Convertion of stereo to DTS/DD

Hi

I want to connect my laptop to my TV (BeoVision 7-32"), so I can playback MP3 from the laptop via the TV and to the speakers (this is active speakers connected to the TV).
I want to send the music digitally from the PC to the TV, but the digital input of the TV only accepts Dolby Digital and DTS (no PCM). (The TV has a build-in surround decoder).

So do any of you know a filter/plugin for windows that can convert the music (during playback) to DTS or DD?

Thanks,
Karsten

If your laptop does not have a digital out connector you will not be able to send digital information to the digital input of your tv. You just can’t put headphone jack output to digital input and convert it to digital sound. It doesn’t work that way.

Creative (those Soundblaster guys) do have a USB soundcard with digital output. Perhaps that’s the best solution?

Thanks Belvedere

I do know that (I am working with Audio electronics on a daily basis)

My laptop has an optical digital output (S/PDIF) in a mini-jack connector. I have converted the optical to an electrical S/PDIF and feed it into the TV, and it works fine! When I play DVDs with DTS/DD audio track on the PC is the surround sound send by S/PDIF to the TV and being decoded and sent to the speakers.

But when I am done watching DVDs is the soundcard still in S/PDIF - DD/DTS mode. And when I play MP3 stereo music afterwards, it is not send over the S/PDIF -DD/DTS link. That is why I want my computer to convert the stereo from the MP3 player to a DTS signal.

You can upmix using ffdshow for instance
You should be able to upmix to Dolby Pro Logic II if you have a decent reciever.
//Danne

[QUOTE=Quist;1842036]Hi

I want to connect my laptop to my TV (BeoVision 7-32"), so I can playback MP3 from the laptop via the TV and to the speakers (this is active speakers connected to the TV).
I want to send the music digitally from the PC to the TV, but the digital input of the TV only accepts Dolby Digital and DTS (no PCM). (The TV has a build-in surround decoder).

So do any of you know a filter/plugin for windows that can convert the music (during playback) to DTS or DD?

Thanks,
Karsten[/QUOTE]
Dear Quist
I am possibly in the same situation you were in last year. I have a Mac PowerBook G4 with digital optical sound output that I would like to connect to my Beovision 7-32 so that I can play the music I have in iTunes over the BV 7-32.

Do you know what kind of cable or device I should buy to be able to hook the Mac to the BV 7-32?

Thanks for getting back to me.