Converting High Definition Video from MiniDV to DVD

vbimport

Does anyone know how to convert footage captured to a MiniDV on a High Definition camera (Sony HDR-HC7) to a High Definition file on a DVD? I basically don’t want to loose the quality when putting it on a DVD.

You just need software that has support for HDTV. There are quite of few out there. You might want to read the review at the top of this thread concerning a Ulead Movie Factory 5 review. There is Ulead Studio 10, and I’m pretty sure that the new versions of Adobe Premiere Elements, and Vegas Movie Studio either have support for HD, or they have a download or patch to handle it. With your HD format, if you encode, instead of a bitrate of 8000-9000, you want 12000 - 15000 for your bitrate.

It also depends on if you just want a simple transfer, or if you want editing, motion menu’s, transitions.

Thanks heaps harley2ride, I am looking to edit and create menu’s as well. I am liking the sound of Adobe Premiere Elements although a review of it did say this:
“You’ll still have to output to standard-definition DVD, though—there’s no HD DVD or Blu-ray support yet.”

So does this mean I could still get HD quality on a standard-def DVD (4.7gb)?

This is from the ADOBE web site for Premiere 3.0. I do believe that the HDV they are talking about is High Definition Video. You can search their support/faq site and see if it supports bitrates between 12000 and 15000.

Easily create home videos and DVDs
Get started quicklyImport from virtually any device
Easily import video, audio, and still images from virtually any media device, including HDV and DVD camcorders, web cameras (WDM analog), MPEG-4 video recorders, and select mobile phones.

Enjoy native HDV support
Capture and edit HDV footage in its native format.

Create DVDs in two steps
Go from camera to DVD, complete with menu and scene index, in two easy steps.

Save work in progress
Easily transfer a project and all its media to another computer, or archive it to edit later.

Gents,

Unless one has a method to make (and read) an HD media (BluRay, HDDVD, etc.) is there much point to creating the file on a PC ? Few folks have a BluRay or HDDVD Burner or ? I guess if you wanted to let it sit on a Hard Drive, and send it to your TV via a composite or HDMI cable that would work too. :slight_smile:

I guess you can burn HDV to a 4.7gb DVD however the amount you can fit may be limited. Alternatively you can span it over a number of DVD’s, but that would involve anoying disc changes when viewing. Give it a year to 18 months and I bet blu-ray (because it’s going to win :stuck_out_tongue: ) will be as cheap as DVD more or less…