Converting CDV video to DVD

I have some CDVs that I would like to convert to DVDs. For those too young to remember, CDVs are a format produced in the late 80s early 90s. They are sometimes called Video Singles, and they are a combination of CD and laserdisc. Part of the disc contains 20 minutes of digital audio playable on any CD or DVD player. The other part contains 5 minutes of analog video and digital audio in laserdisc format, playable only on a CDV-compatible laserdisc player.

Any idea how I can get the video fro the CDV converted to DVD?

Here is what I have tried so far: Neither my CD-ROM or DVD burner drive will recognize the video portion of the disc. Only the audio portion of the disc appears. I can connect my Laserdisc player to my PC using a video capture card, but some of the CDVs are PAL video format, so that won’t work. Since CDVs are the same size as CDs and fit in my PC (unlike full-sized Laserdiscs) there should a way to use my PCs drives to read/convert these video files to my hard drive.

Any ideas?

Hi and welcome @CDF!

That seems to be some multisession format. Give Isobuster a try.

I can connect my Laserdisc player to my PC using a video capture card, but some of the CDVs are PAL video format, so that won’t work.
Aren’t you able to set your capture card to PAL format? Maybe with another driver?

In addition, you should have a look at www.videohelp.com, maybe you can find something useful there.

Michael

Yes, but the Laserdisc player is NTSC. Will it still work if the capture card is set to PAL? Thanks for your help.

James

Hi,

Hm. Can you play these PAL laserdiscs with that player? If so, then there should be a way to capture these.

Michael

Nope. PAL Lserdiscs won’t work in my USA NTSC only Laserdisc player. I just tried ISOBUSTER, but it only recognizes the audio portions of the disc, and can’t see the video. Any other ideas?

Actually no. Sorry.

Michael

1st-- Purchase a DVD Recorder. I recommend LiteON DVD Recorder.
2nd-- Look in the instructions on “Dubbing” and your all set. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I have a DVD Recorder and when I hook up my Laserdiscs player to it (with RCA cables) I can dub from Laserdisc to DVD (and from CDV to DVD) with no problem, excpet that it is an anolog copy, and I’d rather go digital. The other problem is that some of my CDVs are PAL and my Laserdisc player is NTSC