Converting VHS to DVD

vbimport

Hi I am totally new at this and this is my first post so bare with me. I am trying to convert some old family vhs tapes to dvd. I bought a tv tuner card (TV TUNER KWRLD CAPTR TV878RF PRO RT). If it is not a good one I am stuck since I already bought it, so any help with it or tips would be appreciated. It comes with PVR PLUS and that is what I am using to capture the video. I have installed it and can actually start to capture video. My question is in order to capture the video do I have to capture it in AVI format or is there something else I should be doing? (it is the only setting at which my video and audio are visible and can be heard). How much memory space do I need to capture an hour long video. What should I set the bit rate to? capture size? and capture quality? and frame rate? I know these are a lot of questions but this is my first time and I am trying to get as much info as possible. Also, I am assuming that once I save the film on my hd then I convert it from AVI to MPEG (but which one 1, 2 …) any info is appreciated.

AVI is the format to capture in for quality. You will need about 12GB per hour of capture, and additional space for processing.
Convert to MPEG2 for DVD’s, and then use an authoring program to create the DVD files.
Read the tutorials located here on AVI to DVD (or SVCD, it’s the same process).

There’s a dozen or more ways to do the work, it’s mostly a matter of person needs and taste. For limited amounts of work it doesn’t make sense to buy a lot of software. The Nero-6 Ultra package has everything you need.

thx for the info, will do. I do have NERO Ultra plus someone recommended Dazzle which I also have, which one is better? I will read the tutorials and will post if I have any more questions.

The “best” video codec to capture AVI to is Huffyuv since it is a lossless codec. Frame rate depends on your source. NTSC is 29.97 fps and PAL is 25 fps. Just capture to AVI with whatever app you like (VirtualVCR is a good app too), then edit the video, then use an MPEG2 encoder to encode to DVD compliant video.