Converting mp4 files with DVDFlick

vbimport

Why is it that when I add 3 mp4 video files that are only around 200mb’s each they add up to almost 4.3 gigs? It seems l like I should be able to add a whole bunch of 200mb video files before hitting 4.3gigs. What don’t I understand and how can I fit more video files onto a dvd authoring project in DVDflick?

Thanks,
Louie

^Louie71

DVDFlick is designed to produce dvd-video, which uses the mpeg2 video codec. Mpeg2 is not nearly as efficient in compression as the codecs used in most modern mp4 files. They usually have H264 video these days.

This is why you see larger sized files as output in DVDFlick. Have you tried inputting more than 3 files into DVDFlick? It should try to apply enough compression to hit your 4.3 gb target size with more files, but the quality will suffer. What is the running time on the videos? You really shouldn’t try to put more than 2-2 1/2 hrs of video into a single layer, 4.3gb target when making dvd-video.

By the way, your question can stand alone in the Video Editing forum, and I can move it there if you wish. It would be a more appropriate spot than this guide.

Thank you for the reply. I am at 98% capacity with just the three small files. So it’s because mpeg2 is what is needed to play DVD’s that they end up so big? If my dvd player will play other formats then I could stick with whatever codec produce those files? I want to author my video files but was assuming my file sizes would transfer over as the same size onto my DVD’s to be played on my TV. What freeware is out there that will let me re-author and output my DVD in the original file format?

Many thanks…thank god for forums…how did people get there questions answered 20 years ago?

Please feel free to move my post to a more appropriate area of the forum.

Louie

The format you need for your dvd player depends entirely on its capabilities. Many dvd players have divx compatibility these days, which means you could use xvid or divx video codecs—usually in an avi container file. Going from H264 to divx or xvid would mean an increase in size of about 40% to maintain maximum quality. You will lose some quality in any conversion however.

A few new players will have support for H264 in mp4 or mkv files. As long as they are not high definition files, these rather rare players could be used. For those, you just burn the mp4 files as data onto a blank dvd.

So, you need to find out exactly what you have in your video files, and you need to learn what types of files your current player can handle. Even minor variations in resolution, frame rate or type of audio can cause problems…so best to know what your player wants and stick to that.

You can examine your current mp4 files with MediaInfo. It is a free program that will tell you exactly what you’ve got in the way of codecs and other specifications. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
Make certain to opt out of installing Open Candy when you install MediaInfo. I find the Tree view within MediaInfo to be the most informative.

If you need to convert mp4 to xvid avi files, you can do this with lots of different programs. WinFF or AviDemux can do this, for example. Both are free to download and use.

I think Kery has covered the size difference but I thought I would add this .
DVD compliant files compared to .mp4 is like .wav compared to .mp3 as far as size goes.
Convert a .mp3 to a .wav & see the size increase.
My newest TV has a USB input from an external harddrive it will play .mp4 & .mkv files.
At least it has played the few I’ve tested in it. I will check to see if any I have use the
H264 codec . If not I can probably create one. The reason I post this is it may be a good solution for you to just leave the .mp4s you have as they are.