Converting WAV to MP3

Sound Forge 6

It’s awesome!!!

My MP3’s never sounded so good. Also it’s very fast.
I don’t know why, but it’s better then anyother converting software I have used. Even without tweaking.

Maybe someone more technical here can tell us why it sounds and works so well?

Is there anyone else that tried Sound Forge 6 and found something better? :confused:

Maybe you were using a bad decoder before.
But AFAIK all good decoders should sound exactly the same.

Sound Forge shouldn’t sound “better” than MAD, Winamp 2.666+, Fraunhoffer 1.9, Feurio and some more…

Read this:
http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org/intro.html

Maybe SF6 is using an effect to “enhance” sound… but I think that’s not something I would like…

Originally posted by minix
[B]
Sound Forge shouldn’t sound “better” than MAD, Winamp 2.666+, Fraunhoffer 1.9, Feurio and some more…

[/B]

What I like about SF6 is you can compress a mp3 and then add Dynamic effects to it.
This is great for putting MP3’s on website’s. The file is smaller and easier to download but still sound great.

Sorry, as usual I read badly… :o

I was still thinking about MP3 decoding threads that we had aorund these days…

Of course, you’re talking about MP3 encoding, not decoding :o

Does SF6 say what is the encoder used?

Before jumping on conclusions about the quality, you must check what encoder Sound Forge 6 uses. Use a utility likeEncSpot

Nothing gets better than Lame encoder :wink:

The best MP3 encoders are Lame 3.90.2 and Lame 3.92. The best command lines are
–alt-preset insane (best quality)
–alt-preset standard (best quality/size ratio, quality oriented)

If you think SoundForge encodes better, please, provide a short sample matching the following conditions :

[ul][li]One of the decoded MP3 at least can be recognized from the original wav in a blind ABX test. That’s why you need to find a hard sample, like the ones linked above, otherwise, no difference can be heard.
[/li]
[li]The one encoded by SoundForge 6 must sound closer to the original than the one encoded by Lame 3.90.2 or 9.92 with --alt-preset standard (for ~192 kbps bitrates) or --alt-preset insane (for 320 kbps bitrate).[/ul]
[/li]
At inferior bitrates, we’re not in the very high quality range.[ul]
[/ul]

EDIT : Flac’s homepage, for decoding the samples : http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Originally posted by ExpertTech
[B]Before jumping on conclusions about the quality, you must check what encoder Sound Forge 6 uses. Use a utility likeEncSpot

Nothing gets better than Lame encoder :wink: [/B]

Quote=(There are only 10 kinds of people in the world - those who know binary and those who don’t.)
I am one that doesn’t.

All I know is that, when I use SF6 it sounds more like the original then other encoder’s.

But then again I haven’t tried ALL encoder’s.
You guy’s sound like the experts.
:bigsmile:
Maybe someone has tested SF6 before.
Thanks for all your reply’s.

lol, you used effects - i fail to see how it could sound more like the original - but thats me :P…and im becoming an open source junkie.

Originally posted by ckin2001
lol, you used effects - i fail to see how it could sound more like the original - but thats me :P…and im becoming an open source junkie.

No No No!!!

I compared, NOT using Effects!
I just like using the effects when using a file on webpages.

You can compress the file and with dynamic effects make it sound good using less space.:wink: