Converting mp3 to cda

I have a problem concerning the burning of discs for playback in my car. Previously I had a car which had a combined cd player that would handle mp3 files but I have just bought a car which only handles “normal” purchased cds and these are cda files. It will playback cds which I have purchased but when I burn discs using Windows Media Player or Realplayer they don’t work :frowning:

Can anybody help me please? … I am trying to burn from downloaded mp3 files (i.e. from limewire)

Thanks …

Hi hugo2009, does your new player play any burned disks? Can you try other brands of blanks? Do your burned CDs play on any other player? Can you burn at a slower speed? These are just a few of the possible problems. I’ve had my best success with car CD players using a good brand of blanks (I prefer Verbatim) and burning at 16X to 20X. YMMV.

You are first converting your MP3 files to WAV, and then burning WAVs to CD, right?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The small and free Burrrn is what I mostly use for creating regular audio discs from .mp3 files (but Nero will do it also if you have that installed).

Like olyteddy said, 16x-20x burn speed should do fine (I generally stick with 16x though), with good discs.

Car players can be finicky, so the question about whether it’ll play burned discs is a good one :iagree:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2273894]Hi hugo2009, does your new player play any burned disks? Can you try other brands of blanks? Do your burned CDs play on any other player? Can you burn at a slower speed? These are just a few of the possible problems. I’ve had my best success with car CD players using a good brand of blanks (I prefer Verbatim) and burning at 16X to 20X. YMMV.[/QUOTE]
Hi … Thanks for that. No it doesn’t play any burned disks and my burned disks will play on other units like this PC … I am already using verbatim.

The unit on this new car is an old 6 disk staker attatched to a Ford OEM radio/cassette. It came with the car - a 1996 Mondeo 2.5i V6.

I would love to know what you mean by burning at slower speeds? I didn’t think that I could change it with Windows Media Player but I must say that I don’t know much about this sort of thing.

Hi,[QUOTE=hugo2009;2273960]
The unit on this new car is an old 6 disk staker attatched to a Ford OEM radio/cassette. It came with the car - a 1996 Mondeo 2.5i V6.[/quote]Maybe the lens is dirty. Don’t ask me how to clean it without additional damage.

I would love to know what you mean by burning at slower speeds?
Good CD burning software allows you to adjust the burn speed. The “sweet spot” for CD-R seems to be somewhat around 16x. And Liteon DVD writers are not good enough for Audio CD-R that shall be played in picky players.

Michael

Hugo: HOW are you converting your MP3 files to WAV?

[QUOTE=deanimator;2274053]Hugo: HOW are you converting your MP3 files to WAV?[/QUOTE]
I have been using “Switch Sound File Converter” - something which I found in a websearch

[QUOTE=Arachne;2273958]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The small and free Burrrn is what I mostly use for creating regular audio discs from .mp3 files (but Nero will do it also if you have that installed).

Like [B]olyteddy[/B] said, 16x-20x burn speed should do fine (I generally stick with 16x though), with good discs.

Car players can be finicky, so the question about whether it’ll play burned discs is a good one :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Hi … thanks for your posting. I managed to download Burrrn and it looks just what I need - thanks for setting my compass so that I could find it! I can see now how to vary the burn speeds.

As I said in another posting I use Switch File Converter which allows the conversion of a list of mp3 files to wav into a selected directory. Does anyone know the best Format and Atrribute settings for a car player?

Thanks …:rolleyes:

Burrrn should adjust them automagically. You don’t even need to convert your mp3 files since Burrrn will do that job for you also.

What matters now is:

[ul]
[li]What media
[/li][li]What burning drive and
[/li][li]What burn speed
[/li][/ul]
is used.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2274714]Burrrn should adjust them automagically. You don’t even need to convert your mp3 files since Burrrn will do that job for you also.

What matters now is:

[ul]
[li]What media[/li][li]What burning drive and[/li][li]What burn speed[/li][/ul]is used.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi

It’s the Switch Sound File Converter that has different settings for encoding. The default when the program is first openned is:

6000Hz 8bits Mono

The settings range:

Hz … 6000 to 96000
Bits … 8/16/24/32
Mono or Stereo

I am using this for converting mp3 to wav as was suggested :confused:

Perhaps there is a better file converter??

Thanks

You want your WAV to be 16-bit and 44,100 Hz.

But, if you would like to try Burrrn as has been suggested you may find life to be a bit easier :smiley:

You can use CDex,EAC, or dBpowerAMP.
If you want the full featured dBpowerAMP it is shareware after the trial.The free version is supposed to still convert.I have an older version from before it was a shareware which converts just about everything audio.If the free version doesn’t work for the .mp3 to .wav conversion the add the LAME mp3 codec to the dBpowerAMP program files.It should have this file name: lame_enc.dll & it goes in the Compression folder.
I haven’t tried the Switch converter & it may be a good one too.If you are satisfied with it then use it.

[QUOTE=cholla;2275255]You can use CDex,EAC, or dBpowerAMP.
If you want the full featured dBpowerAMP it is shareware after the trial.The free version is supposed to still convert.I have an older version from before it was a shareware which converts just about everything audio.If the free version doesn’t work for the .mp3 to .wav conversion the add the LAME mp3 codec to the dBpowerAMP program files.It should have this file name: lame_enc.dll & it goes in the Compression folder.
I haven’t tried the Switch converter & it may be a good one too.If you are satisfied with it then use it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. My version of Switch Sound Converter has just gone shareware as the trial has expired (I can’t tell the difference!) but there seem to be endless combinations. Hz and bits (attribites) have already been mentioned but does anyone know what format audio files should be in.

I have the choice:

PCM Uncompressed
GSM6 Native
IMA ADPCM
Microsoft ADPCM
CCITT A-Law
CCITT u-Law
GSM 6.10
DSP Group TrueSpeech
MPEG layer 3

Perhaps some time for trial and error this weekend (after I have cut the lawn :)).

… by the way, these are formats for the WAV files when converted. I have already tried burning straight from MP3 but it didn’t work. My methodology also includes keeping a purchased CD in the stacker which continues to work just fine so at least I know that I am not “flogging a dead player” so to speak.

I hope that you are all having a great weekend :iagree:.

Take care … Michael (aka Hugo)

I have already tried burning straight from MP3 but it didn’t work.

Did you try the burrrn suggestion…There’s also BurnAware free, CDBurnerXP…Any of these will burn a standard 16/44.1khz, PCM/wav CD from the mp3s…

I’m with t0nee1 try Burrrn.If it’s not working for you then it’s probably a few settings.
In the general settings:
Try with Raw drive & SPTI checked .
CD-Text unchecked at least for a start if your burner supports text then you can check it .
You need to use an RW disc for testing till you get it working.
Also make sure your burner is in the Writer window.
In the Replay Gain tab uncheck everything.
Again as you get it working you may want to use some of those settings.
If you do it is my understanding you have to check the ReplayGain at the bottom of the main UI window for the ReplayGain settings in Settings to work.
If you still want to use Switch Sound Converter I would start with the PCM Uncompressed.
What ever else you do it is CRITICAL that the .wav files that are actually burned be 44.1 khz.