Converting cassettes into mp3s + separate tracks

I saw an earlier msg about converting cassettes to CDs. I’m want to convert my cassettes into MP3s. I’ve been trying Nero and a program called Golden Records with a big learning curve on both. I’ve successfully used both to convert a cassette into an mp3, although Golden Records always gives me an error message. However, my problem is, it ends up being all one track for one side of the cassette, and all one track for the other. I want to put it on my iPod, and that will be a drag if 5 songs are in one track. I can’t quite seem to figure out how to automate the process of splitting the songs up into tracks. Nero seems like it should do it, but I use the Tape to CD Wizard in Nero’s Sound Trax, and I end up with only one big track when I return. What am I doing wrong? Or, do I have to create a wave file, then take that into the Nero Wave Editor, and do it myself? That’s specifically what I want to avoid. I’ve got about 50 cassettes that I’d like to convert, and if it takes that long, I’ll have to give them a proper burial and cry. What’s the most efficient way you’ve found to do that?

I use Roxio Easy Media Creator V7.5, specifically LP & Tape Assistant. When recording from the cassette it does a pretty fair job of detecting the track splits & then actually splits the tracks when saving them. The output can be wav, mp3 or wma.

I’m sure that pre V8 versions are cheaply available on ebay.

However , there is a function in Nero Wave Editor that will detect tracks & split them for you. Load the wav file , edit & select pause detection & finally save the tracks.

Thanks, Tim. So, I convert the cassette to a wav in Nero Sound Trax, then take the wav into the wav editor? I’ll keep experimenting and post when I’ve found the most efficient means.

Yes that’s what I’d do if I used Nero for this.

Creative has a sound recorder and a wav editor. You gotta have a creative sound card and the program tho.

I’ve been using a program from PolderBit that works like a charm. I just plug the audio into my sound card and away I go. It splits tracks, etc.