Converting cassette to digital

Hi. Thanks to the posters on a previous thread of mine, I now know the basics of cassette tape conversion. I now want to get started on digitising my collection and have a few queries: When using a single cable between player and soundcard, is the resultant recording in mono? Would I get better results by using a hi-fi tape deck and an adapter so that both audio cables plug into the soundcard? (Does that adaper still allow stereo recording?) Is Audacity all I need or are there better programs? When playing a tape, does it matter about setting Dolby on or off? Many thanks.

Hi,[QUOTE=pooksahib;2522775]When using a single cable between player and soundcard, is the resultant recording in mono?[/quote]this depends on the cable, and also on the terminals you are using.

Would I get better results by using a hi-fi tape deck and an adapter so that both audio cables plug into the soundcard? (Does that adaper still allow stereo recording?)
Provided your tape deck has RCA connectors, I’d suggest using a cable with RCA connectors on one end and 3.5mm stereo plug at the other. Like this for example: http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ARTICLE=30570;PROVID=2402

Is Audacity all I need or are there better programs?

Audacity is all you need. I strongly suggest to have a look at the tutorials on Audacity project website.

When playing a tape, does it matter about setting Dolby on or off?
This is something you need to try yourself. Sometimes the quality is better with Dolby “on”, sometimes not.

Michael

I turn off NR settings such as Dolby…do all the noise filtering later in Audacity.

My thanks to you both. I’ve ordered an adaptor from Amazon so that I can use my tape deck and its existing interconnects.

If your goal is MP3, a program that can record straight to MP3 and automatically cut the file into clips is MP3 DirectCut.

Thanks olyteddy. From the description, this sounds similar to WavePad Sound Editor which I already use. Great program…

[QUOTE=deanimator;2522923]I turn off NR settings such as Dolby…do all the noise filtering later in Audacity.[/QUOTE]

I agree as Dolby is “blocking” freq. so you actually get a lossy copy (lossy in a sense). Capture RAW and use digital NR as it’s far better.