Converting/editing a .ts file

vbimport

Hi. I’ve copied a TV show (standard definition, not HD) from my Humax Foxsat to my PC’s hard drive. The file has a .ts extension. I converted it using Xilisoft Video Converter but the sound doesn’t stay in synch. So I found myself reading this thread: http://club.myce.com/f32/editing-hd-ts-files-converting-ts-xvid-mkv-720p-etc-262336/ despite the fact that it seems to be focussed on HD. I installed AutoMKV and the other necessities (Xvid codec etc) but to no avail (after a while the Command Prompt box appeared and wouldn’t even accept an Exit command. Then VirtualDubMod opened but with a Not Responding message). So my question is: what’s the best way these days to convert and then edit a .ts file so that I then copy it to a DVD disc (my DVD player plays files such as avi, divx, mpg)? Thanks for any assistance.

Try checking the file with gSpot or mediainfo. It may already be DVD compliant. If you need to convert, AVIDeMuxis my choice of tools to do this kind of conversion. You could also probably author it as a DVD using AVS2DVD.

Normally, .TS denotes a MPEG2 compliant transport stream, which could be easily demuxed with PVAStrumento (which can also change this file to .mpg). After demuxing, it can be reauthored to a DVD with something like “GUI for DVDauthor” (GfD).

Stuff retrieved from a standalone PVR might be scrambled - creating a DVD from these sources is near to impossible then :frowning:

Michael

It’s still possible even the TS is scrambled. But probably unrelated to this case.
I think the recording were not a proper one, so you first have to eliminate the corrupted sequences from the stream after demuxing…
There are many sat-related forums available that are frequented by many sat-experts. :wink:

Have you played the video before you converted? VLC can play ts files, MediaPlayer with the right codecs can also.

It’s not a case of playing a .ts file, I can easily do that with any of my PC’s media players. I want to edit it down and my favourite splitter (Boilsoft) won’t load a ts file. All my converting efforts to date have resulted in files with either no video (just sound) or sound and video out of synch. I’m still experimenting…

[QUOTE=pooksahib;2560102]It’s not a case of playing a .ts file, I can easily do that with any of my PC’s media players. I want to edit it down and my favourite splitter (Boilsoft) won’t load a ts file. [/quote]Then use PVAStrumento to demux.

Michael

Or, if you’re just trimming it, AVIDeMux as I suggested.

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, the solution (for me) is entirely different: VideoReDo TVSuite. Absolutely superb program - you can edit down to a single frame, choose whether your selection is to be saved or deleted, variety of output formats, perfect A/V synchronisation. Just a brilliant program.

[QUOTE=pooksahib;2560238]Thanks for all the suggestions. However, the solution (for me) is entirely different: VideoReDo TVSuite. Absolutely superb program - you can edit down to a single frame, choose whether your selection is to be saved or deleted, variety of output formats, perfect A/V synchronisation. Just a brilliant program.[/QUOTE]
I don’t have VideoReDo TVSuite but I’ve seen Kerry56 recommend it several times.

It’s still a commercial tool.

Just on the off chance… Could a video editor support opening a .ts file where you could resave it as a different format?

I recently learned that my editing software, Ulead VideoStudio 9, can import .vob files from a DVD folder, even from the disc itself (But I prefer to copy to my computer then import :slight_smile: ) Although that strictly speaking is not relevant, it just might be possible :slight_smile:

I did that for an old DVD I wanted to edit. Just imported straight from the .vob files and, after some editing, exported it as an AVI :slight_smile:

^AviDemux can do this Chad_Bronson. If you use it for cutting mpeg2/dvd-video, you should check for sync issues however. It will convert formats quickly and easily.

I prefer VideoReDo for mpeg2 editing, though ironically, I had an mpeg2 file that was so out of sync, it was out of the adjustment range in VideoReDo and had to use AviDemux on that one. :slight_smile:

No worries then, just thought I would add my 2p :wink: