Converting MP4 to dv or avi for iMovie without losing quality

I have downloaded several MP4 files ranging from 1min in length to 15min in length. I need to import them into iMovie so I can create a DVD with all of the files for a seminar I am putting together. I have re-encoded the files from MP4 to avi using two different converters: Quicktime PRO by exporting and Any Video Converter INTEL.
Any Video converted the file fine, but won’t import into iMovie. Quicktime works but quality loss is terrible. The finished product will be on very large screens and quality loss will be very noticeable.

I do not particularly want to purchase anything but if I need to and as long as it isn’t too pricey i’ll consider it.
Thank you for any help! Time is of the essence! :confused:

I’m not sure which version of iMovie you are using but can’t you import the mp4 files directly? If you really need to convert try Avidemux, http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/, you can also use it to do some basic editing.

Whappo,
Thanks for replying. I have iMovie 08. Yes it is supposed to be able to import Mp4 files straight into iMovie, however, it isn’t doing it on mine… the file shows up as blank after import… I am downloading avidemux to try it.

[QUOTE=Keeahskreations;2502570]Whappo,
Thanks for replying. I have iMovie 08. Yes it is supposed to be able to import Mp4 files straight into iMovie, however, it isn’t doing it on mine… the file shows up as blank after import… I am downloading avidemux to try it.[/QUOTE]

O.K. MP4 is just a container and apparently the files you’ve downloaded were created with a video codec iMovie doens’t support. Usually they are h.264 which is pretty common. If Avidemux doesn’t help maybe you can just run them through Handbrake and set the output to MP4 h.264 video and aac audio. Just a thought.

Is there a reason that you must use iMovie?

What are you using as your source to play on the big screens?

Assuming that you are using a laptop.

Why don’t you install VLC player for the Mac OS, Burn the mp4 files to a Dvd as data. Use VLC player to play the mp4 files for ya. No conversion necessary. You could also use a USB stick.

Assuming a Dvd player.

Does the Dvd player support dvix and avi files or is it a standard dvd player?

Another software program to consider

Link: http://www.ffmpegx.com/index.html

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2502656]Is there a reason that you must use iMovie?

What are you using as your source to play on the big screens?

Assuming that you are using a laptop.

Why don’t you install VLC player for the Mac OS, Burn the mp4 files to a Dvd as data. Use VLC player to play the mp4 files for ya. No conversion necessary. You could also use a USB stick.

Assuming a Dvd player.

Does the Dvd player support dvix and avi files or is it a standard dvd player?

Another software program to consider

Link: http://www.ffmpegx.com/index.html

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

I need to meet with the tech guy who will be running our videos to see what he has and how it will work. I am assuming that either DVD player or computer doesn’t matter as I will be running iDVD to create the DVD which will play on either. I could just drop each file into iDVD however I needed to create space between each video or slides between each video. I cannot do this just by dropping into iDVD. plus I didn’t want the audience to see the main iDVD page where you select what video to watch. After talking with the tech guy I may be able to maneuver around that. iMovie just doesn’t seem to be working right… is there a way to reinstall or run a test to see if its running correctly? Basically like a PC does where in the control section you can “repair” the program…

Anytime you use ‘i’-anything you are taking your chances that you will lose control of the process. I’m not too up on mac software, but here’s a list of some of what’s available.

[QUOTE]Converting MP4 to dv or avi for iMovie without losing quality
[/QUOTE]

No way, any conversion will reduce the quality.