Copied DVD jumps in DVD player - help!

i have been backing up my DVD collection using my computer to burn the copies. my DVD drive is an NEC DVD±RW ND-3530A . i have been using “Verbatim DVD+recordable 4.7GB 120min 16x certified” discs.

when i play the copies on any computer dvd drive, they play fine. however, when i put them in my Sony DVD player connected to my TV the dvd will get to a certain point and then jump back a few chapters and does exactly the same thing at the same point when i try to play it again. it does this on all the copied discs i have tried, meanwhile my original dvds work fine.

To back up the dvds i use AnyDVD 4.5.6.2 and CloneDVD.

the dvd player is a Sony DVP - NS305. is there a problem with the dvd player? will this jumping happen on other dvd players? is it best to buy a new dvd player and if so any suggestions as to which ones will not jump? i really don’t want to have to re-copy my dvds.

please somebody help me!

What speed did you burn at? Is it happening at the same place (or near) on any movie? Do you defrag your HD frequently and shutdown unnecessary background tasks?

Start by defragging your HD. Then shutdown unnecessary tasks. Copy the movie to your HD first. Then burn the movie from your HD to the dvd, at 8x speed and see if the problem goes away. If so, try again at 12x and see if it is still ok. If you have nero, run nero cdspeed to see if your dvd’s quality is good or bad, and post back the results.

thanks for the advice but i have no idea how to do anything you just said. i read somewhere that sony dvd players are picky with different types of media.

plus i have already backed up almost my entire dvd collection and re-copying them would cost me another 150 discs. what about buying a new dvd player? my current player is pretty old.

Do you have another player besides a sony? or maybe a friend that has something other than sony. I had a simular problem with a sony. check out my thread

My Sony problem

You may be having a different issue than I did but I found that other players worked fine, while the sony had problems. The only solution I found was to switch DVD copy software and I have not had a problem since. As a quick test you could download DVDFAB and give it a try. It has a free trial so it wouldn’t cost you anything to try. I understand not wanting to spend money to get another 150 disc but burn a single disc with DVDFAB to see if that is even the problem.

what software did you change from/to?

currently i’m burning one of the copied dvds at a slower speed (12x) to see if that works.

I was using dvd decrypter and dvd shrink but then switched to DVDFAB. Sorry I think you were posting while I was editing my message. :smiley:

Download here:
DVDFAB Download

is dvd fab better than clonedvd then?

It’s hard to say. I have never used clonedvd. I just know that DVDFAB worked well for me. I know a lot of people are using the anydvd and clonedvd along with many other solutions. I would just go for the DVDFAB trial and see if you like it. I have used the following:

1click DVD copy
DVD Cloner II
DVD decrypter
DVD Shrink
DVD43
AnyDVD

None of the above solutions helped my sony problem, but DVDFAB did.

@ trent7

Go buy another stand-alone desk top DVD player if you really want to but first you need to find out exactly why your previously copied DVD don’t play properly.

The recommendations suggested by Forum Member harley2ride are simple basic computer tasks and not nuclear science. It would be prudent to learn how to perform these tasks before you needlessly spend additional money backing up your DVD collection.

To run Disk Defragmenter. Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter. Open Disk Defragmenter and on the top Menu Bar there is a Help Question Mark Icon. Click on the Help Question Mark Icon and a detailed help file is displaced that provides detailed information on how to defragment your hard drive. Disk Deframention is a preventative maintenance task that needs to be preformed routinely to keep your computer operating properly.

Acquire a free copy of Nero CD-DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_401.zip) and perform a ScanDisc surface scan of your suspect DVD copies and check for errors. The below Forum link shows how to use Nero CD-DVD Speed and do a ScanDisc surface scan. And Red (bad) sectors indicate that the suspect DVD contains errors and mostly the reason the DVD will not play properly on your stand alone desk top DVD play back device.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1044611&postcount=58

Best Regards,
bjkg

P.S- I seriously doubt that buying a new stand-alone desktop DVD player will correct your problem.

thanks for the help everyone.

one more question, i notice you said the try burning at 8x speed in stead of 16x. what difference does this produce? could someone explain the result of burning at the different speeds and why one may work in a dvd player and the other not work?

also, i took your advice and performed the nero scan disc utility. there appears to be no errors on the disc.

As member bjkg said it is a good idea to run defrag on your system every once in while to clean up your system and make it run better. I would also highly recomend a spyware program if you don’t have one already. There are several that are free if you do a search on google (adware, bazooka, search and destroy, ect…). Also is there any other program running on your machine during the burn? Like anti-virus or firewall type programs?

I don’t think you have a real serious PC problem since the copies play fine on your PC and only fail on your DVD player. BTW do all your discs act this way. In a early post you mentioned you had 150 discs. Do all 150 misbehave or is it only a few.

@ trent7,

If the Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc surface scan of your suspect DVD copies reveals no errors (Red Bad sectors) then your back up copying procedure are providing goods data burns. This trouble shooting procedure has revealed that your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device is the culprit.

Suggest getting a DVD cleaning disk and clean your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device. Also you could obtain a can of pressurized air and spay out the DVD loading slot. After cleaning your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device try again and see if you can play your back up copies. If not then in fact it is time to see about purchasing a new stand-alone desktop play back device.

Each person has his or her “Best DVD Copying” software program. I can attest by over two years of use on three different computers systems that the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software combination available from SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) is a stable software program and works flawlessly. I have made over a thousand DVD back up copies and rarely ever have a back up copy fail to play on numerous stand-alone desktop play back device. It is imperative to use top of the line DVD media, a good quality DVD Burner with the newest most up to date firmware, and known error free back up software. Any short cuts in this area will only prove to cause problems.

Slowing down the burning speed reduces the chances of producing data write errors. If you are using good quality blank DVD media and using a good quality DVD Burner with the latest firmware it should not be necessary to slow down the burning speed. Knowledgeable Forum Members suggest this as a trouble-shooting tool when providing assistance to Forum Members who are experiencing problems with quality data burns.

Best Regards,
bjkg

The sony is the problem but the trick is to find out why. I would try the following:

• Use a lens cleaner disc as Bjkg suggests
  • Update your anyDVD package to the latest, I beleive its 5.4.4.1
  • Change your media brand to Sony or TDK as a test
  • Switch from DVD+R to DVD-R to see if it makes any difference

I don’t know that much about anydvd but I noticed you are running an older vesion of the software. I would upgrade that package if thats what you are going to use from now on. There is a copy protection that a lot of the other packages miss and I beleive it’s called aacross or somthing like that. There is a thread here about the “lords of dog town” DVD which uses this protection and anydvd would not copy the disc unless you had the most recent version. This was also true for FABDVD. I am sure others here could tell you more about that. I don’t know if that has anything to do with your problem but it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade your anydvd as I noticed a lot of updates since your older version.

Here is a link to the history revision of anydvd
anyDVD Revision History

thanks for all the advice.

so burning a dvd at 8x speed makes no difference to the quality of the backup dvd? it simply burns the same data at a slower speed?

the thing which gets me is that the sony dvd player will play the original dvds without any problem at all.

the dvds that i have scanned using the scandisc software have turned up with no errors. will it make a blind bit of difference if i re-copy these dvds but burn at a slower speed?

@ trent7

That is a vital important piece of information that you failed to provide. Something doesn’t jive here. Are you sure that you conducted the Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc surface scan test correctly. If in fact the Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc surface scan test of a suspect back up copy did not reveal any Red (Bad sectors) then your suspect back up copy should play flawlessly in your in Sony stand-alone desktop play back device if the original commercially manufactured DVD plays in your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device.

Request that you provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code referred to as the MID (Example: RitekG05) of one of the suspect backup copies that fail to play properly in your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device. To obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code referred to as the MID (Example: RitekG05) use the DiscInfo function of Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Also provide the Model Number of your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device.

As stated above something is wrong if Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc surface scan test of the suspect back up reveals no Red (Bad sectors) and the back of copy fails to play in your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device. Providing the above requested information will provide vital information in determining exactly what your problem is.

It is extremely important to always use the most up to date versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD when making your back up copies. Always obtain the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs from SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) it insure you getting the official releases directly from the manufacture.

Best Regards,
bjkg

PS - Please confirm that you in fact were using the real original CloneDVD software product from either Elaborate Bytes or SlySoft and not the inferior rip off copycat Clone DVD product from CloneDVD.Net when you were making your back up copies. I have assumed that you were using the real original CloneDVD software product from either Elaborate Bytes or SlySoft because you using the AnyDVD software product. Please confirm exactly which CloneDVD product you were using when making your back up copies.To alleviate any confusion please provide the version number of the Clone DVD product that you used when making the suspect back up copies that fail to play correctly in your Sony stand alone desk top play back device.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=sony+NS305&Search=Search&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

He supplied the model of his DVD player, why didn’t anyone look it up?

Not a lot of people seem to have tested DVD-/+Rs, but there is definitely one person who shares your problem. I think you might just need to get a new one. Research it at VideoHelp before buying, of course.

[QUOTE=bjkg]@ trent7

That is a vital important piece of information that you failed to provide.

Request that you provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code referred to as the MID (Example: RitekG05) of one of the suspect backup copies that fail to play properly in your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device. To obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code referred to as the MID (Example: RitekG05) use the DiscInfo function of Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Also provide the Model Number of your Sony stand-alone desktop play back device.

i said in my first post that the sony dvd player played the original dvds without a problem.
Manufacturer ID: Verbatim
Media code MID: MCC 004 (000)
Sony dvd player: SONY DVP-NS305
anydvd 4.5.6.2
clonedvd (elaborate bytes) 2.6.2.3

@ tehGrue,

You are correct that in posting #1 Forum Member trent7 did provide the Model Number of his Sony stand-alone desktop play back device. I made a mistake and over looked that information.

If in fact the original commercial DVD title plays correctly in his Sony DVP-NS305 stand-alone desktop play back device Forum Member’s trent7 playback device is working correctly. Forum Member’s trent7 problem is that it appears that there is some undetermined play back problem with his 150 backed up copied DVDs. Prudent troubling shooting procures would be to positively identify exactly why these suspect 150 backed up copied DVDs fail to play correctly before purchasing a new stand-alone desktop play back device.

We need to have Forum Member trent7 to provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code referred to as the MID (Example: RitekG05) of one of the suspect backup copies that fail to play properly in his Sony DVP-NS305 stand-alone desktop play back device. If the MID is one of the one listed at Video Help as playing correctly in the Sony DVP-NS305 there is no need of purchasing a new stand-alone desktop play back device. The problem lies someplace else.

@ trent7 – Have you tried playing some of the suspect back up copies in another stand-alone desktop play back device. If so what was the results?

Best Regards,
bjkg