Convert UK vhs video to US format DVD

I am not technically minded. I have two video tapes from late 70s/early 80s that are special to me, one is a wedding video and the other of my children and such. I live in the USA now and cannot view these. I want to know if I can get these converted to US format dvds?
The answers need to be simple for my non technical brain, and if you can direct me to a service company that does this, that would be marvellous
thanks!

It is possible, but it require few different software and free once are not that easy to use.
Also it require VHS machine which can play PAL tapes, if that is the case.
It is better to find a shop in your area, who can convert it for you.
Call few TV retailers and ask for one, they may know.
Do not call department stores, I do not think you will get any answer there.
Sometime, TV repair shop is a good way to start.

Thank you somewhere to start at last :slight_smile:

Send those special tapes by courier(a known guy maybe) to India?Maybe I can help you here,full confidentiality maintained.

I have seen similar questions in a forum called videohelp.com, search there.
Also, the guys from digitalfaq.com offer services that might be what you need.

I haven’t purchased anything from this site .Maybe they have the type multi system VCR/DVDcombo unit you need.
There are probably other sites that sell the same units but I think they are what you need.

https://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=282

[quote=floridawoody;2201221]I am not technically minded. I have two video tapes from late 70s/early 80s that are special to me, one is a wedding video and the other of my children and such. I live in the USA now and cannot view these. I want to know if I can get these converted to US format dvds?
The answers need to be simple for my non technical brain, and if you can direct me to a service company that does this, that would be marvellous
thanks![/quote]
I installed a WinFast Turner card in my computer and hooked my VCR to it and when I play the tapes I click on record it saves it to my HDD in DVD format :wink: it will also burn to disc…but I like to do a little editing :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2202507]I installed a WinFast Turner card in my computer and hooked my VCR to it and when I play the tapes I click on record it saves it to my HDD in DVD format :wink: it will also burn to disc…but I like to do a little editing :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I can do the same thing here in New Zealand :slight_smile:

Yeah[B]!!..[/B] works great for movies not found on DVD :wink:

SJ :cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2202507]I installed a WinFast Turner card in my computer and hooked my VCR to it and when I play the tapes I click on record it saves it to my HDD in DVD format :wink: it will also burn to disc…but I like to do a little editing :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

This is nice, but OP has VHS from UK and it is a PAL region, that is why he cannot play them on NTSC type VHS player and TV in US.
They have to be converted first, or played on a player that [B]cholla[/B] recommend. From that you can convert it to DVD.

I just googled & found the site that had the multi system VCR/DVD combo units.
I have never used one & doubt that I will need to.
They seem to be the solution.
The LG V271 MULTISYSTEM DVD/VCR COMBO for US$115.99 & Shipping Charges : $19.00 seemed reasonable.
The OP might pay that for having someone do the conversion.
Of course to record it to DVD it would have to be input into a DVD recorder.A settop could be used or a capture card like StormJumper suggested for strait to the computer.

LG V271 MULTISYSTEM DVD/VCR COMBO
That unit is no good. It need multi system TV, which North American TV sets are not.

This site seam to have a right equipment.

https://www.samstores.com/Store.asp?CtgID=282

LG V271 MULTISYSTEM DVD/VCR COMBO
was in the list on the same site I should have read the more info on it.But you are correct on the type TV it would need to work by itself.
It would need this converter from the site.
https://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=2674
I didn’t look but these devices may be available from other sites as well.I would shop around for the best price.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2202803]This is nice, but OP has VHS from UK and it is a PAL region, that is why he cannot play them on NTSC type VHS player and TV in US.
They have to be converted first, or played on a player that [B]cholla[/B] recommend. From that you can convert it to DVD.[/QUOTE]

They must do things different in the US of A :frowning:

My VHS Player will play both PAL and NTSC tapes :slight_smile:

So where is the problem?

[QUOTE=cholla;2202981]LG V271 MULTISYSTEM DVD/VCR COMBO
was in the list on the same site I should have read the more info on it.But you are correct on the type TV it would need to work by itself.
It would need this converter from the site.
https://www.samstores.com/details.asp?ProdID=2674
I didn’t look but these devices may be available from other sites as well.I would shop around for the best price.[/QUOTE]

This is fine, but OP will still need PAL VHS Player for this.

[QUOTE=Zippity;2203042]They must do things different in the US of A :frowning:

My VHS Player will play both PAL and NTSC tapes :slight_smile:

So where is the problem?[/QUOTE]

You are lucky, most PAL equipment will play PAL and NTSC on PAL TV, but this is not true in NTSC country, or rather North America.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2203043]This is fine, but OP will still need PAL VHS Player for this.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to ruin your party, but I think that you are wrong.

I have copied several PAL DVDs and sent them over to a friend in California and he has had no difficulty watching them on either his PC, Laptop or home TV :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zippity;2203056]Sorry to ruin your party, but I think that you are wrong.

I have copied several PAL DVDs and sent them over to a friend in California and he has had no difficulty watching them on either his PC, Laptop or home TV :)[/QUOTE]

PC or Laptop do not care about TV system, they interpret mpeg file.
It is quite possible that your friend has converting DVD player to play on TV, they are available. I have one like that myself, but it is not common.
Or your friend play TV from a computer.

The basics would be a PAL VHS player, and a capture card.
BUT, to improve the image of the old tapes, the OP would need a TBC device, and he would also need to learn how to use Avisynth or other software to run scripts to improve the image, correct the speed of PAL vs NTSC video and…
Finally he would need to export the resulting files to DVD video.
Also, during the 80s-90s there were at least 3 standards for VHS in Europe. Who knows if the VHS player he buys will be able to play his tapes?