Converting audio - 24bit to 16bit

vbimport

Hello guys,

I have been using GoldWave to convert audio files from 24bit to 16bit so I can burn them with Nero to CD.

I have been told that GoldWave should not be used for converting 24bit files to 16bit as it simply chops off the last 8 bits, and does not dither.
I have been told this is a bad thing and I shoud not use GoldWave for this purpose.

Why is this such a bad thing ?
Am I going to actually hear a difference if I use a program which will dither to 16bit properly without chopping off the last 8 bits ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers !

You probably won’t hear a difference unless your using top end equipment to listen to the converted 16bit files.
If you want dithering and/or excellent conversion from 24bit to 16bit, i would suggest either. Sony Soundforge or Steinberg Wavelab. They cost a lot though.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2071104]If you want dithering and/or excellent conversion from 24bit to 16bit, i would suggest either. Sony Soundforge or Steinberg Wavelab. They cost a lot though.[/QUOTE]

Or Audacity, for free :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=pepst;2071116]Or Audacity, for free :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]I like Audacity too, but its not in the same league as Soundforge, then again i’m probably being a bit snobbish about Soundforge :slight_smile:
For sure, Audacity doesn’t cost as much.

I’ve seen the guys over at hydrogenaudio.org use foobar2000’s Diskwriter/Convert function (with dithering) for their 24/96 vs. 16/44 ABX listening tests, mainly because it’s free (so everyone can repeat the tests). But if they use it, I suppose it can’t be that bad. :slight_smile: