Converting Blu-ray to DVD

vbimport

I received a PM and I am really confused how to convert Blu-ray to SL DVD 4.7GB. :frowning:

[I]You’ll have issues loading the Blu-ray into AVStoDVD. It won’t take folders. So, you’ll need to get the m2ts file/files.

Since this is a series, the structure of the Blu-ray is an unknown. It might be that each individual episode is contained in a separate m2ts file. But it might not. This is why I would recommend a different path for importing into AVStoDVD.

Default output from AVStoDVD would be for a single layer DVD. This can be changed if necessary.
[/I]
Original menus cannot be kept when changing formats from Blu-ray to DVD. Or vice-versa.

Converting Blu-ray to DVD is generally an easy task if you have the right tool. I normally recommend BD Rebuilder for this. You import the Blu-ray as always, then change the output to Alternative Output. Remove the check mark from the box to keep Blu-ray or AVCHD compliant output, then put a check mark next to DVD-5.

However, you are dealing with a series disc. You need a menu to select each individual episode, and you will not get one using the process I just outlined above.

Your first task when working with a series disc is to separate each episode and have each one available to import into your conversion program. My suggestion is to use MakeMKV for this.

Since you have AnyDVD HD, you can run it in the background if you wish, but MakeMKV can decrypt most Blu-ray. If you are working with a Blu-ray that is already on the hard drive, MakeMKV can do this as well.

So, either open the original disc, or open the index.bdmv file found in the BDMV folder of your ripped Blu-ray movie. MakeMKV should show you the individual titles of the series and have check marks next to each one. Remove the check marks next to all except the 1st one. Make a name for this episode in the Properties line. Then rip to the hard drive (you’ll need to select the area) and you’ll have the first episode separated from the others in MKV format. Do this for each episode.

Lets say you had four episodes on this first disc. Now you have four MKV files on the hard drive, each with a name to distinguish it from the others. (Episode 1, Episode 2, etc.). At this point you can import the MKV files into AVStoDVD to make your new DVD-video. Don’t forget to make a menu, and don’t try to import more than 2 1/2 hrs of running time for a single layer disc.

@ Kerry , I think this is related to the other thread.
php111 returned the season 1 because it was suggested a bad press might be the cause of ripping errors.
I believe he ordered season 2 .
IDK if he has been successful at ripping the S02 set.
php111 is or was using a slim drive in an external enclosure for doing the rips.
It was my thought in the other thread that this might also be a cause of the errors.

Also how does one identify the specific “press” of a blu-ray disc ?

@cholla: S02 Disc 1 and Disc 2 ripped successful but I have not tried the last disc in the series which is Disc 3. You are right I did return Season 1 to Amazon and I ordered Season 2 from eBay. You are right I am using an external Blu-ray drive by Samsung.

I apologize but it is not related to my other thread. It is related to my thread on Video help by my other username of rocky12.

@ php111 , I take it you didn’t have errors on the discs you ripped from Season 2 ?

If so then that points to a bad press on the Season 1 set you had & not the drive.

BTW I don’t have any blu-ray TV series discs to work with but Sons of Anarchy would be a set I would possibly get.

The external drive should be fine for watching or ripping the Blu-ray discs. It is true some drives are better readers, but php111 seems to be doing ok on ripping this set.

It is not possible to distinguish one pressing from another, to my knowledge. Different editions of movies are generally easier to tell apart due to varying dates of release, different extra content, etc.

php111, if you have any problems with the process I described using MakeMKV and AVStoDVD, let me know and I’ll try to help, but I know these steps should work, as I’ve tested them myself.

@cholla, yes, that is right.

And this thread is related to my thread on VideoHelp and I tried to rip Season 1 and I got errors so I was not able to try to convert anything because Season 1 press errors.

@php111
I’ve had Kerry help me on projects .
He’s usually correct in the procedure because he plays around with programs till he gets it right.

@ Kerry56 , Thanks for the information on blu-ray pressings not being specifically identifiable .

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754357]The external drive should be fine for watching or ripping the Blu-ray discs. It is true some drives are better readers, but php111 seems to be doing ok on ripping this set.

It is not possible to distinguish one pressing from another, to my knowledge. Different editions of movies are generally easier to tell apart due to varying dates of release, different extra content, etc.

php111, if you have any problems with the process I described using MakeMKV and AVStoDVD, let me know and I’ll try to help, but I know these steps should work, as I’ve tested them myself.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I am late with replying. I was rooting a Galaxy S5 phone.

I am very thankful for your help and the information.

I do have a question please? Would it be possible to keep the original menu with the original episodes, etc intacted like they are from being bought without creating new menus and such and how?

[QUOTE=php111;2754370]Sorry I am late with replying. I was rooting a Galaxy S5 phone.

I am very thankful for your help and the information.

I do have a question please? Would it be possible to keep the original menu with the original episodes, etc intacted like they are from being bought without creating new menus and such and how?[/QUOTE]

No. The only way to keep the original menus is to keep the whole thing in Blu-ray format.

It is possible to reduce the size of the movie to fit onto a single layer Blu-ray disc, or even reduce it to fit a double layer DVD, but the quality will be adversely affected going down that small (7.9gb), and not all Blu-ray players will play Blu-ray format from a DVD disc. No DVD player will play it, because the resolution will be too large, and is thus incompatible.

Your original question was conversion from Blu-ray to DVD-video format. You will NOT be able to retain original menus in this type of conversion.

[QUOTE=php111;2754370] I do have a question please? Would it be possible to keep the original menu with the original episodes, etc intacted like they are from being bought without creating new menus and such and how?[/QUOTE]
Probably not since the original is blu-ray & you are going to DVD.

If you could get ahold of a DVD set I think you might be able to do this.
What you would do is rip the original menus from that set.

This would take a combination of TitleWriter & PGCEdit .
As well as some dedicated study .
I’ve done this with a DVD I was experimenting with but never a blu-ray converted to DVD . This isn’t an easy operation. To add to that it is specific to the DVD menu you are working with. So one set of instructions doesn’t fit all.

If anyone knows a better, easier way to do this I would like to see it.
As well as the software they use . There may be some paid software that does this & simpler . I bet it’s expensive . If it exists.

I understand. What type of conversion if any to allow me to retain original menus?

[QUOTE=cholla;2754373]Probably not since the original is blu-ray & you are going to DVD.

If you could get ahold of a DVD set I think you might be able to do this.
What you would do is rip the original menus from that set.

This would take a combination of TitleWriter & PGCEdit .
As well as some dedicated study .
I’ve done this with a DVD I was experimenting with but never a blu-ray converted to DVD . This isn’t an easy operation. To add to that it is specific to the DVD menu you are working with. So one set of instructions doesn’t fit all.

If anyone knows a better, easier way to do this I would like to see it.
As well as the software they use . There may be some paid software that does this & simpler . I bet it’s expensive . If it exists.[/QUOTE]

That is like a whole different task and much complex! LOL.

If you buy the DVD set just for the menus, what is the point of converting from Blu-ray? Maybe an intellectual puzzle to play with, but not a simple one.

As I said before php111, you cannot keep the Blu-ray menus and convert to any other format. Blu-ray menus are complex to say the least, and they will NOT transfer to another format. The only thing you can do is use BD Rebuilder to reduce the size of the original and keep the menus. That’s as good as it gets.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754376]If you buy the DVD set just for the menus, what is the point of converting from Blu-ray? Maybe an intellectual puzzle to play with, but not a simple one.

As I said before php111, you cannot keep the Blu-ray menus and convert to any other format. Blu-ray menus are complex to say the least, and they will NOT transfer to another format. The only thing you can do is use BD Rebuilder to reduce the size of the original and keep the menus. That’s as good as it gets.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I know it’s not a simple one.

@ php111 ,The link is where I joined a DVD split with DVDFab back together .
With the original menu working . The process would be similar to the menu work done on that . But more than likely there would be some specific menu commands you would need to figure out.

@ Kerry , Of course staying within forum rules the recommendation would require purchase of the DVD set . I have no plan to recommend otherwise. This would seem senseless.
However whose to say which would produce the best quality backup until it was tried.