Copy and edit copy-protected DVDs

vbimport

I collect movies on DVD. I have several DVRs and DVD and VHS recorders and players. I have several movies I have bought, Smiley’s People, for example, that are 3 DVD sets. I would like to copy them, edit out the “between sequence” stuff, and make 1 slp DVD of them. They are copy protected.
What equipment or software do I need so that I can copy these to a DVR, edit, and make copies? Help.

Not sure why you would need to put them on a DVR.

You can break encryption with DVDFab HD Decrypter. It is free to use. DVDFab has set things up nowadays so that as you use the free decryption/ripping section of the program, you are using up the free 30 day trial. Just a heads up on that. http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Once you have the dvds on the hard drive you can edit them and join them together with VideoReDo TV Suite, or one of the programs from Womble. None of these are free, but there are free trials for each. There are other ways of doing this with free tools, but they are not straightforward. These commercial products are much more convenient.

At this point you’ll have one honking big dvd. You may have to burn to a dual layer disk. And combining three dvds to one, you might have to compress this big dvd just to fit onto a dual layer! Total size on a dual layer dvd is going to be around 7.95gb. Total size you can fit to a single layer will be around 4.38.

If you need to compress the dvd, look at DVDShrink (free at www.mrbass.org ) or the free version of DVDRebuilder if you want the absolute best quality in this dvd. Rebuilder will take a lot longer to process the dvd.

Then burn to a disk. We recommend Verbatim blank dvds around here and if you have to use a dual layer dvd ONLY use Verbatim.
You do have a dvd burner in your computer I hope? I use a free burning program called ImgBurn for all my video burns. There are a lot of guides to using it at their forums.

Now, that’s the way I’d do it on the computer. If you want to do the editing on the dvr, you’ll have to wait for someone else’s input, cause that is outside my experience.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Hi Capt. Ralls,

Your first choice is to unprotect the DVD, you could use DVD43 (http://www.dvd43.com/) since it’s free. However, it will not work in 64-bits systems. Still, there are some DVDs that DVD43 won’t crack. If your DVD happens to be the case, your next choice is AnyDVD from SlySoft. So far, I haven’t seen the first DVD that AnyDVD can’t crack! Also, it works well with 64-bits systems. Why then it was not my first option? Well, AnyDVD is not freeware and the trial version last only 21 days. For prices in your currency, check the SlySoft website (http://www.slysoft.com).

Regards.

[QUOTE=Capt. Ralls;2157892]I collect movies on DVD. I have several DVRs and DVD and VHS recorders and players. I have several movies I have bought, Smiley’s People, for example, that are 3 DVD sets. I would like to copy them, edit out the “between sequence” stuff, and make 1 slp DVD of them. They are copy protected.
What equipment or software do I need so that I can copy these to a DVR, edit, and make copies? Help.[/QUOTE]

►►►[B]ANSWER[/B]◄◄◄

I’ve never loaded DVD movies onto my computer and don’t know how to edit them on it. I have 2 DVRs with good editing qualities. The DVD movies I want to edit are 3 disks containing 2 one hour episodes each. If I could unlock the copyprotect, make unprotected copies, then insert the unprotected copies into my DVR I could edit them (6 hours total in SP speed) and then put them on one disk in SLP speed, which is what I would like to accomplish. I’m sure that there are other better ways and I’d like to learn them. Thanks for the help and any other help greatly appreciated.

Dumb question: If I use DVDFab, for example, to uncrypt the subject copy protected DVDs on my computer, then burn copies of them on the computer, wouldn’t the copy be uncrypted so that I could then copy it on my DVR hard drive and edit it?

[QUOTE=Capt. Ralls;2158673]Dumb question: If I use DVDFab, for example, to uncrypt the subject copy protected DVDs on my computer, then burn copies of them on the computer, wouldn’t the copy be uncrypted so that I could then copy it on my DVR hard drive and edit it?[/QUOTE]
Yes! DVDFab removes both CGMS & APS from commercial DVD so the copy becomes 100% copyiable :slight_smile:

Yes, but why edit with DVR? Do your editing from your PC’s HDD backup,and transfer final to DVR…Does your DVR have editing capabilities/options that no other app has?..As Kerry56 stated above, “Not sure why you would need to put them on a DVR.”…There [I]are[/I] free editor/authoring tools available for simple editing or as recommended, VideoReDo TV Suite or similar apps…FYI, DVDFab Plat/Gold has many features including a ‘Merge’ that you can use to combine DVD’s to one…
But if you [I]must[/I] edit with your DVR, then go right ahead and try it…

Please pardon my ignorance. I downloaded DVDFab, inserted each of the 3 DVDs of “Smiley’s People”, and it said they were successfully copied. They were copied to a folder in “my documents”. I have now tried to burn new copies using Windows Media Player and Nero. Nero told me to insert a CD instead of the DVD-R I had inserted, and when I did told me there was not enough space. Help! How can I burn these 3 DVDs???

Each dvd should be copied to an individual folder, each with a Video_TS folder and an empty Audio_TS folder. How large is each dvd by the way? Many, if not most, commercial dvds are on dual layer dvds and are too large to fit onto a single layer dvd.

If you have to shrink it down to size to fit you will lose a bit of quality. The full version of DVDFab can do this, or a free program like DVDShrink.

Once you’ve determined that the dvd video in question is small enough to fit onto your target disk, I’d use ImgBurn to do the actual burning to disk. I’ve given up on Nero. Imgburn is free to download and use. Here is a tutorial on burning a dvd video in file form to a blank disk: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

You people are great. Thanks so much. I downloaded the 3 free programs, decrypted, shrunk, and copied.
I couldn’t have done it without your help!