Converting mpgs/avi's to dvd format

Before I post my question I want it to be known that I read a lot of sticky’s here on this forum and in particular, doom 9 and dvdrhelp forum site. I still cannot figure out how to do this correctly. My issue is I am trying to burn mpg, mpeg, and .avi files onto a dvd-r to be able to play on home dvd player. I suspect some of my avi files are actually divx since they play fine in my divx player software. I am not sure if there is some freeware program that can scan a video file and let you know if its truely an .avi or .mpg file and not just incorrectly named.

As for my particular problem, I have an .avi file that I would like to burn on a dvd-r (since it is around 750 MB in file size) and with working with nero it wont let me burn it on a cd-r. I have tried using TMPGEnc program(latest shareware version) and followed the directions on the dvd-r website faq. I started to encode it before going to bed last night since it told me it could take 2-10 hours to encode. Upon waking, I noticed 3 files were made, a .wav file(all the sounds from the movie), a .m2v file(which does NOT play in my powerdvd software program), and a Default.PLS file(which I dont know what the purpose of this one is for). I tried burning these files with nero in DVD (UDF) format since the .m2v file is 3.02 GB in size. Nothing happened and a coaster was a result. How would I get this .avi file to be readable in dvd home players? Should I change output file format in TMPGenc…I am not sure what .m2v file is for. Needless to say, this .m2v file doesn’t play at all. My Media Player Classic program can play the .m2v file…but I can only hear audio from the movie, no video is present. All other media players do not show any video or audio.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

You have to use the .m2v and the .wav file in conjunction with a DVD authoring program. (This will also allow you to create DVD menus and such if you’d like.)

When you are done, the authoring program will compile a VIDEO_TS directory.

Then you start a DVD-Video compilation in Nero. The default file layout for DVD-Video in Nero will also contain a VIDEO_TS directory. Copy the files inside the VIDEO_TS that your authoring program created to the one in the layout.

Then you will be able to burn an actual DVD.

To get you started with DVD Authoring, you might want to look at this shareware program. I have used it and it works very well for me.

One other thing I forgot is that you will have to convert the sound to MPEG-2 audio.

That means that the .wav will need to be converted to a .m2a file before most authoring programs will accept it.

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
[B]One other thing I forgot is that you will have to convert the sound to MPEG-2 audio.

That means that the .wav will need to be converted to a .m2a file before most authoring programs will accept it. [/B]

Thanks for the info in the right direction.
What software would be able to convert the .wav file I recieved into a MPEG-2 audio file?

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
[B]You have to use the .m2v and the .wav file in conjunction with a DVD authoring program. (This will also allow you to create DVD menus and such if you’d like.)

When you are done, the authoring program will compile a VIDEO_TS directory.

Then you start a DVD-Video compilation in Nero. The default file layout for DVD-Video in Nero will also contain a VIDEO_TS directory. Copy the files inside the VIDEO_TS that your authoring program created to the one in the layout.

Then you will be able to burn an actual DVD.

To get you started with DVD Authoring, you might want to look at this shareware program. I have used it and it works very well for me. [/B]

I did what you said. I dragged all the files in nero and burned it. When I use PowerDVD to view the dvd the screen is completely black(can’t see any video) but I can hear sounds just fine.
I did notice that in TMPGEnc DVD Author when I am in Chapter Cut edit I cannot preview any of the sections(frames)…they are all black but have sound to them. I went here http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=dvdauthor&name=tmpegencdvdauthor to help out with authoring process but still to no avail. Any more ideas? I think perhaps the m2v movie file was not properly encoded or the .avi file is a misnomer, it’s really a divx file. Any more help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Xenos
Thanks for the info in the right direction.
What software would be able to convert the .wav file I recieved into a MPEG-2 audio file?

Well I use Vegas Video 4.0 which automatically encodes your audio to .m2a.

Originally posted by Xenos
[B]I did what you said. I dragged all the files in nero and burned it. When I use PowerDVD to view the dvd the screen is completely black(can’t see any video) but I can hear sounds just fine.
I did notice that in TMPGEnc DVD Author when I am in Chapter Cut edit I cannot preview any of the sections(frames)…they are all black but have sound to them. I went here http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=dvdauthor&name=tmpegencdvdauthor to help out with authoring process but still to no avail. Any more ideas? I think perhaps the m2v movie file was not properly encoded or the .avi file is a misnomer, it’s really a divx file. Any more help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Any ideas? [/B]

Firstly, here is a tip that will help you avoid wasting any more media: The VIDEO_TS directory that is outputted by TMPGEnc DVD Author can be opened in a DVD Player program on your computer (PowerDVD) to you can test the output. This way you can test the output, menus, etc. to see if they work before you burn it on a DVD and realise you messed up.

As to the problems:

If you can’t preview in TMPGEnc DVD, then you won’t get any better results on the final burn either. I suggest you go into the source setup, click Add DVD Video, and ensure that you have properly selected your .m2v file. I doubt that it’s a DiVX file though, but the possibility that it is improperly encoded is real. If you can’t view it in VLC or any DVD-related program, then encoding might be the issue.

I hope this helps you.

Still no luck. I right clicked on the original movie file and went to properties in hopes of finding out some more info. It read:

Width 640 pixels
Height 288 pixels

Audio
Duration: 1:33:47
Bit Rate: 96 kbps
Audio Format: MPEG Layer-3

Video
Frame Rate: 29 frames/sec
Data Rate 125 kbps
Video sample size: 24 bit
Video Compresson: Divx codec

I am assuming by this info(since I am a neophyte at this stuff) that the movie is a divx type.

The options I picked for TMPGEnc are as follows:

1. I selected the “DVD” and picked NTSC as the format. Should I have picked something else??

2. I selected the source file for the movie. Both the video and audio file were the same thing. “Video type” was set at non-interlace. Should I have set it to interlace?

3. The content of video was set at “Film” movie. I had two options to pick, film movie or video movie. Reading the help file near it said "The source consists only from film movie(substantially 24fps).
    This mode can be used for 29.97fps interlaced file movie.

Select this option if you are trying to encode film / anime movies."

The other option for content of video was “Video movie”. The help file read " The source consists only from video movie(29.97fps progressive/interlaced)

Select this option if you are trying to encode movies captured from digital camera."

So I picked “Film” movie option since the movie wasn’t captured from a digital camera. I wondered if it would mess it up since the original movie is 29 frames/sec and the film movie option would change it to 24 frames/sec.

1. For the filter settings I selected nothing since I read that these could slow down the encoding process.

2. Next came the bitrate settings. I left the video resolution on 720x480 pixel since that how it was displayed by default. The audio bitrate read 384 kbit/sec and the estimated file size was 4199.52 MB. The box below read DVD-R 4.7 GB (UDF). I made the file size 99.00 % of disc capicity since the help files said this was better to do.

3. The output file had the destination and name of the movie with a .mpg extension. I found this odd since my prior attempt at this process gave me a movie file with a .m2v file extension and a .wav file. I continued on and I noticed the “output video and audio as individual elementary streams box” was not checked. I left this option unchecked figuring the default settings should be fine. Lastly, the “start encoding immediately” box was checked. I hit ok to start the process. After it was complete, I tried opening up one of the .vob files with Power DVD. A black screen is all that I saw, but I could hear the audio just fine.

In retrospect to the situation, did I perform a process incorrectly? When I load the file up in TMPGenc authoring program I can never view the movie, only see black screen but I can hear the sounds just fine. I don’t think the original movie is corrupt since the original movie in its native .avi file extension plays fine in DIVX.

NOTE: Did some more research online and found a program called Gspot v2.2(had to convince my g/f it wasn’t questionable software :wink: Here’s the relevent info…hope it helps.

Codec:
4CC: div3
Compatible Codecs: Divx decoder filter
Name: Divx 3-Low -Motion
Bitrate: 921 kb/s
FPS: 29.97
QF: 0.167 bits/pixel

Audio
Codec:MPEG Layer-3 Decoder

Any more ideas? Thanks for the help so far.

Think I fixed it :slight_smile: After updating my DIVX codec I am now able to view my movie. It’s wierd how I could view the file in divx with the old codec but not in authoring process.