don’t remember the firmware of the LG 48x (I couldn’t try more drives)

I was disappointed: too easy :bigsmile:

thanks corto_maltese!! a copy control cd (from emi) i bought recently won’t play on my mp3/cd portable, and on my laptop, it uses its on player… can’t play it on winamp3. it’s a savior i found this post… windac copy it to my hd in a breeze. thanks again!

I recently bought a music cd that wasent supposed to work on my pc but when I put it in my cd recorder it played fine. Where as my DvD drive failed to play it - it just span like it was searching for something.

Certain drives just deal with the protection with relative ease whereas others struggle/fail with it.

Hello

Anyone an idee how to copy it.
I will never again pay for a cd, next time i will just get it form kazaa.
I have payed for it, so its my property and they dont have the right to put restricitions on it.

Greetz
Michelangelo

Read this /gs.

a story…

I hired blur’s think tank from the library and went visting my parents, who’ve just got a new comp with a cd rewriter.

Ive never copied a cd before and am not very computer literate so when i came across this copy controlled thingy i was a little bemused.

but via google, this site and this page I got some tips and within an hour had got a perfect copy (alcohol120% if anyone cares… at first when people wrote about alcohol i thought i had to wipe the cd with a whisky and coke)

the point of this story is… little old me (with help from you lot), who before this morning knew nothing off ripping, dumping and burning, has managed to circumnavigate emi’s anti-copying measures. isnt the internet great. power to the people and all that.

(i guess its the ‘thefts’ of albums in this manner that gives people copying their own cds for their own pleasure a bad name. the way i figure it, i was one of the ten who bought blur’s great escape… so they owe me)

:wink:

I ve tried to copy my new placebo album with WinDac32 on a
plextor 12/10/32A and i’ve noticed gaps at 9 second mark from
the beginning of each track, but i’ve manage to bypass this by
just reducing the read speed to 4.0. It 's not necessary to use
plextools.

Originally posted by minix
[B]Hi !
I could rip the last Radiohead album (“Hail to the thief”) with a LG GCE-8481B.

CDS200.0.4
4.0 build 10b

Does CDS use illegal TOC?
All programs detected the tracks correctly, and Feurio didn’t show any message about illegal TOC/protected disc (I don’t know if I disabled that message).

[/B]

Yeah it uses an illegle TOC aside from subchannel errors and some ECC/EFM Hardware Errors on the audio session. Build 10b isn’t quite as skillful Plextors won’t be fooled at all by it.

Anyway I don’t much about your LG drive but if a drive isn’t affected you won’t notice.

The only drives I know of that can bypass all builds of CDS200 are the HP Writer 8200 & 9100 series, I know the Yamahas always get fooled by track 01.