Copy complete CD w/o making mp3s?

vbimport

There may be a technical reason for this being a silly question, but here goes:

My wife (bless her heart) likes to take my CDs to listen to in her car. She has one of those visor CD sleeve holders so the cases get scattered everywhere and God only knows how well the discs are treated. I’d like to copy some of those CDs so she can ruin the duplicates without destroying my originals. I know how to rip tracks to MP3 and put the whole album back together, but is there some software that will rip a full CD to an ISO image or a folder that can be burned as a package without messing with the mp3 files and inserting inter-track silence, etc. It seems like it would be a lot faster to just rip the disc then burn the image. I don’t want one long track, though. It has to work like the original.

Thanks.

Hi,

with EAC, you can rip the audio CD to a huge wav file which is accompanied by a .cue (where the track information is stored). This [I]pair of files[/I] is something roughly similar to .iso images of data discs.
Alternatively, you can rip the discs to single .WAV files that are stored within a folder.

Michael

Great. And it’s free! I’ll give that a try. I’ve never used a .cue file before. What do I need to use to burn the pair of files back to a blank CD? And will it still function like the original (next, previous, ffwd, etc.)? Thanks.

You can also burn the CUE/WAV with EAC (ExactAudioCopy) and ImgBurn and Burrrn as well as other programs.

The copy will work as the original with some caveats:

If the original CD has a hidden track one (HTOA) it’s difficult to copy and depending on how you do it, the copy may not have that hidden track one.

The copy can have CD-TEXT or not depending on how you burn the copy. This is true regardless of whether the original CD has CD-TEXT information.

Some CD players don’t like to read/play some CD-R media: this can also depend on the burner and burn speed used.

ImgBurn :bigsmile:

I have a Pioneer DVR-215D and a Samsung SH-S203N. I haven’t used them to burn a CD yet, but one or both of them should work with my CD-R discs. I have a box of 52x Primera printables I want to try to use for this. I’ll try one and test it in the car before I burn a bunch of coasters.

If she loses a hidden track, it’s just a price she’ll have to pay for dissing my CDs (I hope my beautiful and loving wife doesn’t visit this forum) :flower:

A weekend project!

Thanks for the helpful advice.

[quote=NOTS3W;2132724]Great. And it’s free! I’ll give that a try. I’ve never used a .cue file before. What do I need to use to burn the pair of files back to a blank CD?[/quote]I usually open the CUE file with Nero to burn it.

ImgBurn, Read mode followed by Write mode. Couldn’t be simpler.

I just hadn’t thought about using what I think of as my DVD software for copying an audio CD. Are you saying that I don’t need to use EAC, then? Just ImgBurn? That’s even simpler.

Brilliant! Less than 5 minutes to Read to an ISO (and .cue) and Write the .cue. Perfect copy that works in her car. Thanks for that suggestion.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2132652]Hi,

with EAC, you can rip the audio CD to a huge wav file which is accompanied by a .cue (where the track information is stored). This [I]pair of files[/I] is something roughly similar to .iso images of data discs.
Alternatively, you can rip the discs to single .WAV files that are stored within a folder.

Michael[/QUOTE]

As my first post I’ll start by saying Great forum!

Next, I’m glad to see someone else using EAC.

And I firmly agree with the OP about not carrying expensive
originals in the vehicle.

I Highly recommend EAC both for ripping and burning.

I started using it (after a websearch looking for a CD-Text editor) as
soon as I got a Car Stereo head unit that would display CD Text information.

I have however had some minor issues with the software… particularly with the program’s automatically generated cue sheet.

The CD’s copied via “image” or copying all audio as wavs and creating the cue as a seperate operation played fine in my older (hand me down)
Sony CDX-M610 head unit.

The “problems” (what there were) came when spurred by the desire
to see CD-Text info on CD’s played in my Disc Changer, so I first replaced the Sony EXCD-3 changer I had been running with a CDX-646 changer
That worked fine, however the CDX-646 only displays Disc titles, not trac titles…

Next (ebay to the rescue) I snagged a used CDX-757MX changer,
which DOES display track title information… and here’s where the aggrevation began.
the Disc titles displayed but on SOME burned discs the discs would not begin play immediatly (long delay, much disc “churning” in the changer)
then would begin playing somewhere in the middle of trac 8-10 on the CD.

I could manually jump back a track at a time to track #2 but if I wanted track#1 to play at all I had to “Rewind” manually through the track

As it turned out the “fix” was to either create my own cue sheet manually
(and typing in the tract titles in the “flags” line of the cue sheet)
OR to create a fresh cue cheet and edit in a 5-10second “pregap” to the first track.

This problem was only related to playing discs in my CDX-757MX CD changer. the “problem” discs play fine in the head unit, in in the Pioneer and Alpine head units in friends vehicles.
They also played fine in the previous changers.

I refuse to carry original CD’s in my vehicle where they can be dammaged, lost or stolen.

The fact that my copies have Text information that the originals lack… Icing on the cake.

I got spoiled by having artist and title displayed on my Sirius radio

Now to get something more than the abbreviated filename appended by ~.mp3 when I play an mp3-CD in my mp3 capable changer:)
Though that particular issue may be entirely due to my older head unit.

Allan