Convert .vob and .ts into xvid

I have a couple hundred DVDs ripped to 1 large .vob file. I use the .vob to stream to network media players. I can accomplish this with the original DVD if I must, but it would be easier to simply point to the existing file and convert it. I also have .ts files that I would like to convert into xvid. Is it possible to run DVDFab to convert the .vob and .ts files into xvid?

Are all these DVDs in a single file(??) or a single VOB per title? I think you will be better off getting a file converter with a batch mode than trying to process all of these with DVDFab, which may not read the file(s) in any event, depending on how they are structured. I have had good luck with AVS Video Converter ( www.avs4you.com ). It has a stable batch mode and will convert almost anything to everything. I believe it will read .ts and .trp files also. I am also not clear on why (and to what) you need to convert these files (s). [quote=hakras;1928212]I have a couple hundred DVDs ripped to 1 large .vob file. I use the .vob to stream to network media players. I can accomplish this with the original DVD if I must, but it would be easier to simply point to the existing file and convert it. I also have .ts files that I would like to convert into xvid. Is it possible to run DVDFab to convert the .vob and .ts files into xvid?[/quote]

Maybe you can use project-x on them.

Each title is a single .vob. The movies are mostly for the kids and my server is starting to fill up. I was looking into converting them all to xvid to free up server space. Is AVS Video Converter easy to use? Will it maintain 5.1 audio?

It’s very easy and has a good UI. I’m not sure about the 5.1 audio though. You might want to download it and take a look, I think it has a trial version. I have not used it for reading VOBs but it lists them as an acceptable input file type.

I don’t think there are any divx or xvid compressors that preserve surround sound. all the ones that I’ve investigated give 2 channel stereo only.
if you want to keep surround you’ll have to stick with DVD file formats, but you could compress your larger movies using fab’s option to compress to DVD5 size. So you’ll shrink say a 7gb movie to just over 4gb. Using fabs customise to remove unwanted subtitles , directors commentaries & foreign languages will free up even more space.

PS Iv’e not tried this but fab will maybe compress to smaller dvd files if you alter the default DVD5 value in common settings. e.g. if you dropped that from 4gb to 3gb it would compress to that size & should still look as good or better than xvid, and still have surround sound.

It’s possible to use the AC3 5.1 sound in XviD. You must have the AC3 codec on your machine. AC3 is reconized and play well on standalones with Xvid/DivX. I don’t know, if DTS sound works. :confused:

I agree with cybmole. Last time i did some tests to shrink extremly some movies to 42 - 46 % of original size.
(This takes max. 25 mins on my slow machine, 2 DL to 1 SL, HD folder to HD folder) For my feeling its better
lookable as XviD. If you want to shrink aprox 50% set DVD size in common settings for a 4400 MB movie to
2200 MB and try it out.

The compression of DVDFab (DVDtoDVD) is really great and worth to test some strange settings.

[quote=cybmole;1928879]I don’t think there are any divx or xvid compressors that preserve surround sound. all the ones that I’ve investigated give 2 channel stereo only.
if you want to keep surround you’ll have to stick with DVD file formats, but you could compress your larger movies using fab’s option to compress to DVD5 size. So you’ll shrink say a 7gb movie to just over 4gb. Using fabs customise to remove unwanted subtitles , directors commentaries & foreign languages will free up even more space.

PS Iv’e not tried this but fab will maybe compress to smaller dvd files if you alter the default DVD5 value in common settings. e.g. if you dropped that from 4gb to 3gb it would compress to that size & should still look as good or better than xvid, and still have surround sound. [/quote]

I have tried compressing to <50% with DVDFab using the DVD5 size box and the results were not great (but watchable). Looked nowhere near as good as xvid.

[quote=cybmole;1928879]I don’t think there are any divx or xvid compressors that preserve surround sound. all the ones that I’ve investigated give 2 channel stereo only.

PS Iv’e not tried this but fab will maybe compress to smaller dvd files if you alter the default DVD5 value in common settings. e.g. if you dropped that from 4gb to 3gb it would compress to that size & should still look as good or better than xvid, and still have surround sound.[/quote]

[QUOTE=signals;1928956]I have tried compressing to <50% with DVDFab using the DVD5 size box and the results were not great (but watchable). Looked nowhere near as good as xvid.[/QUOTE]

at what % do you reckon it crosses over ? i.e. at what point does xvid give better results ?

Most posters say that dvdfab compression is pretty good in the 80-90% range.

[quote=cybmole;1928986]at what % do you reckon it crosses over ? i.e. at what point does xvid give better results ?

Most posters say that dvdfab compression is pretty good in the 80-90% range.[/quote]Hi cybmole
I tried this 6 or 8 months ago just to see how it worked. I compressed (as best I can remember) a movie that was 5.2GB down to 2.2GB. I have had excellent results with DVDFab as low as 65%, but it varies with the quality of the encoding and bitrate of the original DVD. For fullscreen on PC or watching on a TV (I tried both) it was not as good as a high bitrate MPEG-4 (2200 mb/s) and was about twice the size. I try to stay at 70% as a minimum and use DLs if it goes below that (my standalone player won’t play AVIs, I tested the MPEG-4 by hooking my Archos up to the TV).

There is another program called WinAvi Video Converter. It’s similar to the AVS. I don’t know which one of them is better. WinAvi you can buy, AVS4YOU’s products are a subscription deal.

Mike, I tried WinAVI but found it would freeze on some files that the AVS would convert. Also could not find a way to tweak the codec controls like you can with AVS. I think with the AVS you can buy one if that’s all you want or get the whole thing (like VSO’s goldmember deal). I got the license for all of them. I don’t use either one a whole lot since DVDFab Plat has so many conversion options.

Well that’s good to know. I had done a search to try to get any info on which one was better and couldn’t find anything.

I did not see on their site any options to buy one. They don’t have any “store” section that I could see. Just a register button that shows the subscription rates. I like to have a program like this on hand (even though I rarely use one) but don’t want any subscription plan on a program I may never use in a one year period of time. I’m not too keen on trial versions of anything cause they never seem to do what you wanted.

I do have WinAvi 7 and haven’t used it in a couple of years I think (my daughter may have used it a couple of times to convert her .avi’s).

WinAVI freezes on me also.

I use Imtoo ripper platinum when I want to convert to AVI - that program produces divx rather than xvid but default quality is good & it has lots of other format & quality options. It will rip most dvds direct from the DVD but for some it struggles with the copy protection, so I rip to HD with fab then convert with IMtoo. It’s good for converting lots of individual chapters in batch mode & it supports all of the mobile formats like zune & 3Gp, if you need those