Converting the bit rate on mp3's?

vbimport

Can anyone tell me of a preferably ‘free’ programme i can use to change the bitrate of an mp3 file from 128 to higher?

thanks alot! :slight_smile:

Even more quality loss, shameful thing.

CDex
RazorLame
dbPoweramp

Just to name a few.

Can anyone tell me of a preferably ‘free’ programme i can use to change the bitrate of an mp3 file from 128 to higher?

what would be the point?

deanwell13,

I assume you’d like to convert the mp3 file to a higher bitrate to improve quality. However, an important fact to note is that no conversion can possibly improve the quality of the original.

In your case, the 128 kbps mp3 file has already been compressed and data has already been lost. Converting to 192 kbps (for example) will do nothing because the “extra” data (hence quality) that the 192 kbps file would have is gone; it had been removed when the original file was converted to 128 kbps.

Therefore, there will be absolutely no improvement in quality and doing this conversion will simply yield an mp3 file of the same quality (in the best case) but of larger file size. If you have the original source (like a wave file for instance), then you can use any of the above mentioned programs to convert to an mp3 file with a higher bitrate.

However, you can always convert an mp3 file from a higher to a lower bitrate. This action is not pointless like the reverse because there is still data to be lost.

Anyway, this is probably a longer response than you expected. Good luck.