Converting sata power bck to pata power

hey all

as usawel i have an unuasawel one for you. you no you can buy converters that turn you're old 4pin PATA power into the SATA 16pin, well i want to go the other way. was wondering if anyone's tried this as the SATA power lead has 5 wires 1x yellow 1x orange 1x red and 2x black. PATA is missing the orange lead.

the main question here is, is the voltage on the SATAs red, yellow and black the same as on the PATA in which case its a simple re-wire with a spare orange. or is the voltage different. in with case i need to buy new drives

as always i thank you in advance and hope you can help me in this new project :bigsmile: thanx x

There are adapters to go the other way around, but they are not as common.

For example, this is the traditional adapter for connecting a 4-pin molex to an SATA drive and this is a reverse adapter for connecting an SATA power connector to a legacy IDE drive.

If you can’t get hold of a SATA to Molex adapter in your area, another option wouldbe a molex splitter, which lets you share a single molex connector between two drives. As far as I’m aware of, you can put up to at least 11 amps on a single line (based on the Molex standard) and most hard disks draw up to 2 amps max (during spin-up), so you should have no problem using two splitters on a line from the PSU.

my problem is that it can be runing as much as 4 hdd 2 optics and a removable hdd slot to. and all them SATAs just
seem to be wastin space, am after knowing weather the voltages are the same on the red black and yellow lines then i can cut of a SATA conector and crimp in a PATA, an then dead end the orange. dont wana blow a drive though.

thanx

i think its already overloadin that 1 rail as i have a case fan that runs of it and has 3 speeds it doesent start spining if it is on the lowest speed you need to push it to get it going or turn up the speed. i think this is becouse ther is not enouth power going to it, it is a dam havey system to run of one rail. so re-wire???

thanx :bigsmile: x

Ah, no problem :slight_smile:

Here’s a page I came across showing various connections and the voltages supplied on the for the various cable colours. Going by this page, the orange wire to the SATA power plug supplies 3.3v, which is a voltage not used by traditional hard disks. As far as I’m aware of, very few (if any) SATA hard disks use 3.3v either, especially with a simple molex to SATA power adapter being able to cater for most drives.

pog13, please don’t post your question in more than one thread, its against forum rules. If you ever have a thread that has no action just ask a mod to move it to a more suitable sub-forum. :wink:

sorry eric posted on the other tread because i thought it was this one, my mistake wont happen again lol
thanx sean will look into that site