Copied DVDs do not play in standalone Player (Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]:o I’m using 123CopyDVD 2008 software to copy DVD. The DVD plays in my HP Pc (same burner/reader) but will not play in standalone player. (new Sony DVD Recoder player).
I have tried both -R, +R DVD’s (Memorex) and when I put in satndalone it either freezes or starts skipping through the DVD.

I contacted 123Copy DVD but they indicated my writer might not be able to write these formats. The specs say it can…
What am I doing wrong… Is there an upgrade for this driver?
Any ideas?

[quote=rascallyrabbit;2116537]qanda and when I put in satndalone it either freezes or starts skipping through the DVD.

[/quote]
The freezing and skipping is due to a too fast burn speed. [B]Lower your burn speed![/B] Memorex is not good media and you should burn at half the rated speed for them. If rated 16x burn at 8x, if rated 8x burn at 4x.

This is probably a problem with the media you are using. Slowing down the burn speed might help, but I think you would be better off using Verbatim 16x media. And I’d try burning it at 12x or 8x.

My Samsung 203B burns Verbatim +R 16x very well at 8x.

Memorex varies greatly in quality, ranging from mediocre to poor. They use different suppliers, so it is hard to know exactly what disks you will get…and they seem to get less than the best disks available from those suppliers anyway.

Your copy program is one that I am not familiar with. Does this rip and compress the movie to fit onto a single layer dvd? It might be part of the problem. If you continue to have freezes and skipping, even after changing the media to Verbatim and slowing down the burning speed, this program is next on the list of suspects.

There are free tools that are highly recommended around here if you care to look at them, including the regularly updated free decryption program DVDFab HD Decrypter, the compression program DVDShrink, and the free burning program called ImgBurn.

The DVD +R’s were Verbatim.
Is that the bit rate they talk about – which is set to auto?

They give you 3 options copy DVD to DVD, copies the DVD exactly or Copy the Movie only or copy to Dual layer. I have tried the first two options with same results. The DVD plays in 3 different PC’s (home, work and laptop) but not in standalone.

Do I need to save movie to Harddrive first (other than temp directory which they utilize when the “copy DVD” is selected) and then use the Create DVD mode?

The 123copydvd.com has a free 24 hour download to test software. I bought it after testing but didn’t try my standalone.

Since it takes the movie and places it in a temp directory, you are decrypting and ripping to the hard drive before burning. So I doubt that doing it manually will change anything.

The first question is, will the program allow you to set the burning speed? If so, slow the blasted thing down.

Bitrate in video refers to the amount of information, or detail that is included per unit of time. Higher bitrates yield better quality (up to a point), but result in larger files. If your file has to fit a certain size, say a single layer dvd, then you can only have so high a bitrate in order for it to fit. You should almost certainly leave it on auto in this program

123copydvd is not exactly a good dvd backup program and to me I think you wasted your money on it. I may have it but I have not used it for awhile and believe I need to pay more money for the recent update. Why don’t you download dvdfab hd decryptor it is a free program and is updated all the time. Then you need dvdshrink so you can compress the dvd so it fits on a dvd+r or -r blank. dvdshrink works with the nero burning rom or you can use ImgBurn but I not know how for that but someone else does. Also anydvd along with clonedvd is good and gives a free 21 day trial. dvdfab also gives a fgree trial for their 2 pay programs. try them out and see what works for you

In regards to advice above, here is an option. Posts #67 to #74, but please read Post #78 & post any questions you have in your thread here.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-0-2-2-not-ready-big-league-245636/index3.html

RASCALLY RABBIT
Try using sony dvd+rs. They usually work pretty good
for me.
ZAP.

[QUOTE=rascallyrabbit;2116542]The DVD +R’s were Verbatim.
Is that the bit rate they talk about – which is set to auto?

They give you 3 options copy DVD to DVD, copies the DVD exactly or Copy the Movie only or copy to Dual layer. I have tried the first two options with same results. The DVD plays in 3 different PC’s (home, work and laptop) but not in standalone.

Do I need to save movie to Harddrive first (other than temp directory which they utilize when the “copy DVD” is selected) and then use the Create DVD mode?

The 123copydvd.com has a free 24 hour download to test software. I bought it after testing but didn’t try my standalone.[/QUOTE]

Part of the problem might be the software your using to copy your dvd. Might be better to use something like DVDfab Plat or AnyDVD with either CloneCD or CloneDVD to make better backup DVD. But also as Kerry56 mention burn speed makes alot of difference but also make sure you defrag your HDD for better copies. I use memorex and had good results in burning but I burned memorex DL at 2.4x speed not max or default to get better results.