Converting internal to external

vbimport

hi,
i’m looking to buy a burner, but i have a laptop so i’d need an external one. i’ve been told that buying an internal drive on sale, and sticking it in an external casing would be the cheapest option. i’m not very good with hardware and such, so would there be any issues with performance? would it be hard to install and get everything working smoothly? thanks in advance.

The performance depands the most on the interface you can/want to use. USB1.1 will be slow, although USB2.0 and FireWire will give you good resuls.

If your laptop doesn’t support any of those fast standards, you can perhaps buy a PC card for the laptop with such a interface, so you can hook up your external drive.

If you don’t want to back up copy protected CDs then I’d recommend the Sony FireWire/USB2 DVD burner. Smooth as silk with a good bundle of software. It’s DVD±R/RW. I had one of these for several weeks and didn’t want to give it back. latest model is the DRX500UL

how can i tell if my laptop supports usb 2.0 or firewire? i know i have usb ports in the back, but that’s about all.
if i were to buy a card that supports usb 2 or firewire, how much would that cost?

Originally posted by bigidiot12345
how can i tell if my laptop supports usb 2.0 or firewire? i know i have usb ports in the back, but that’s about all.
if i were to buy a card that supports usb 2 or firewire, how much would that cost?

trust me , you don’t want that , because you are then stuck at your cardbus reading speed , which is hardly the 400mbps that normal firewire can handle.

try the website of the manufacturer to find out wether you have usb 1 or usb 2 , since it differs a LOT in speed.

There are plenty of IDE->USB cases around , also in the 2.0 format , so that you can put in any cdvdrewriter in it that you deside.

one other alternative is to buy a scsi card and buy a scsi drive , both are not cheap !

i’d suggest a usb2 casing with any writer you desire or futureproofs solution. You can also look at the philips JackRabbit DVD , it’s both usb1/2/firewire and can rewrite cd’s and play dvd’s (both also standalone !)