Converting old vhs band videos to dvd

vbimport

Hello all you cd freaks out there,
I am new to this site and think it is a fantastic idea to get all those consumer electronic product interestees to air their views (and knowledge) on a website like this.
anyway, i was interested in converting my old video band cassettes to dvd digital, and burning them so i can have them when I´m old and gray (hopefully, not for some time i hope) !?
please don´t make it too complicated or too expensive!!!
cheers, and have a nice one !!

well i aint sure if this is the ‘best’ option but it was a fairly cheap and simple one :wink:

buy one of those cheap 50dollars-ish dvd recorders from best buy and hook in your vcr to it and record.

pretty straight forward :wink:

p.s. i used DVD+RW discs as this way once you record it and everything is cool i then took that disc, put it into my pc, and then copied that disc onto a permanent dvd+r disc.

I assume you have a VCR, in that case above suggested recorder will do.
It will record your own tapes, but for commercial tapes you will need a “video stabilizer” to get rid of protection.
The box has to be placed between VCR and Recorder.

[QUOTE=NBR;2081673]buy one of those cheap 50dollars-ish dvd recorders from best buy and hook in your vcr to it and record.[/quote]Simplest method, but the burning quailty can be awful with these things.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2082041]Simplest method, but the burning quailty can be awful with these things.[/QUOTE]

maybe, but then again ‘VCR’ aint exactly great to begin with :wink:

so in other words i think overall he will be happy with the method i explained above cause for me personally the quality (especially on the 2hrs setting or better when recording) was pretty much the same quality as the VHS tape i copied it from give or take a little.

bottom line = i dont think he will complain with the method i suggested above cause of how simple it is to do and quality will be easily ‘good enough’.

EDIT: i just noticed i said ‘best buy’ , i meant to say wal-mart… cause that’s where i got mine from a while ago

[QUOTE=NBR;2082139]maybe, but then again ‘VCR’ aint exactly great to begin with :wink:

so in other words i think overall he will be happy with the method i explained above cause for me personally the quality (especially on the 2hrs setting or better when recording) was pretty much the same quality as the VHS tape i copied it from give or take a little.[/QUOTE]Er… I was talking burning quality, not video quality…! :disagree:

I.e. discs written in cheap standalone recorders could well be so badly written that they would degrade faster or be hardly readable to start with.

Video quality is an entirely different subject. :slight_smile:

[quote=NBR;2081673]well i aint sure if this is the ‘best’ option but it was a fairly cheap and simple one :wink:

buy one of those cheap 50dollars-ish dvd recorders from best buy and hook in your vcr to it and record.[/quote]
Why not just hook the vcr up to your computer and download the movie to hdd.

[QUOTE=GJ;2082153]Why not just hook the vcr up to your computer and download the movie to hdd.[/QUOTE]Oh? You think that all PCs magically come with a video acquisition (or is it “[I]video capture[/I]” :confused:) card? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2082144]Er… I was talking burning quality, not video quality…! :disagree:

I.e. discs written in cheap standalone recorders could well be so badly written that they would degrade faster or be hardly readable to start with.

Video quality is an entirely different subject. :)[/QUOTE]

ahh my bad :wink: … but which is WHY i was saying to copy them to dvd+rw discs first and then use your pc’s burner and then use a app like ImgBurn and do a disc (DVD+RW) to disc (DVD+R) copy, put it onto something like Verbatim DVD+R discs using your pc’s dvd burner. problem solved :wink: … i would recommend doing it this way anyways in case you mess up during the initial recording from VHS tape to disc etc.

[QUOTE=NBR;2082163]but which is WHY i was saying to copy them to dvd+rw discs […]etc…[/quote]Didn’t notice the PS in your post! Important PS. :iagree: