Converting DVD+RW to Playable Content?

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba D-R400. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello!

I have just purchased the Toshiba D-R400 DVD Recorder!
I also have in my possession a stack of DVD+RWs.

Additionally, I have a computer running Windows XP and CentOS 5 linux and an external DVD drive that can read and re-write DVDs.

Here is what I plan to do:

I am going to hook up my DVD recorder to my xbox 360, and record my xbox 360 gameplay. Additionally I am going to convert my families old VHS tapes to a digital form by hooking up my VHS player to the DVD recorder.

I have a few questions:

1. Will I need to finalize my DVD+RWs? (I plan to bring them to my computer to convert to a file format that can be put on Youtube. I will not be using them to play in a DVD player.)
  2. What will the file format be on the DVD when I bring it to my computer?
  3. What program(s) can I use to extract the DVD content and convert it?
  4. Is there any pre-cautions or information that I should know that would be helpful to me?

Thanks!!!

EDIT
It would be helpful if the converted DVD content would also be able to be imported into iMovie or Windows Movie Player as well, but it is not required. I also want to keep as much quality as possible with the conversion. Thanks!!!

I would try something simple first, before the XBox and Vhs drive. My Phillips DVD recorder records in a proprietary format than can only be played on that recorder not my computer. I have an ATI All in Wonder card that will allow me to stream things into my computer then put them in DVD format.

Read the last review of the Toshiba DR420 it has a proprietary format http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16882116134

I didn’t order the 420, it is the 400, isn’t it different?

EDIT

http://www.epinions.com/review/Toshiba_D_R400/content_435107827332

Zac, I think your are going to find they are the same concerning proprietary format. That is why I am saying try it before you complicate things any further. Record a TV show and try playing on your computer.

Good Luck, Mick:)