Converting Audigy 1 -> Audigy 2

I’ve read on quite some places on the net tutorials how to convert a SB Audigy 1 (no matter what version) to a SB Audigy 2, just by making used of hacked drivers.

The people who did this claim that they are getting way better soundquality. Did anybody here ever try/test it? Did it work out?

If so, I’m willing to try all the hassle :slight_smile:

Man, I’d like to get some of what those people are smoking…

Audigy and Audigy 2 uses completely different sound processor, so unless you can find an Audigy 2 chip and solder that onto an Audigy sound card, the answer is no.

And that better sound quality claim? It’s all psychological.

Creative says that there is a total different SPU under the hood… but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it weren’t true…

Ati does this with videocards, HP with printers etc etc… and maybe the SPU is different, there may be parts of the chip that are identical to the SB A1. We all know that drivers can increase performance, even on sound.

I wish I had some good recording device I could test it on…

It DOES make a difference. I am using my Audigy 1 and an old Live! with the new Audigy 2 drivers, and the sound is definitely clearer. I am going to try a few subjective tests… try it! Let’s just say that Creative’s driver people seem to consist of a bunch of monkeys working with the proverbial typewriter :wink:
go to http://www.pcabx.com/program/index.htm , and download the program. After that, go to http://www.pcabx.com/technical/index.htm and try the free samples. Try differentiating between different soundcards… it’s fun!

Upgraded my Audigy1 (Plat) drivers too; works fine at first sight.
In my “device list” however, it’s still listed as “Creative Audigy”.

Did you uninstall the audigy 1 plat drivers first or just install the audigy 2 plat drivers ?

I uninstalled the drivers first (including Audigy Win2k/XP webupdate).
After rebooting, I used the Audigy2 drivers (modified the ID-string in the Data.cab file first though).

could you explain where the data.cab file is and what you changed it to ?

Check your PM :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Man, I’d like to get some of what those people are smoking…

Audigy and Audigy 2 uses completely different sound processor, so unless you can find an Audigy 2 chip and solder that onto an Audigy sound card, the answer is no.

And that better sound quality claim? It’s all psychological. [/B]

That maybe so, but chances are that the next gen chip for the Audigy 2 may actually be based on the previous chip used in the audigy 2.

It wouldn’t make sense to completely re-write drivers if they could make the new chip software functions the same, and just change what happens inside the chip.

In this case, installing audigy 2 drivers wouldn’t make a speck of difference since the changes would be internal to the chip and not external.

I think then, it’s totally a moot point upgrading audigy 1 drivers to audigy 2 drivers, since it still depends on what chip you have.

I don’t know whether or not the sound is better now, but I did found a difference for me: With the official Audigy1 drivers, I could not get BPM-Studio to work. Each time I loaded the program, PC gave a blue screen (imagine: win2k + blue screen; something TERRIBLY wrong ;)) and the PC rebooted.
With the Audigy2 drivers, it works like a charm.

Hi,

as nobody post a “how-to” or a link, here’s one:
http://www.tech-pc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8736

It seems to be pretty old news though.

CIA.

MiRV

I read this thread, and got realy excited.

However it seems that the Audigy1 chip cannot handle 24 bit 96khz signals.I have read comments on another thread that the Audigy2 software loads, but the options above 48khz are missing. Damb.

I realy would love to be able to record at 96khz with my SB Live! Can it be done?

Originally posted by Wannez
I uninstalled the drivers first (including Audigy Win2k/XP webupdate).
After rebooting, I used the Audigy2 drivers (modified the ID-string in the Data.cab file first though).

Ok resurrection time:p … here is my question I recently got an audigy 2 oem version that was made for Gateway … I can’t install the original creative drivers nor update them I can only install the Gateway version ones now I downloaded the cdrom image from the techpc article and can manually install the seperate apps like eax console etc but not the driver ( no audigy 2 card detected error message) perhaps the author of this quote or someone else can tell me how to edit the proper file in the creative driver to have this card recognized by the creative drivers as an audigy 2 retail so I can eventually use the updates as well as the creative driver

Thanx in advance