Copy & burn time.. using DVD Fab

vbimport

When copying a DVD movie (say 110 minutes in length), it takes an hour and 5 minutes to copy to the hard drive and then 15 minutes to burn… Is that an unusual length of time (1 1/4 hours in total) …?

My computer uses Windows XP and has 2GB ram and lots of spare room on the hard drive.

Are there any settings I can change to make it faster…?

That is far too long. Should be more like 20 minutes to read, decrypt and write the temp file. The burn time sounds normal. There are many possible causes, the most likely of which I think is that you may have the optical read drive and the hard drive that houses the temp file on the same controller (bottlenecking).

I have been using DVD Fab for about a year and it always took 1 1/4 hours to complete the job. When I had my computer upgraded (more ram and a new LG DVD burner), the completion time dropped to approximately 40 minutes so I was quite happy about that. Now, I don’t know what has changed, but the time has gone back to an hour and a quarter. The only thing I can think of was that I downloaded an updated version of DVD Fab recently. Would that have anything to do with it…?

Thanks for any suggestions.

No, it should not. I have not tried the newest version yet though. If you have not defragmented the hard drive recently, try that. If you have installed any new software that burns CDs or DVDs there may be a conflict with that. It is possible that your optical drive is in PIO transfer mode if you tried to read a disc that was scratched or had other errors. Try clicking the Reset DMA button in DVDFab Common Settings->General (this problem usually produces slow burn speeds also, which you do not seem to have). DVDFab really runs better with a large (10GB) area of contiguous free space on the hard drive that hosts the temp file.

[QUOTE=signals;2161474]No, it should not. I have not tried the newest version yet though. If you have not defragmented the hard drive recently, try that. If you have installed any new software that burns CDs or DVDs there may be a conflict with that. It is possible that your optical drive is in PIO transfer mode if you tried to read a disc that was scratched or had other errors. Try clicking the Reset DMA button in DVDFab Common Settings->General (this problem usually produces slow burn speeds also, which you do not seem to have). DVDFab really runs better with a large (10GB) area of contiguous free space on the hard drive that hosts the temp file.[/QUOTE]

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION… I clicked on the DMA button and also, I changed to a drive that had more than 10GB free space and also defragged that drive.

After doing all that, I did a backup of a movie and the total time was only 35 minutes from start to finish…!! Seems like the problem may be solved.

Your help was very much appreciated…!

That’s great news, glad it is running better now. The temp file is a vital piece of DVDFab’s processing, but often overlooked.

how long should it take to do a movie in moble ipod

mine took about 1 hour

When Cloning a dvd is there a way to use my d drive instead of c drive for my temp files? I do not have enough space on c drive

[QUOTE=jyarbs67;2162252]When Cloning a dvd is there a way to use my d drive instead of c drive for my temp files? I do not have enough space on c drive[/QUOTE]
Sure, just change the file path to whatever location you’d like…:wink:
Like so:

[QUOTE=kenbra;2162238]how long should it take to do a movie in moble ipod

mine took about 1 hour[/QUOTE]
Depends on a number of factors such as your hardware, the actual file type, etc.,…
For eg., on my rig for an average size flick…an Ipod conversion to h264 will run about 80 minutes and for the same flick to Ipod mpeg-4, it’s quite a bit faster.

it currently takes me about 3-4 hours to back up a dvd and send to a external hard drive from scratch, the movie is being converted to play on a ps3, is this normal ? it seems really long
am i doing something silly or is this the norm?