Converting dvd-r to dvd+r

vbimport

Hi everyone,
I´m a newbie so I´m not sure how to go about this.
This is the scenario. A mate of mine burned me Spooks on DVD-R. My Kenwood dvf 8100 wants nothing to do with them, “disc error”. How do I convert the -R to +R so that I can watch them on my DVD player.
I can watch them on the PC, no probs., but it´s not the same is it?
Be grateful for any advice.

Greets,
Anthony

As a general rule, -R disks are no less compatible than +R. In fact, many older machines prefer -R unless the +R disks have been bitset to look like a DVDRom.

What type of dvd burner do you have in your computer? It may or may not have the ability to bitset +R disks and have them appear to be commercially made DVDRom disks.

One way to copy them is to make an ISO file of the entire disk, then burn the ISO file to a new one. You can use a free burning program called ImgBurn for this. www.imgburn.com When you start the program, click on [I]Create image file from disc[/I] to start the process of making the ISO file. Once it is on the hard drive, restart ImgBurn and click on [I]Write image file to disc[/I], select the newly made ISO and burn at a moderate speed to your new disk. I suggest 8x or 12x speed when using 16x blank media.

If your burner can bitset, ImgBurn can manage this also. Look under Tools–>Drive–>Change Book Type (another term for bitsetting). Find the make of your drive and click on the tab for it. Under Change For: select DVD +R media. Under New Setting: select DVD-Rom Now click on OK.

Use good quality blank disks. We normally recommend Verbatim, but they are in the process of changing their suppliers. If you can find the older style Verbatim with AZO on the packaging, these would be the best to purchase. Sony disks are a reasonably good substitute if you cannot find the Verbatim with AZO dye.

Being -R DVD’s have they been finalized or closed ?
What files & folders does Windows Explorer show are of these discs?
A standard DVD compliant format is:
AUDIO_TS (empty) , VIDEO_TS with .ifo , .bup , .vob files .
Was it burned on a PC or a standalone ?
As Kerry56 posted if your PC’s drive will accept bitsetting it is a good idea to do it.
Same for doing the rip & burn with ImgBurn since there is no encryption to worry about.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2535727]As a general rule, -R disks are no less compatible than +R. In fact, many older machines prefer -R unless the +R disks have been bitset to look like a DVDRom.

What type of dvd burner do you have in your computer? It may or may not have the ability to bitset +R disks and have them appear to be commercially made DVDRom disks.

One way to copy them is to make an ISO file of the entire disk, then burn the ISO file to a new one. You can use a free burning program called ImgBurn for this. www.imgburn.com When you start the program, click on [I]Create image file from disc[/I] to start the process of making the ISO file. Once it is on the hard drive, restart ImgBurn and click on [I]Write image file to disc[/I], select the newly made ISO and burn at a moderate speed to your new disk. I suggest 8x or 12x speed when using 16x blank media.

If your burner can bitset, ImgBurn can manage this also. Look under Tools–>Drive–>Change Book Type (another term for bitsetting). Find the make of your drive and click on the tab for it. Under Change For: select DVD +R media. Under New Setting: select DVD-Rom Now click on OK.

Use good quality blank disks. We normally recommend Verbatim, but they are in the process of changing their suppliers. If you can find the older style Verbatim with AZO on the packaging, these would be the best to purchase. Sony disks are a reasonably good substitute if you cannot find the Verbatim with AZO dye.[/QUOTE]

Hey Kerry56!
First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Secondly I have a Ricoh MP5240A DVD+RW/+R, and last but not least, I´ll give your suggestion a go and let you know how it turns out, OK?

Thanks again,
Anthony

[QUOTE=cholla;2535748]Being -R DVD’s have they been finalized or closed ?
What files & folders does Windows Explorer show are of these discs?
A standard DVD compliant format is:
AUDIO_TS (empty) , VIDEO_TS with .ifo , .bup , .vob files .
Was it burned on a PC or a standalone ?
As Kerry56 posted if your PC’s drive will accept bitsetting it is a good idea to do it.
Same for doing the rip & burn with ImgBurn since there is no encryption to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to you too cholla. I´m going to try the imageburn thing and see how it goes.
Thanks, Anthony

Be aware that a DVD-R can hold a few more MB than a DVD+R, so it may be possible that you cannot just copy the content over if the DVD-R were full.

[QUOTE=chef;2535800]Be aware that a DVD-R can hold a few more MB than a DVD+R, so it may be possible that you cannot just copy the content over if the DVD-R were full.[/QUOTE]

OK chef thanks for the advice. Be assured I will keep it in mind if run into any problems while trying to convert ( the infidels;-)) huge joke, NOT).
Thanks, Anthony

Dann viel Erfolg dabei.

Good Luck!

Hi Kerry,
sorry it´s taken so long to send you some feedback, but with being in hospital and other stuff, I didn´t get round to trying out imgburn till yesterday. I don´t know how my mate burned these Spooks DVD-ROMs, but the burn process didn´t work. Maybe it´s the +RWs I´m using (Platinum 4x), maybe I just got a couple of bum discs, who knows? IB only read 87% of the -ROM, I tried 4 times, same result every time. I´m either going to get myself a player that supports -ROM, or copy single episodes on to CD-RW, which the Kenwood does accept.

Thanks anyway, cheers
Anthony

+RW are re-writable discs and not every player supports them. I would try +R or -R (not RW) discs if I am understanding you correctly.

As tubebar stated regarding RW’s “not every player supports them”…That said, first thing start off using reliable media(e.g Verbatims, and if drive/burner supports it, one can change the booktype(bitsetting) of your media from DVD+R and RW’s to DVD-ROM…This fools players into thinking you’ve actually put in a DVD-ROM instead…However, again not all drives support bitsetting…Good luck!..

Anthill,

try to read those RWs back with another drive, maybe a Toshiba or Liteon…

[QUOTE=chef;2535800]Be aware that a DVD-R can hold a few more MB than a DVD+R, so it may be possible that you cannot just copy the content over if the DVD-R were full.[/QUOTE]

Actually the difference in storage capacity is misleading, because of the way that -r MUST have every session closed and the space required for finalization.

LAstly the location in the adress information that -r discs need to use data space for is not an issue with +r because on a +R disc the location information is in the tracking groove.

In the end with a single session full disc there is a slight difference.
If OTOH you are talkign about a multisession disc -R loses, and loses progressively worse with each additional session.

Finally I have an RCA DVD-Recorder under my TV that flatly refuses to recoggnize any -R disc and even most +R discs the only discs it’ll recognise are Sony Branded +RW’s

Home DVD recorders are often very picky about what discs they like.

AD

I never talked about Multisession on DVD anyway, because I believe that’s asking for trouble…
Also, I think this thread is about recordable DVD media what’s been used into computer dvd burners, not standalone devices.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2559251] .
Finally I have an RCA DVD-Recorder under my TV that flatly refuses to recoggnize any -R disc and even most +R discs the only discs it’ll recognise are Sony Branded +RW’s

Home DVD recorders are often very picky about what discs they like.

AD[/QUOTE]

Recorders are very different from players, the original question was about a player. Also recorders use the VR Format and prefer RW. If it suported -R/+R or DVD Video format it should say on the player.