Coping DVD to DVD using DVDFab 5.0.8.8

I installed DVDFab 5.0.8.8 beta and used the deCrypter fine to copy and play movies from my hard drive but when I tried to use the DVDFAb Platinum to copy DVD to DVD I ran into problems with the writing portion. It created the temp file but then took almost 18 hours to copy to the DVD and then there was nothing written to the DVD. Please Help

[QUOTE=rpcabqcdf;2124187]I installed DVDFab 5.0.8.8 beta and used the deCrypter fine to copy and play movies from my hard drive but when I tried to use the DVDFAb Platinum to copy DVD to DVD I ran into problems with the writing portion. It created the temp file but then took almost 18 hours to copy to the DVD and then there was nothing written to the DVD. Please Help[/QUOTE]
Hi rpcabqcdf and welcome to cdfreaks,

The first thing that comes to mind is a DMA issue. Please check this. There are 2 links in my sig if you need help with this.

Please post a few burn logs. This will give us a lot of the info we need in order to help you.

The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

[QUOTE=maineman;2124219]Hi rpcabqcdf and welcome to cdfreaks,

The first thing that comes to mind is a DMA issue. Please check this. There are 2 links in my sig if you need help with this.

Please post a few burn logs. This will give us a lot of the info we need in order to help you.

The default location is:
C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/QUOTE]

I checked the DMA and they are set to use DMA if available. I have attached the DVDFab Log with the attemps I made to copy. A few attemps were aborted because of the length of time it was going to take just didn’t seem right but I did let one run to completion.

dvdfab_burn_vso.txt (45.4 KB)

Thanks for the logs.

Recommend that you change your blank media from CMC to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. The entry “Not Applicable to this bus type” might be related to the media, but I think you have additional problems.

Your ODD has a SATA interface, but is configured as an IDE drive.
Is this drive connected directly to the motherboard?
I don’t see where your drive is in DMA mode and since it’s configured as an IDE drive, then the DMA/PIO modes apply, despite it being a SATA ODD.
The entry in device manager “[I]DMA if available[/I]” is not sufficient.
This is not the same as a DMA mode
Please look in your bios and make certain DMA is enabled for this drive.

Avg. burn rate 0.06…:eek:
No wonder you’re unhappy

[QUOTE=maineman;2124506]Thanks for the logs.

Recommend that you change your blank media from CMC to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. The entry “Not Applicable to this bus type” might be related to the media, but I think you have additional problems.

Your ODD has a SATA interface, but is configured as an IDE drive.
Is this drive connected directly to the motherboard?
I don’t see where your drive is in DMA mode and since it’s configured as an IDE drive, then the DMA/PIO modes apply, despite it being a SATA ODD.
The entry in device manager “[I]DMA if available[/I]” is not sufficient.
This is not the same as a DMA mode
Please look in your bios and make certain DMA is enabled for this drive.

Avg. burn rate 0.06…:eek:
No wonder you’re unhappy[/QUOTE]

Thanks Maineman, I tried what you suggest in the bios but unfortunately the only option was Off, On, RAID On. I scrolled through all of the other bios options SYSTEM, PROCESSOR, MEMORY, PCI, DATE/TIME, BOOT, ONBOARD DEVICES, LED CONTROL, PERFORMANCE, SECURITY, POWER MANGEMENT, MAINTENANCE, and POST BEHAVIOR, but none had any settings for DMA. I also loked in the Device Manager in the SCSI and RAid Controllers and for the that DVD drive it was set to let bios determine. The seletion box when let bios determine was unselected allowed two choices Serial ATA Generation 1 -1.5G or PIO Mode. I’m unsure what to check next.

Hi again,
Not home right now so just a quick look…
Are you set up as RAID?
Try choosing RAID off if you’re able and if you haven’t already… and select SATA…not PIO

Good luck, sorry, gotta run

[QUOTE=maineman;2124541]Hi again,
Not home right now so just a quick look…
Are you set up as RAID?
Try choosing RAID off if you’re able and if you haven’t already… and select SATA…not PIO

Good luck, sorry, gotta run[/QUOTE]

Hello Maineman, thanks again for your help. I went back to the 2nd link to reset the DMA and ran the script. It solved the problem! Yeah, thank you for the link. I read through all the comments on this subject, wow what a mess it can be. In the link it said you could download the resetdma.vbs file rather than just cliking on the link but I could not find where to download to have on hand if this situations raises it ugly head again as described in the discussion. Any advise on this, can I copy the script to notepad and save, and then how do I run it. It’s been a lot of years since I have done anything like this and I am a bit rusty.

Also, I have a request for advise on a good VHS to DVD PCI card and editing software to convert my old VHS tapes both recorded and purchased to DVD. Do you have any suggestions for a good card and software.

Thanks so much for your help, Bob.

Hey Bob,

Good deal, happy to help and glad to hear you solved the issue. Yeah, that little .VBS Script file comes in darn handy on occasion. There also is a reset DMA button in Fab > Common Settings…although this reset is not as reliable.

As to saving the .VBS Script file, just right click on the link I provided where it says:
[B]here[/B]
then left click [B]Save Target As[/B] and you should be all set.

I’ve never tried to convert VHS media to digital with a pc…it always seemed like too much of a hassle.
I just hook my old VHS to a dvd recorder.
In my case I had hacked the recorder to disable macrovision, etc., but if you’re not able to do this, there are devices that’ll accomplish this at a reasonable cost. Sorry I don’t recall the names right now, but if you do a search on the forum, you should get some hits…or post a request in the appropriate forum.

You can also get some feedback re: hardware/software if you elect to do it with your pc.
When I get a chance, I’ll take a look though…:wink: