Converting DVD to Ipod with DVD Fab "not in correct format"

vbimport

evaluating DVDfab Platnum.

this is a hit and miss problem.

just downloaded DVDfab Platinum and tried to convert DVD to iPod.
i just used the default settings. nothing fancy.

all i wanted to do is convert the main title (the title that contains the movie, less the previews and menus)

during the conversion, it seems to work fine. at the end of the conversion, i do end up with a MP4 file that will play on my PC. i can even add the file to iTunes with out a problem, and play it there.

the problem occurs when i try to copy the new converted file to my iPod classic.

on occation, it errors out saying the the iPod will not support the file format.

as i said, this is a hit or miss thing. i have no way of knowing prior to sync if this will work or not. our of 10 movies that i converted over the weekend, 6 work just fine on my ipod, the rest are still on the PC because itunes refuses to believe they are in the correct format.

any help would be appreciated.

the program does work for everything else, its just this one problem that keeps poping up. if i can get this resolved, i will buy the product, i just need it to work properly first

There are several iPod conversion profiles in DVDFab, which one are you using?

the program is on my home system. i know i am just using the default, which if memory serves is MP4 and ACC. thought about trying the TV out profile, but it looks like the quality drops, so i just ran with the default.
i will double check tonight and try to post it.

There are 2 H.264 and one called “mpeg-4”. Try the “5.5G” one (H.264+AAC) if you haven’t. Not sure which is the default profile, but I think it’s the “mpeg-4” one. When you find one that works, you can set it as the default with the button of the same name on the Conversion Settings page.

ok i will try that tonight and let you know.

also. any thoughts on slow conversion rates? takes about 1 hr+ depending on the movie.

just loaded the program to my laptop, and found an old ISO file to convert, just for the sake of getting the right info to you.

default is ipod.mpeg4
i will try to ipod.h264-5.5g tonight. hopefully is will A) work and B) run faster than the standard mpeg for. currently takes 1-1.5 hrs per disc.

You can also fix the messed up ones in itunes by right clicking on the movie and selecting “Convert Selection for ipod/iphone”. I think all movies will show that option and you only need to use it on the ones that wont play though.
But in dvdfab the ipod 5.5G is the one I use and seems to work good, I use around 640 x whatever resolution and around 640 kbps. Not sure if this is optimal but worked on the couple I tried so far.

[quote=dlshow101;2116838]just loaded the program to my laptop, and found an old ISO file to convert, just for the sake of getting the right info to you.

default is ipod.mpeg4
i will try to ipod.h264-5.5g tonight. hopefully is will A) work and B) run faster than the standard mpeg for. currently takes 1-1.5 hrs per disc.[/quote]Let us know how it works. That conversion speed is a little slow, you may need to experiment with the memory allocation controls in Common Settings->DVD to Mobile->Generic. Watch the frame conversion rate as it works, it should ramp up to 40-60fps which will convert a movie in about half the playing time (at 60 fps). I don’t think you will find the 5.5G profile any faster. Using the iPod native screen resolution will help. The 640-size screen has more pixels to encode which will take longer and make the output files larger.

well. it did work, the problem is, it doubled the conversion time and no amount of memory tweaks would make it faster. the solution was to change to cucusoft. i found this program to be twice as fast and dosnt lose the quality. i love DVD fab, but for this application, cucusoft is a much better product.

dvdfab was only getting about 40fps, cucusoft hit the low hundreds in the same format.

i appreciate the help, but the real fix here is changing the program.

I also get the same iTunes symptom, i.e., iTunes will accept the .mp4 vid into it’s library, play it, but won’t load it onto the iPod stating format not compatible.

I’m running DVD Fab Platinum 5.0.8.5 and using iPode.mpg4 as default. I’ve done about 25 movies successfully to date with .mpg4 and not seen this issue until about Aug 2008. Its now happened on two of the last four movies. I tried the other two ipod.h264 and ipod.h264-5.5g formats without success. With my default on one of the failing movies Encoding is about 23 fps.

I attempted the conversion to iPod within iTunes but it was taking like days to perform so I canceled it before completion

Many times when it says the format is not compatible it is because the resolution is too high. With version 4, it never selected anything bigger that 640x480 so it was never a problem. But in version 5, the default resolution will sometimes be 720x 540 which is too large for an ipod( but will play in itunes). I use the Mpeg 4 because it seems to be the fastest for me( about 50-60fps) but if I use v 5, I always have to check and make sure the resolution isn’t too high. Most the time I just use my version 4 as I never have any trouble with that one.

Good people, thanks for the assistance through valuable insight. I was having the very same problem loading the video to my iPod after conversion with v.5. In the end, I was able to load the v.5 conversion using RealPlayer Plus, which did what iTunes could not with the v.5 conversion. I was worried for awhile. Now I know to alter the resolution (or I can continue to load with RP Plus). Thanks again.