Converting pal avi to ntsc dvd.....help needed

vbimport

is there anyway i can do this…?
my tv doesn’t support pal and when i make pal dvd it kinda looks really funny when playing in my dvd player on tv…plz help…

and also i have a subtitles question:
is there any way i can add subtitles to a dvd that can be turned off (not the permanent ones that are physically attached to dvd) i tried using dvd2svcd and i can’t seem to work this thing out…

any help is appreciated

Sure, use TMPGEnc or any video encoder program to re-encode to NTSC MPEG-2 and then use TMPGEnc DVD Authoring software to author it into a VIDEO_TS directory suitable for burning to DVD.

As to subtitles, I am not familiar with the methods, but there are definitely ways of doing it.

oh thanx a bunch
i guess im gonna have to make a separate post about subtitles

You can somehow make subtitles for DVD that you can toggle, but it sounded like you were actually burning an SVCD from the AVI… ?

no actually i was making dvd from avi using dvd2svcd and i added subtitles but it just physically attached them

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it actually sounds like your problem is that the subtitles are hardcoded into the avi(i.e. already present on the avi and not as a seperate stream). If this is true, then nothing can be done to toggle the subtitles on the DVD output as the subtitles will be present as hardcoded on the DVD picture.

Even if they are not hardcoded on the avi when converting from one format to another it is always advisable to process the subs seperately as the frame rates change during the system conversion and so does the frame rate of the subs(otherwise they will appear out of sync with the conversation) and check the sub stream for sync probs with Vobsub and then use this stream to author the final DVD. Then you can toggle the sub stream as you want.

Hope this helps.
Unicorn23’.

i have avi without subtitles anda a *.sub file…

i’m actually so new at this i just kinda figured out how to convert avi to dvd and now i can’t work this subtitle thing out…

Hi,

"Even if they are not hardcoded on the avi when converting from one format to another it is always advisable to process the subs seperately as the frame rates change during the system conversion and so does the frame rate of the subs(otherwise they will appear out of sync with the conversation) and check the sub stream for sync probs with Vobsub and then use this stream to author the final DVD. Then you can toggle the sub stream as you want."

What I meant by this is that the Frame rates of NTSC and Pal are different. So when the picture(video) gets processed its frame rate is usually changed but if the sub is in a seperate stream then it too requires processing to change its frame rate in order to keep it in sync with the conversation. For more details please search the forums.

Unicorn23’

i got it…thank you…