Convert PATA to eSata or USB3?

vbimport

Ok so i have a couple of ol recorders, that are fairly good. One of them is Pioneer 116D DVD-RW, and i also got a Plextor Premium CD-RW. For the last couple of years I have stopped using the PC that they are installed on, and since I’m planning to stash it in a box and store it in some basement or something, I would like to extract the drives since they’re good and use them externally on a modern PC.

There are already cable converters which I own, that transform PATA to USB2.0 but wouldn’t that make them considerably slow? I’m desperately looking for newer converters that will turn them to either eSATA or USB3 so i can fully utilize them as external units.

Have you noticed anything like what I’m describing anywhere out there?

Even DVDRW drives up to ~20x can function over USB 2.0 if both the USB-to-ATA bridge supports the speeds required, and if the USB controller in the computer is capable of it. So the Plex Premium (which came as an external drive with USB 2.0) will be fine.

The Pioneer DVR-116 might be a little harder. Even though there were SATA 216 models sold as external drives with USB 2.0 (meaning the 20x writing support and 16x reading support could perform flawlessly on some systems, which I can personally verify), you might have to do a bit of checking to ensure that whatever USB-to-PATA bridge you choose works properly. A USB 3.0 bridge might inherently work better here, and be useful should you ever desire to tackle Blu-ray devices or need to use it for HDD access with higher speeds than ~20 MB/s.

eSATA units…hmm. Typically, they rely on the drive already being SATA, frequently with the bridge made to support eSATA as well as USB and/or FireWire. (Or the enclosure may be made to support only 3.5"/2.5" drives, leaving out support for half-height optical drives). PATA-to-SATA bridges exist, but are typically only for internal use, since they require a connection to the computer’s power supply, and may not properly support hot swapping customarily associated with eSATA. I’d stick with finding a PATA-to-USB2 or USB3 bridge.

Enclosures for optical drives are not difficult to find. I believe I have seen mentions of Vantec NexStar line of enclosures around here with few or no complaints.

USB 2.0 is considerably faster than ATA66 and ATA100 IDE optical drive

USB3.0 is simply a waste for anything not at least ATA300 aka SATA 3.0
(often incorrectly refered to as “Sata-II”).

Most early SATA optical drives were not as fast as the ATA150/SATA1.5 standard interfaces they connected with.

Does anything short of a Bluray drive needs an interface faster than SATA1.5?

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2674361]
Does anything short of a Bluray drive needs an interface faster than SATA1.5?[/QUOTE]

Not even the Blu-ray drive needs faster than that, to be quite honest.

The recommendation for USB 3.0 is overkill, now that I re-acknowledge the OP would get a new computer, and USB 2.0 implementations in new computers should be fairly robust these days. I’m just hoping the ATA-to-USB bridge performs properly, which might be a little iffy…but then again, at moderate writing speeds, this still shouldn’t be a problem.

Are you certain guys that i can trust the old USB2.0 for this kind of job? I mean i get that it can be enough for the CD-RW drive, but can it deliver properly on full speed DVD-R and DVD-R DL? USB has a nominal of 480mbps, but actual speed is more like half of it. I seldom see more than 30MB/s data rates…

In general you cannot expect to get writing speeds all the way to 16x with a USB enclosure and a PATA DVD drive (with some exceptions); the speed usually tops out at 13-15x in my experience.

If you don’t attempt to write DVDs faster than 12x you should be fine with USB 2.0.

CD writing should be no problem with USB 2.0, but advanced functions such as e.g. C1/C2 scanning and firmware flashing [I]might[/I] not work properly with all IDE/USB bridges.

If you don’t attempt to write DVDs faster than 12x you should be fine with USB 2.0.

Yeah, that. My external USB2 DVD drive’s ‘sweet spot’ was 12X.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2674371]In general you cannot expect to get writing speeds all the way to 16x with a USB enclosure and a PATA DVD drive (with some exceptions); the speed usually tops out at 13-15x in my experience.

CD writing should be no problem with USB 2.0, but advanced functions such as e.g. C1/C2 scanning and firmware flashing [I]might[/I] not work properly with all IDE/USB bridges.[/QUOTE]

Hmm i see. So should a USB3 or eSATA converter allow for full use?I still cannot find those, only on enclosures for SATA drives i can only find them.

Also why would features such C1/C2, flashing and possibly others, don’t work correctly on USB interface?

[QUOTE=therock003;2674434]Also why would features such C1/C2, flashing and possibly others, don’t work correctly on USB interface?[/QUOTE] I don’t know about the “why” such commands/features might not work through a particular USB/IDE bridge, but it’s a fact that such advanced features don’t always work - depending on the drive, the feature, and the USB/IDE bridge chipset.

I assume you would like to use the advanced features of the Plextor Premium, which is why I mention it as something to be aware of.

BTW i forgot to ask previously, are the commands translated correctly between IDE/USB protocols? Cause I’d think its not a matter of just speed. Does anyone know how data is handle on IDE and USB and whats the relationship amongst them? I know i’m going deep, but should be interesting if anyone knows :slight_smile:

Is there a reason why someone couldn’t just use a IDE to SATA converter and keep the drive internal?

I have a Pioneer 116 and BenQ 1650 myself on the legacy sole IDE connection to the mobo on my ‘new’ rig.

What do you mean? Where did you find an IDE to SATA converter?

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004

You can find cheaper prices at other retailers as well as other brands.

Tried posting a link but it won’t let me, so I can’t. Just google IDE to SATA adapter though, there are several on Newegg and a they sell them at any number of retailers that carry computer components.

One other note - we use some of ASROCK’s latest motherboards because they offer IDE connectors (even floppy for easy XP installs) and this gives us a modern CPU connected to some of the most trustworthy and reliable DVD burners around.

[QUOTE=figgypuddy;2675597]Tried posting a link but it won’t let me, so I can’t. …[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. Fixed.

I finally found this thing on a store nearby but will it do the work for sure? I’m afraid if it just converts an ide slot on the mobo into to sata. Will it work if i plug the pata on a hard drive or optical drive and output from the sata? Preferably on a sata2esta cable.

Also can i get a 2x5.25 external mount, so i can stack a couple of optical drives into a frame? Usually there are frames that convert 2x5.25 into 3x3.5 like this one. But i just need a 2x5.25 frame just so that i can house the optical drives.

[QUOTE=therock003;2681529]I finally found this thing on a store nearby but will it do the work for sure? I’m afraid if it just converts an ide slot on the mobo into to sata. Will it work if i plug the pata on a hard drive or optical drive and output from the sata?[/QUOTE]

Based on the photo, that is a bidirectional adapter which could work either as a SATA --> PATA or as a PATA --> SATA adapter, so you could use it either one way or the other. Just make sure you’re using the correct SATA connector on the adapter (one is an input, the other is an output). They are typically advertised as being compatible with optical drives.

[QUOTE=therock003;2681529]Preferably on a sata2esta cable.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about that … it might work or it just might be a step too far… I guess it would depend on which eSATA controller your mobo has, if it is fully compatible with ODD drives, and if it likes the adapter … on the other hand, the adapter will most likely not like/support hot plugging … you won’t know for sure until you buy one and give it a try … these are really meant for internal use …

[QUOTE=therock003;2681529]Also can i get a 2x5.25 external mount[/QUOTE]

It depends I guess on the configuration of the external mount. If it has two separate eSATA ports connected directly to the internal drives without any electronics in between, it might work subject to the above, but generally the more hardware you have in between, the less likely it is that such things will work … if the enclosure has any interfacing electronics in it, then there’s little chance for that set-up to work.

The other problem might be that if your drives are PATA, these adapters will have to reside inside of the external enclosure, and it is perfectly possible, if not even likely, that you won’t have enough space to physically fit two of these in the enclosure.

If you really want to connect two external PATA ODD drives to a computer, then buy a proper USB enclosure designed for that, either a dual one if such thing even exists, or two separate ones. I doubt you’ll be able to find an eSATA enclosure (either single or dual) which takes IDE drives, although you never know… it is likely to cost a lot though …

If you’re running out of ODD drive bays on your machine, it would make sense to connect your PATA drives internally, via two such adapters, and instead try connecting your SATA drives externally via a suitable eSATA/USB3 solution which supports ODD… price-wise this would also be probably cheaper nowadays too …

Thanx for your reply

[QUOTE=cvs;2681686]Based on the photo, that is a bidirectional adapter which could work either as a SATA --> PATA or as a PATA --> SATA adapter, so you could use it either one way or the other. Just make sure you’re using the correct SATA connector on the adapter (one is an input, the other is an output). They are typically advertised as being compatible with optical drives.

I don’t know about that … it might work or it just might be a step too far… I guess it would depend on which eSATA controller your mobo has, if it is fully compatible with ODD drives, and if it likes the adapter … on the other hand, the adapter will most likely not like/support hot plugging … you won’t know for sure until you buy one and give it a try … these are really meant for internal use …[/QUOTE]

Its just as important that if it works, it does with the eSATA as well so i can use the drives as external. If it only accepts Sata then it will have to be internel, and that would not be something i want.

You mentioned something about eSATA controller liking the adapter. Are there any specs or protocols i should read about esata? Cause i have tried using an sata2esata cable with internal HDD drives to act as external, and all my newer ones worked, but some early gen Maxtor SATA drives couldnt work, when connected with eSATA. I found it weird.

So is there any documentation on esata behavior and connectivity?

It depends I guess on the configuration of the external mount. If it has two separate eSATA ports connected directly to the internal drives without any electronics in between, it might work subject to the above, but generally the more hardware you have in between, the less likely it is that such things will work … if the enclosure has any interfacing electronics in it, then there’s little chance for that set-up to work.

The other problem might be that if your drives are PATA, these adapters will have to reside inside of the external enclosure, and it is perfectly possible, if not even likely, that you won’t have enough space to physically fit two of these in the enclosure.

If you really want to connect two external PATA ODD drives to a computer, then buy a proper USB enclosure designed for that, either a dual one if such thing even exists, or two separate ones. I doubt you’ll be able to find an eSATA enclosure (either single or dual) which takes IDE drives, although you never know… it is likely to cost a lot though …

If you’re running out of ODD drive bays on your machine, it would make sense to connect your PATA drives internally, via two such adapters, and instead try connecting your SATA drives externally via a suitable eSATA/USB3 solution which supports ODD… price-wise this would also be probably cheaper nowadays too …

I’m sorry my bad. I only need something that will act as housing. It doesnt need to provide any electronics. I will do that. I only need to use something as a stand. I couldnt find a better picture on the internet so i posted that one but its not accurate.

Ok so this ones better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16841101035

Its a product that acts as a rack. It houses 4 HDDs. I need something similar but i need to house 2 ODDs instead. The back should be open like this one, so i can connect the ide2sata product for data, and use a molex to draw power.

[QUOTE=therock003;2681718]You mentioned something about eSATA controller liking the adapter. Are there any specs or protocols i should read about esata? Cause i have tried using an sata2esata cable with internal HDD drives to act as external, and all my newer ones worked, but some early gen Maxtor SATA drives couldnt work, when connected with eSATA. I found it weird.

So is there any documentation on esata behavior and connectivity?
[/QUOTE]

Generic info most likely, but useful specific info for your particular combination of hardware not very likely (unless you’re lucky to stumble upon that specific combination on a forum somewhere) … the only way to know for sure if its going to work with your specific hardware combination is to buy one of those little adapters and see if it works with your optical drive connected to your computer via an eSata cable… you can take the power for the drive and for the adapter from your computer in order to try it via the eSATA link…

If its working, then you can buy a suitable external rack once you find one and you’re in business …