Converting mds

vbimport

Is it possible to convert an mds file to a bin or iso file? I tried recopying the mds in alcohol and it wouldn’t let me. any help folks?

A MDS file contains no game data. It only contains information on sector density.

An ISO file can contain game data.

These are two completly different formats for completly different things.

so iso is out of the question, but how about a bin file?

I can see where this is going so i’ll make this simply the ONLY thing you can convert an MDS file to is a BWA file.

Your image is in the .MDF file, which comes with your MDS file. You MUST have both if you want to convert into ISO.

Womble is right, you can only convert to BWA with the BWA builder, you cannot extract or get any data on the CD out of it.

I probably should of said I had both mds and mdf files now that I think about it.

Since I’m really thick headed about this stuff, explain this to me like I’m a four year old. I have both MDS and MDF files. Can I convert these to a BIN and CUE file or an ISO file?

My last question. I swear.

I’ll give you another question if you tell me why you want to do this?

Why don’t you want to burn this as they are?

You MUST have both if you want to convert into ISO

So yes.

The file is of a PAL game. I downloaded a PAL to NTSC converter i wish to try on it. My problem is that the converter only converts BIN or ISO Files. Thats why I need to convert the files.

Can you first burn the MDS/MDF files and then rip that back to ISO or BIN/CUE?

Originally posted by RichMan
Can you first burn the MDS/MDF files and then rip that back to ISO or BIN/CUE?

Better still, mount the images onto a virtual drive and read from them.

I tried mounting it to a virtual drive and trying to copy from that with Alcohol and it wouldn’t let me. My only option to create image as was what I started with. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by loco_chocobo
I tried mounting it to a virtual drive and trying to copy from that with Alcohol and it wouldn’t let me. My only option to create image as was what I started with. Any other ideas?

You could do that, but you could try to load the image onto Daemon Tools, and then read it with Alcohol or any other CD image making software.

I loaded up Daemon tools, mounted the image, and tried to copy the image in a different formant but still, it doesn’t want to work. :a
Thanks for the suggestion though. If anyone anywhere has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Make a fresh image of the original cd in iso or bin/cue format.

I believe I have found a solution because I found myself with the same problem. I downloaded a RAR file from the Internet containing an MDS and an MDF file, both of which I had never seen before, and I wanted to get the contents of the image on my XBOX. I loooked up the MDS format and got a program called Alcohol 120%, some weird 500-of-a-kind burning program. Since I don’t have a DVD burner, I had to extract the files somehow. I opened the MDS file and mounted it with the program’s built-in Virtual Device Manager. Then I used a DVD decrypter to decrypt the virtual drive and write it to an ISO file. Then I used xISO (because XBOX ISO’s have their own encryption, if you’re trying to open any other type of disc, just use WinRAR or something comparable) to extract the contents of the ISO to my hard drive. Finally I was able to copy it to my XBOX.

Hope that helps.

I hope those are demo CDs or something, because downloading games from the internet is illegal, and not talked about on this forum.

Thankyou:)

Yeah it was EvolutionX

EDIT: It’s legal software :stuck_out_tongue:

No probs;)

thankyou.

You can use the trial version of Magic-Iso to convert the .mds/.mdf to .iso and it works fine. My Ninja Gaiden converted perfectly.

but alcohol can open, and seems to have ability to burn mdf/mds files ???
i mount mds files in virtual drives easily ???