Converting mpeg1 (vcd) from anamorphic to 4:3

Hi,
I’m sure that this question has been asked at some time but I can’t find it anywhere.
The problem is that I recorded a TV show from a freeview box for my daughter, forgetting that it was set up to output widescreen (which she doesn’t have). P. J. Harvey is skinny enough without my extra help.

I’ve done a lot of searches but haven’t found a way of converting anamorphic to 4:3 for a VCD format file yet.
I tried using the suggestions on the TMPGE help pages but they don’t seem to work.
Anything that works either on XP or Mac OS9 would do (either letterbox or pan&scan would be okay).
Thanks.

Have you tried the “Clip Frame” option in TMPGEnc Plus (Setting > Advanced > double-click ‘Clip frame’)? That should work if you only need to crop the black bars from the top and bottom.

If you only need to resize, the Advanced settings tab also has an option for output size that should solve the problem.

I solved the problem so thought I’d post the solution in case anyone else needs help.
I used Windows Movie Maker. Imported the MPEG1 file (which got split into a series of clips), and copied the resulting clips straight to the storyboard. I then saved the movie using the advanced option (Tools>Options>Advanced) setting the aspect ratio for the saved file as 16:9. The result was that the squashed anamorphic 4:3 movie was stretched by the software to the correct proportions in letterbox format.
Easy when you know how!

I have not tried the Movie Maker option, but I used to convert a lot of Freeview stuff to VCD for my kids, using TMPGenc alone. You have to set the Source Aspect Ratio on the Advanced tab to 16:9 Display, and the Video Arrange Method to Full Screen (Keep Aspect Ratio). This will produce a VCD file with the picture in proportion, but with black bands at the top and bottom.

With the cost of blank DVD-R so low, I no longer bother with VCD, and use the DigiTV freeview card, which dumps the MPEG2 program stream straight to disk. Run it through VideoReDo to trim commercials and correct the TimeStamps, and the file is ready to burn with your favourite DVD authoring program, with or without menus as you prefer. The DVD player itself then displays the picture according to its setup for your TV.