Converted avi's, not in fluid motion

vbimport

Hi
I have a problem that when I convert an avi to dvd files the movie seems to stutter every 2 or 3 seconds, its not in fluid motion it only happens for a split second but its annoying this also happens with games occassionaly.
Previously this did not happen when converting but slowly it would happen every now and then until now where it always happens with every conversion.
computer is a little on the slow side being a amd 3200 x2, 6600 gt graphics with 3 gb ram, but this was not always a problem, so I dont think its the pc, maybe a setting
any ideas?

cheers

This is happening after they’ve been burned to DVD?

yes it is after burning and playing on a regular dvd player.
Thing is some of my games do it as well when they play the storyline of a game( where it shows an animated movie clip)
Sometimes when playing dvd’s it is not very noticable until the camera sweeps around , like a scenery shot or a car driving down the street, it doesn’t jolt the sound but the picture jolts,

There’s a good possibility that the media or burn speed could be the culprit, then. As your computer is more than adequate for converting and burning.

What brand of discs are you using, and what speed are you burning them at?

I have taiyo yuden 8* and am letting the computer decide the burn speed, which is set at maximum. Perhaps I should manually set it lower?
Funny thing too is that I have stopped using clone dvd as it started making coasters every now and then. I am now using shrink as it seems to copy better, but still with the stop motion.
Maybe a full disk format is due, but I would really like to know what the problem is.
I am also using nero and have found in the past if I use convert x to dvd the problem is not as bad

cheers

What quality setting are you using for conversion? If your TY’s are 8x, try burning them at 6x. If they are 16x, try burning at 12x. Make sure that you don’t have anything else running while converting (av, anti-spyware, etc…)… Try booting into safe mode and then convert and burn and see if that changes anything. Defrag your HD’s. Some professional video editing softwares recommend right in the documentation, that you defrag prior to each capture/conversion. I don’t go to that extreme, but I do make sure that I defrag about every 2 or 3 videos… Video capture/conversion, really fragments up your HD’s…

This sounds like a fps to refresh rate problem

If you play back a PAL video clip (50Hz) on a NTFS display (60Hz) you usually get stutter as the player has to insert extra frames, some space them appart where others just lump them together, either way it causes a stutter and its usually about every second you get a very breif pause.

If you go the other way (60Hz film on 50Hz display) you still get a stutter but its more of a speed up stutter than a pause.

I will start to defrag my disk every couple of converts and set the burn speed lower. But I think that the problem could be the conversion from ntsc to pal, I just noticed that I didn’t check the box for pal. Thats probably why it happens every now and then and not all the time

I always have other stuff running avp and utorrent. if the pal conversion don’t work I’ll try safe mode.

thanks all for the help and I’ll let you know.

cheers

[QUOTE=dasqer;2058524]I will start to defrag my disk every couple of converts and set the burn speed lower. But I think that the problem could be the conversion from ntsc to pal, I just noticed that I didn’t check the box for pal. Thats probably why it happens every now and then and not all the time

[B]I always have other stuff running[/B] avp and [B]utorrent[/B]. if the pal conversion don’t work I’ll try safe mode.

thanks all for the help and I’ll let you know.

cheers[/QUOTE]

That is probably where “your movies” come from.
I’d suggest buying the originals, then converting if needed.