Converting PAL to NTSC

I want to purchase a set of DVD’s from an old TV show that is out of print here in the US. I found it online, brand new and sealed at a good price in Australia on ebay. The problem is it is a region 0 disc, that will only play on a PAL enabled TV. I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD. My TV is a Hisense, no clue of the model, and my DVD player is a Sony RDR-VX525. With this info (before I purchase the set) I’d like to know if cracking the DVD’s with AnyDVD will make them playable on my TV through my DVD player? Help? Please?

Odd that it is Region 0, that isn’t an official region code, and is usually meant to show that the disks have no region flag set, or they are set to regions 1-6.

The online manual for your player states that it cannot play PAL or SECAM dvds.

If you want to buy the dvds and convert to NTSC that is possible. The easiest methods are to use all in one commercial programs like ConvertXtoDVD or Nero, but there are a few free programs that can probably do this conversion also, like FAVC or AVStoDVD.

There is also a way to edit the IFOs with a simple patch that could make your DVD player think those PAL DVDs are NTSC… using IFOEdit to simply change the PAL commands to NTSC in the IFO files.
You’d just be working with the ripped files so no damage to the original DVDs, and works 99% of the time and doesn’t need re-encode the video…
thus worth a try first.

If the simple IFO patch doesn’t work, which it rarely doesn’t… then you could reencode the video to NTSC using one of the programs Kerry mentions…

AVStoDVD & FAVC would take a long time but, since they’d use encoders,
and it’d output basically lossless video quality after re-encoding. ConvertXtoDVD is much, much faster, with a slight quality loss, but very minimal if you keep copy it to DualLayer back-ups…
… as for Nero Vision Express…it really deteriorates the videos’ quality, so doubt you’d like it’s result…

I’d say the patch method is more hit or miss than MBK believes, but it certainly won’t hurt to try. http://forum.videohelp.com/topic221928.html

By the way MBK, I get in trouble if I don’t mention Nero Vision anymore. :slight_smile: Many people already have Nero, and are familiar with it, so might as well let them know it can do this conversion. It would be my very last choice also.

ok, patch sounds like the way to start, but can you give me a little more then that?? Like step by step patching for moron’s ??:bow:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2298120]I’d say the patch method is more hit or miss than MBK believes, but it certainly won’t hurt to try. http://forum.videohelp.com/topic221928.html

By the way MBK, I get in trouble if I don’t mention Nero Vision anymore. :slight_smile: Many people already have Nero, and are familiar with it, so might as well let them know it can do this conversion. It would be my very last choice also.[/QUOTE]

I’m speaking of my personal experiences with Nero VisionExpress, and yeah it’s up to the OP if they already have Nero and would likr to try it…:wink:

As for the IFOEdit patch… I’ve heard that it didn’t work for some, but since it would take all of a minute, and IFOEdit is free, thought it’d atleast be worth a try.
here’s another guide that has more of a step by step w/images…
http://forum.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/showthread.php?t=25689

Thanks for the help and ideas. Fortunately my problem solved itself. When I googled the DVD series to show someone how much a used set runs the first thing that popped up was a press release that the DVD’s are going to be re-released on DVD via another distributor in late August. I was able to pre-order on Amazon for ony $14 for the complete 1st season…good times!
I wish all my problems were this easy to solve!