Cookie consent message

vbimport

I’ve tried to avoid it as long as possible but after several warning I’ve now also implemented the cookie consent message on Myce, simply because it’s obliged under European law (under which Myce falls).

You’ve probably seen the message on many sites as well and clicked OK. While I’m incredibly for privacy (and therefore the Myce.com frontpage has the option to disable all ads and social media, but that works by placing a cookie) I feel this cookie consent message is incredibly useless. I believe it would have been better if all browser developers would have added something to their software to make it easier for users to manage cookies.

Nevertheless, like every other website we have to stick to the law and therefore we now also have to interrupt your browsing experience with a cookie consent message.

If you would like more information on our use of cookies, then read our cookie policy:

Basically we use Google Adsense, Google Analytics and social media widgets from AddThis (which in its turn loads Twitter, Facebook, Google+ etc.) this is like most websites you visit, we don’t use any other tracking stuff…

Thanks for the up-front message, DoMi. :slight_smile:

The cookie warning is one of the most useless internet laws ever invented, but even useless laws have to be obeyed. :cool:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2757639]The cookie warning is one of the most useless internet laws ever invented, but even useless laws have to be obeyed. :cool:[/QUOTE]

In Alabama, putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.

In the USA, makers of clothes irons must include a warning not to iron your clothes while you are wearing them.

I may need to look up some useless laws & post them.
They always bring a laugh .
I don’t know if this is still a law but it used to be against the law in Texas to fly an airplane with spurs on. I wonder how many times that actually happened. My brother has a small plane pilots license & I’ve never seen him strap on spurs to go flying.

[B]On the topic of the cookie warning: Is it possible to make it a lot smaller ?[/B]

[QUOTE=CDan;2757653]In Alabama, putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.

In the USA, makers of clothes irons must include a warning not to iron your clothes while you are wearing them.[/QUOTE] Those are useless laws, but if you break them there’s a good chance of getting nominated for the Darwin Awards.

The cookie law is pointless, because in order to determine if the user will accept that you save a cookie on his behalf, you have to first ask and then remember if the user said yes or no by… saving a cookie regardless of the answer!?! :doh:

It might be legal to [I]not[/I] save the user’s answer if he says no, but then you’ll annoy the hell out of users by asking the same cookie question e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e t-i-m-e.

But there are people who I’d like to see have their clothes Ironed while wearing them…

I guess I’m the only one that has a problem with the large size of the banner.
I could still see & press the button if it was a forth of the size.

We’re actually using a third-party script, used on millions of sites to show the warning cholla. We’re doing this to be sure we comply with the law.

There are extensions for e.g. Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/i-dont-care-about-cookies/?src=search) and Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cookiesok/afmkbjoakcacgljcdccofbffloabfbni) that should automatically close the warning.

I don’t know if those are the best ones, as I don’t use them, but I’ve seen them recommended before.

You could also block http://s3.amazonaws.com/cc.silktide.com/cookieconsent.latest.min.js somewhere, that should not only remove it on our site, but also on many others :wink:

Thanks DoMiN8ToR , I will see what I can do about blocking it .I hope it doesn’t block other amazon sites I want . I guess I will see.

I use Opera beta which is Chrome based but I use as few extensions as possible.
I no longer use any ad blocking ones. I rely entirely on my hosts file for this.

Unless they have changed ImgBurn has a smaller warning for this.

So far no success at blocking it with the host file .
It will be interesting to see what I added to the hosts file does block.

I looked at the “CookiesOK” extension . To me the “cure” was more invasive than the
cookie consent message.

This is one of the few sites I don’t mind sharing a cookie with. 🍪

@cholla, I think a lot :wink:

@UTR, thank you UTR, much appreciated! I do care about my own privacy, and also that of our visitors. You don’t want to know how many offers I’ve already declined that could make $$ for allowing more tracking stuff. (e.g. there are companies that only want to put a pixel on your site and pay per time the pixel is loaded - to track), all declined and I rather shut down the site than to be dependent on these kind of services.

I added this to the hosts file :

127.0.0.1 s3.amazonaws.com

This didn’t seem to stop the banner at first. So I thought it didn’t work.
So I tried this:
I then did a clean with CCleaner , cleaned the Opera browser cache with its’ cleanup & rebooted.

That did it no cookie consent banner.

It’s not that I don’t trust the cookies but I clean them out regularly from all sites. I just hated having to click the “permission” button on the banner all the time.

^ that’s probably gonna be helpful for other folks. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2758452]^ that’s probably gonna be helpful for other folks. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I hope it is.
I couldn’t have found it without the information Domi provided .
He thinks a lot :wink:

Oh thank the maker! A cookie banner remover. I used the add on for Firefox that Dominator posted, it works great. As you US Guys would say, AWESOME! Thanks Domi.

A lot of sites add a disclaimer that says “using this site means you agree to cookies”, that seems to be legal. As CCleaner removes them all when I leave a browser, what does it matter. Malwarebytes and Kaspersky catches the nasties. (I hope)