ConvertXtoDVD - 3.6.4.158 - Released 29th of May 2009

=========================

• Fix a problem with some CPU instruction ( AMD Phenom for example ) in trial mode, preventing to convert.
  • updated translations.
  • vsoscaler.dll is not required anymore and has been removed from the package ( vsoscaler was actually Intel IPP scaler )
  • setup script updated.

URL:
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

Download:
http://www.vso-software.fr/download_product_direct.php?product=convertxtodvd

Well the new Convertxtodvd 3.6.4.158 beta has made some significant changes in it’s scaler (I believe it’s Lanczos based now).

[I]the main “big” difference in this version is a new scaler… what is the scaler ? , it is the part where we need to resize the picture ( so frame by frame ) to adapt to the DVD resolution ( PAL and NTSC are different resolution ), where we need to downscale or upscale the picture to fit the only possible resolution of the DVD.
in this part, which can be very important and cpu consuming, we also need to make some color convertion ( RGB to YUV which is the standard for video on tv ), this step and the rescaler has been completely rewritten, and that’s why it is a beta version.

speed and color should be better and faster, your comment on this part will be welcome. [/I]

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2284204]Well the new Convertxtodvd 3.6.4.158 beta has made some significant changes in it’s scaler (I believe it’s Lanczos based now).
[I][B]the main “big” difference in this version is a new scaler… what is the scaler [/B]? , it is the part where we need to resize the picture ( so frame by frame ) to adapt to the DVD resolution ( PAL and NTSC are different resolution ), where we need to downscale or upscale the picture to fit the only possible resolution of the DVD.
in this part, which can be very important and cpu consuming, we also need to make some color convertion ( RGB to YUV which is the standard for video on tv ), this step and the rescaler has been completely rewritten, and that’s why it is a beta version.

speed and color should be better and faster, your comment on this part will be welcome. [/I][/QUOTE] Read this in the above changelog:

[B] vsoscaler.dll is not required anymore and has been removed from the package ( vsoscaler was actually Intel IPP scaler )

• setup script updated.[/B]
                There is no more scaler. the vsoscaler.dll has been removed.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2284214]Read this in the above changelog:

[B] There is no more scaler. [/B]the vsoscaler.dll has been removed.[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to say Allan??? The video [B]has[/B] to be resized.

CXD was using fast bilinear, I believe they have now moved to a Lanczos based version which should provide a sharper image.

[I]Info Video processing: Fast bilinear resampler (624336)->(720460)[/I]

Tests were done and found that Intel IPP filters (vsoscaler.dll) weren’t that good and bugs were reported to Intel but they don’t seem interested to fix it, so VSO has decided to rewrite the resize filters from scratch. If you did a clean install, the installation script no longer has vsocaler.dll (or swscale.dll - old FFMPEG scaler) in it. If you still find it in the CXD installation folder, just rename it to something else or remove it, or do a cleanvso and reinstall. The new scaler is now internal to the program, no DLL is used.

There are numerous filters available but are not exposed until v4 release. The 3 interested filters are fast linear (top speed), linear (compromise between speed and quality), and lanczos (quality). I think it’s either fast linear or linear is the default, but linear is already pretty good.

The 2-pass option will be exposed in v4. I’ve done some tests but find only slight quality gain in 2-pass over 1-pass, except that it will be slower for 2-pass. However, if you enable multicore support, it’ll be pretty quick.