Converting from pal to ntsc without loosing audio

Lately I’ve been trying to out avi files into cd. I used toast titanium to do this. I get a message saying that this was formatted to PAl and do I want to convert to the industry standard ntsc. I do and it burn no problem. Then I put it in my dvd player and I have no audio. The picture is fine but no audio at all.

Can you guys offer a little help?

The audio in the original file may be mp2, which is usually supported in NTSC players, but not all.

Examine the NTSC version that you got from Toast. I use Gspot or MediaInfo to find the codecs used in videos, but from the sounds of it, you use a Mac. There is a version of MediaInfo for Macs here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26861/mediainfo-mac
Check to see which type of audio you have.

“industry Standard” here isn’t ntsc mate, it’s pal, don’t assume that your country’s standard appliers everywhere.

That being said, did you check you DVD player/TV, I have relatives living in an NTSC area and they never need the video converted. The lack of sound is more likely due to an outdated/missing codec. Check what the audio encoding is set to on the avi and see if you have the proper codecs installed.

[QUOTE=domromer;2259512]Lately I’ve been trying to out avi files into cd. I used toast titanium to do this. I get a message saying that this was formatted to PAl and do I want to convert to the industry standard ntsc. I do and it burn no problem. Then I put it in my dvd player and I have no audio. The picture is fine but no audio at all.

Can you guys offer a little help?[/QUOTE]

From my many years of experience with ROIO of Live shows, I can say with confidance that ther are very few who can do a proper transcode.

The process of converting PAL->NTSC inherantly loses resolution.

I happen to run a site that trades lossless audio and video.

My mods download one of the 1gb files from every video upload and drop it in Gspot, mentioned above. If it was transcoded, gspots output would reveal that then it becomes a need to actually view the video to confirm the transcode.

Because of this, I do not allow any transcoded video (this really only applies to those that are PAL -> NTSC, NTSC->PAL is not a problem)

Gspot is THE best program out there for analysis of Video_TS formats…err…VOB…

There are many other ways to get the same data, but the accuracy of gspot prevails over all other.