Cool and Silent

First time here, so…

Hello to all, :slight_smile:

I’m on the verge of building a new Multimedia PC and I would like some help choosing the right burning and reading components.

Reader:

• Read speed should be adjustable +/- 6X for DVD playback and as fast as possible for ripping.

In case there isn’t a device that possesses both properties, the use of two different readers is an option.

At all events, I need one reader that is silent and doesn’t heat up the DVD.

Writer:

• Which gives high compatibility burnings.
  • Adjustable burning speed. I never burn my movies > 2X speed.

Last question:

Should I go for SATA or IDE.
(I’m a bit scared of SATA-DVD drives because I don’t know if one can easily boot into DOS from it)

Thanks in advance,
Miner49’er

Hi and Welcome,[QUOTE=Miner49’er]
I’m on the verge of building a new Multimedia PC and I would like some help choosing the right burning and reading components.[Maybe getting two DVD writers isn’t a bad idea.

Reader:

• Read speed should be adjustable +/- 6X for DVD playback and as fast as possible for ripping.
    I’d prefer getting a Liteon SHW-160P6S or SHM-165P/H6S (or its Sony twin) or one of the new Samsung drives. These are rather good readers. My Sony DW-G120A (same hardware as Liteon SHM-165P6S) and my Samsung SH-W163A are rather quiet drives, but I have to admit that they are not the fastest DVD (video) rippers. Most modern drives read DVD video discs at slower speeds by default.

At all events, I need one reader that is silent and doesn’t heat up the DVD.
No issues like that with the drives I mentioned.

Writer:

• Which gives high compatibility burnings.
    Any recent drive should do this job very well, provided it is fed with quality media. You may check the reviews and the user comments in the product specific forum sections.
  • Adjustable burning speed. I never burn my movies > 2X speed.
    Modern media is optimized for high writing speeds. If burned at low speeds, quality may get very poor. So it preferred to burn modern media at its rated speed or a tick below. Most 16x rated media performs very good at 8x or 12x, 8x rated discs should be written at 8x.

Last question:

Should I go for SATA or IDE.
This depends on your mainboard. If there are native PATA (IDE) connectors, then PATA drives are a good idea, because there is more choice (and better firmware support). If your mainboard (like some very recent intel based mainboards) is only equipped with SATA ports, then get a SATA drive, but there are not very much products available.

(I’m a bit scared of SATA-DVD drives because I don’t know if one can easily boot into DOS from it)
I own a SATA Samsung SH-W163A, that is connected to a Promise PCI controller. I can boot into plain DOS, but I am not able to install Windows (for example). This is not a matter of the drive, but of the controller the drive is connected to.

Michael

Hi mciahel :slight_smile:

Thx for the reply, it burnes away a lot of brumes in my mind.
Yesterday I spent all day browsing the forum but there are so many topics I couldn’t see the wood for the trees. :frowning:

[Maybe getting two DVD writers isn’t a bad idea.

Agreed.

I’d prefer getting a Liteon SHW-160P6S or SHM-165P/H6S (or its Sony twin) or one of the new Samsung drives. These are rather good readers. My Sony DW-G120A (same hardware as Liteon SHM-165P6S) and my Samsung SH-W163A are rather quiet drives, but I have to admit that they are not the fastest DVD (video) rippers. Most modern drives read DVD video discs at slower speeds by default.

Perhaps I better take three writers then, one for reading, one for writing and one with ripguard removed for fast ripping.
Can you point one out for the latter usage?

Modern media is optimized for high writing speeds. If burned at low speeds, quality may get very poor. So it preferred to burn modern media at its rated speed or a tick below. Most 16x rated media performs very good at 8x or 12x, 8x rated discs should be written at 8x.

Didn’t know that!!
For over five years now I use Platinums (CD & DVD) and [B]never[/B] had a coaster. (Burned over 2000 of them)
I must admit though that all my hardware is more than five years old except for an Aldi PC that is only three.

This depends on your mainboard. If there are native PATA (IDE) connectors, then PATA drives are a good idea, because there is more choice (and better firmware support).

It will have only one native PATA. “ASUS Striker Extreme” so if I go for three drives one will have to be SATA.
The reader perhaps?

I own a SATA Samsung SH-W163A, that is connected to a Promise PCI controller. I can boot into plain DOS, but I am not able to install Windows (for example). This is not a matter of the drive, but of the controller the drive is connected to.

OK, if I make the SATA - PATA mix problem solved :slight_smile: