Converting MP3s to CDAs, all software the Same

:bow:

I know if you are converting wav files to MP3, software matters, or ripping CDs to wav, software matters but …

Is there any quality difference whatsover between decoding music MP3s between any of the software packages that do it ?

I personally have (and are registered with)
Nero
Feurio
Record Now
Media Jukebox 8.0

I would love to know your feedback and experience.

Jon

Take a look in this thread.

Back online : the old MP3 decoder comparison : http://mp3decoders.mp3-tech.org/

Excellent topic for a thread; Very useful information. :slight_smile:

Based on the reviews of the decoders, I think I’ll use CDex or RazorLame to decode my mp3’s… But once thats accomplished, I’m still not sure what is the best way to restore some of the sound quality lost by the mp3 encoder…

Easy CD Creator 5 has the sound realizer function, but I’m not sure how far to slide the bar towards the + or - to tell the program how much I want to apply the effect…

I like the idea of restoring the depth to the music, and putting the high and low frequencies back in, but I only want to do this to the extent that it will make the decoded mp3 sound more like the original cd. – NOT just add effects to the music.

Can anyone recommend some software that does a good job of this? :confused:

The thread was great , and so was the “old” decoder comparison.

What I have gotten about this is that:

1. I will not use Nero to decode and burn my MP3s. I would, however not hesitate to use it to burn CDA files from WAV files.

2. I was going to use Feurio, until I read the comparison of products. It appears that Feurio won’t decode and burn any better than Media Jukebox.

3. I, unfortunately, am someone who was “duped” by the poor CNET review of Record Now. In my last corespondance with them, Record Now does not read VBR MP3s correctly. Also, it is one of the best coaster makers in town. Support is awful, the forum is terribly weak and limited and they do upgrades terribly infrequently. It does have the easiest front in with their wizard, but it has no way of creating play lists or has any printing capability. I’ve had to go back to Nero countless time after I was a coaster victim. Record Now will stop in the middle and give an error about invalid format with no explaination.

4. It looks like I will use Media Jukebox 8.0. I just received an e-mail about version 9.0s release today. GREAT forum for support and it does mention about their on-the-fly MP3, copy on the fly technique which I didn’t understand until now. With all of the organizational features, I’ll probably use that the decode and burn MP3s.

5. I would stay away from any add-in on Winamp. It is not a product designed to decode and burn and just woudn’t trust it.

Please let me know what you think about my opinions !!

Thank you all. Jon Temple

:smiley:

Originally posted by jolo
2. I was going to use Feurio, until I read the comparison of products. It appears that Feurio won’t decode and burn any better than Media Jukebox.

I’m interested in that information.
Where did you read that?

I’d say that Feurio is a perfect decoder, like Winamp 2.666+, Fraunhoffer 1.9, MAD… and it warns you about corrupted MP3s and the error’s position when you compile them… unlike Nero or Winamp…

Just did a 9 Track compilation CD from MP3s on my LTR-40125S@LTR-48125W VS08 using Nero 5.5.9.17. Track #8 skips on all standalone CD players, except my Meridian, and also on all tested automobile players. This is also true when played back on all software on the PC except the player in Feurio.

Also burnt the exact same compilation using Feurio and it playes fine on all tested players on and off the PC.

Clearly, at least on my system, they are not all the same. IMHO Feurio has a distinct advantage.

For those who use Fuerio. I’m going to burn MP3s to a audio CD.

Could you tell me:

1. How does Fuerio do it ? Is it a standard decode to wav then burn ?

2. Does anyone use the track editor first ? I’m sort of confused about the amlitude settings.

3. Any other things I should know ?

I’m evaluating Fuerio, but I’m still at a loss, after looking at several web sites where they study this, why Fuerio is better than let’s say Media Jukebox, which has a unique way if burning MP3s.
It appears that Fuerio decodes the MP3s into wav files, then burns to a audio CD.

Originally posted by jolo
1. How does Fuerio do it ? Is it a standard decode to wav then burn ?

Just drag and drop the MP3s files you want in a project.
It will ask if you want to decode it to WAV while “dropping” it in the project (there’s also a box to choose if you want to be asked again or not).
I don’t decode it to WAV unless it’s corrupted (another advantage over Nero). If you have a slow CPU, then decode first.
(Green = MP3 / Black = WAV)

Take a look at the message about the pauses between MP3s.
There will always be pauses between them because of the MP3 format.

Once arranged, press “Burn”.
It will ask you again if you want to decode first. You choose.
Probably it will show a message if you are using 80min CDRs (almost always).

You can set a default behaviour for decoding always or never in the CD-Manager and CD-Writer Program Parameters.

1. Does anyone use the track editor first ? I’m sort of confused about the amlitude settings.

It’s easy for manual settings.
You just choose the amplitude you want in the box below the waves. It’s made on the fly. The original file is never touched.

To do it automatically: Extras -> Adjust Amplitude (whole project).
You can see the maximum and average volumes.
But Feurio’s normalization is based on peaks, so probably it’s not as good as Nero’s (if Ahead programmed it correctly).

For info in 0,1% settings and so on, press F1.

1. Any other things I should know ?

I’m evaluating Fuerio, but I’m still at a loss, after looking at several web sites where they study this, why Fuerio is better than let’s say Media Jukebox, which has a unique way if burning MP3s.
It appears that Fuerio decodes the MP3s into wav files, then burns to a audio CD.

No, Feurio decodes to WAV first if you choose it. I usually do it on the fly, because the quality is exactly the same.

To delete the silences between MP3s is easy in Feurio.
First set “No pauses between track marks” in the project’s “Settings”. Then go to Track Editor, zoom to the silence and press “Action” -> “Set end position” to select where you want the song to be finished…
What you hear with Track Manager or Wave Player is what you’re going to hear in the CD.

PS: “Set end position” cuts the final of the track if that track is one MP3 or WAV file. If the songs were ripped in one long WAV, “Set end position” will change the end position, without cutting out anything.
Also there’s nothing faster to divide a long MP3 in several tracks. Just press “Split Tracks (linked)” to divide the song.

:smiley: Your post is a “keeper”, GREAT info, especially about how to get fuerio not to do the wav encode.

I would like to invite you try media jukebox and do the on-the-fly burn yourself. They have a real cool, friendly forum there, where you can chat directly to the developers. What is so cool about the product is that the developers is that all new features come from user input and they even through in thoughts on policies on upgrades and pricing.

I do use different products for differernt reasons, although I think I am dumping RecordNow. Best interface in the business, great way of entering and editing cd-text. Creates more coasters than any other product I have used for no apparent reason, in the middle of a burn. Also, the VCD and SVCD burns come out much better via Nero than RecordNow. Yet, it is rated number 1 by CNET ??

Jon