Cool, a forum for Linux!

Hi, folks -

First post.
Been experimenting with Linux for a few years. Have been curious about making back-ups of our commercial DVD’s but never dove into it.

We have a modern laptop dual-booted with Vista and Ubuntu 8.04. I’ve installed several apps - ManDVD, Thoggen, dvd::rip, acidrip, DeVeDe, but finding it all quite confusing. End up with results that don’t work for various reasons: only recorded the main title, language is French instead of English, director’s commentary is laid over the soundtrack, finished disc won’t run in Windows or stand-alone, etc.

The laptop’s optical drive says “DL”. I’m willing to pay the bucks for double-layer DVD’s if that would simplify things. If the burner is capable, can a guy just go into Brasero and click on “Make a 1:1 copy”?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Too bad there are not very effective solutions running under Linux to make 1:1 backups of video DVDs, mainly for some recent titles with b****rd (:p) protections.

The most reliable solution currently is using ImgBurn with AnyDVD to rip the original as ISO file, and then ImgBurn to write the ISO on a disc.

ImgBurn can run with no problems under WINE in Linux, but I have no idea if also AnyDVD is able to run in Linux :frowning:

18,000 + posts!

Wow!

Hey, I’ll report back with some results. Just bought a short spindle of DL’s and will see how many coasters I can make. Also experimenting with some of the afore-mentioned programs. Acidrip is on its second pass with Tim Burton’s “Planet of the Apes”. Should create a file I can burn to a 4.7 GB DVD.

I think.

An important thing with DL discs is the layer break position. ImgBurn, for what I know, is one of the very few software able to save this information when ripping a disc.

Here is what I use for copying DVD’s with Linux using Wine:

Dvddecrypter
DvdFab decrypter
Dvdshrink
Imgburn

There are Linux apps available but I’m used to the above.

I’ve never had a need for Anydvd so I don’t know if works with Wine.

Hi Whappo, I have installed DVDFab on Ubuntu and it works fine, however I can’t figure out how to register it. How did you manage this ?

Thank You

[QUOTE=geno888;2170543]An important thing with DL discs is the layer break position. ImgBurn, for what I know, is one of the very few software able to save this information when ripping a disc.[/QUOTE]

When Brasero was done reading the movie disc I ejected and popped in DL DVD. The laptop looked at it, spun it up, slowed down, looked some more, then ejected it. Brasero said something about incorrect media. I don’t know if Brasero was the stumbling block or if my optical drive can’t write DL. If the optical drive’s door has “DL” stamped on it does that mean that it should be able to burn DL? Or just that it can read DL and write to SL?

[QUOTE=wartbump;2171714]Hi Whappo, I have installed DVDFab on Ubuntu and it works fine, however I can’t figure out how to register it. How did you manage this ?

Thank You[/QUOTE]

I have only used the free version so I can’t help with the registration.
Sorry.

Thanks Whappo, I have written to DVDFab support

[QUOTE=Telkwa;2172188]When Brasero was done reading the movie disc I ejected and popped in DL DVD. The laptop looked at it, spun it up, slowed down, looked some more, then ejected it. Brasero said something about incorrect media. I don’t know if Brasero was the stumbling block or if my optical drive can’t write DL. If the optical drive’s door has “DL” stamped on it does that mean that it should be able to burn DL? Or just that it can read DL and write to SL?[/QUOTE]

It is possible that the drive (or the firmware) is not able to read DL discs. The only solution is to update firmware.

Another possibility is that the disc is in some way difficult to read, because is scratched or with some minor defects not visible with eyes.

Finally, is possible that brasero is not enough updated to cope with some protections in the disc. The only solution is to use a different software. Other than AnyDVD and DVDFab Decrypter I can’t think to other alternatives :frowning:

Hi, geno -
Thanks for writing back. I didn’t explain myself very well. Brasero refused to proceed with a blank, name brand, DL DVD. It was not an encrypted movie DVD.
I’m thinking that either the drive is physically incapable of burning DL, or Brasero isn’t capable of telling the drive what to do. The laptop is dual-booted with Vista, so I oughta get off my lazy you-know-what and show some initiative. Boot into Windows and see if the burning app is OK with a blank DL DVD.

EDIT: Started up the lappy and went into Windows. Opened NTI 7 - I think it was 7 - and it recognized a blank disc as a DVD-9, 8.something free space, etc. I didn’t try burning a bunch of data, just wanted to see if the disc was summarily rejected like when in Brasero. It appears not at this point. NTI has an .avi to mpeg converter function. Wonder if I could rip .avi files in Linux, then burn the files in Windows? That’s probably an unnecessarily complicated way to do it.

hmm so it is a software issue :doh:

Too bad regarding burning and video backup only Windows offer software really working (and constantly updated).

We must rely on WINE :smiley:

Although I’m running Ubuntu with the GNOME interface, I’d read good things about k9copy and k3b, both KDE applications. I don’t like installing KDE stuff to GNOME but went ahead and did it.
Using this guide

I’ve been able to burn some DVD-5’s that are even playing on our old Windows 2000 PC running Intervideo WinDVD.
Used DVD+R, in settings clicked “Burn with K3B” pretty much followed the instructions in that web page for the rest of it. WHen k9 is done, it opens K3B and moves the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files into the K3B menu. I don’t understand what _TS means, but I popped the commercial DVD out, tossed in the single layer DVD+R, and clicked “Burn”.
I’ve only tried two rips so far, but so far so good. I burned only the main title, so there are no menus, language choices, etc.