Converting VOB to DIVX

Hi All

I’m currently trying to copy my entire DVD collection to my Computer for my own personal easy access and storage, but am having a few problems when it comes to control over the file sizes that I am archiving.

For example I just started out trying to copy the Blade Trilogy box set, and the file size results was as follows;

Blade 1 = 1.3 GB
Blade 2 = 1.8 GB
Blade 3 = 2.8 GB

I used the exact same process for all 3 films yet ended up with much bigger files than I was hoping which where not consistent with each other, I was hoping to use around 1 GB for each film file.

The process I am using to Rip and Convert the films is as follows;

Software

• DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0 (freeware)
  • Convert VOB to AVI v1.7 (freeware)

Step 1> Use DVD Decrypter to copy the film to my HD as a single VOB file, after selecting only the main film files
Step 2> Use Convert VOB to AVI to convert the VOB file on my HD to a DivX File

At no point with the software I am using do I get the chance to control the file output size.

I was wondering if maybe I am missing an option in the software I am using to control the file output size, or is there another Free Software Product I can use to choose the file size’s I am looking for?

Is it possible to Shrink the DivX files I am creating to a more suitable size?

Are threre any better options or free software Products I can use to get the results I’m looking for, which are High Quality Film files at around 1GB each.

Thanks for you Help

Try something with more control (e.g. AutoGK or FairuseWizard, AviDemux, etc…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-avi-divx-xvid

Thanks for the reply, Have downloaded and am giving AutoGK a try, looks to have the exact features I was looking, will see how it goes.

Ok I just used AutoGK to convert a VOB file of 6GB to a AVI file of 900MB using the XviD codec

Only problem is I have no sound?

I have sound at the very start of the Film when the “20th Century Fox” into is on display, but then as soon as the short intro is over I loose sound for the entire Movie

I figure its more than likely a codec problem, however there are no messages, I just installed the latests version of XviD so the problem is not there and I get good picture quality

I let no error messages when playing the file and have tried it in both Win Media Player and Real Player.

Any ideas on what may be effecting the sound and how to resolve this problem?

[QUOTE=KillerShark1985;2449542]Ok I just used AutoGK to convert a VOB file of 6GB to a AVI file of 900MB using the XviD codec

Only problem is I have no sound?

I have sound at the very start of the Film when the “20th Century Fox” into is on display, but then as soon as the short intro is over I loose sound for the entire Movie

I figure its more than likely a codec problem, however there are no messages, I just installed the latests version of XviD so the problem is not there and I get good picture quality

I let no error messages when playing the file and have tried it in both Win Media Player and Real Player.

Any ideas on what may be effecting the sound and how to resolve this problem?[/QUOTE]

ok I have just check and realised that the VOB file which was created using DVD Decrypter has no sound, so the problem was first apparent after the initial Rip from the DVD, any ideas?

That really shouldn’t happen unless you deselect audio streams. DVDDecrypter is outdated as a decryption/ripping program though, and you may have run into something it can’t handle on its own.

Try ripping the dvd again with DVDFab HD Decrypter. It is the free section within DVDFab and will continue to work as a decryption/ripping program even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires. Found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Ok I have ripped the DVD using DVDFab as suggested and it resolved the sound issue, however I cant seem to find an option to merge all the VOB files into one single VOB file like you can with DVD Decrypt

Is there an option to do this inside this program, or alternatively is there a way to convert all the individual VOB files that make up the entire film into a single AVI file?

my goal is to simply be able to record all my DVD’s to my PC as a divX files of around 1 GB each, maybe i’m going at this all the wrong way, so if anyone know a good way to do this only using free software please help

You don’t need just the one vob file to import into AutoGK.

I’m not a DVDFab user, but I believe the full version will allow you to manipulate the rips in various ways.

You could always use VobMerge to combine the .vob files or use Vob2Mpg to make a single mpeg2 file if you insist on combining them before importing to AutoGK.

There are other tools for this conversion also, like AviDemux, which can import all the .vob files, merge them, then convert.