Converting from Video Cassette to DVD

vbimport

Hi all :slight_smile:
Have got a bunch of video cassettes … yeah all personal stuff … marriage, kids birthdays, etc., that I wanted to move from the VHS format to DVD.

Now, I know there are guy who would do it for me for a couple of bucks, but:

1. I want to learn to do it myself.
  2. There are portions in it that are crap (shaken pictures, pictures of the floor, etc) that I want to remove!

Now, what I’ve got are:

1. A decent PC (Core2Duo), WinXP Pro, DVD R/W
  2. A DVD Recorder/Player (no, not the PC one, you know the Philips DVDR 615)

Well, what I did was I connected my VCP to the DVDR (philips) and played on the former and recorded on to the latter.

I then got movie on to the DVD :slight_smile: :clap:

Now, my problem starts! How do I remove unwanted portions form the VOB file on the DVD?
I copied the entire DVD on to my PC … and yeah with some VOB splitter cut of the unwanted portions. … but will this work :doh: If I remove it that way, and put back the VOB files into the proper place and then copy all the folders back on to the DVD, will things work correctly … I mean, the titles, chapters … whatever?

On some occassions, I did not copy the entire DVD to hard disk … just the vob files … can I edit them and create a DVD of it?

Can some one point me in the right and maybe best freeware direction to get what I need accomplished?

PS. I have downloaded the software DVDFlick if thats of any use!

Thanks so much in advance … and Cheers!

Shortest route will be to use a good DVD authoring tool, like TMPGEnc-Author. You simply import the entire DVD and edit out what you don’t want, then create a new DVD and burn it. You can also create a new menu if you want, add multiple titles, etc.

Most any authoring tool will have some kind of editing capability, but many will re-encode the video which is slow and causes loss of quality. TMPGEnc-Author will not re-encode DVD-compliant video.

Theres also some software called Mpeg Video Wizard which i’m pretty sure lets you edit vob files. The software is very user friendly and easy to use.
http://www.womble.com/
I’m pretty sure they do a free trial so you can test it out.
Give it a try
Thanks

dvdshrink is perfect for this and its free. Also vobblanker is good (keeps menus) also free.