Convert PAL to NTSC

vbimport

I have been trying to convert a PAL movie to NTSC. I have the ISO image of the disc and tried DVD-Decrypter then DVDShrink. After that I used (or tried to) VobBlanker. When I open the files in VobBlanker I get a message… See attachment 1 (left).

When I click OK, I get another message… See attachment 2 (right)

I click OK and did the full scan as it suggests then Right Click each item and set the video attributes to NTSC… See attachment 3

When finished I pressed PROCESS and it works for a while but end with an error…See attachment 4.

I see there is no VTS_12_0.VOB file in the input folder, so what do I do? I have a VTS_12_1.VOB & VTS_12_0.IFO & VTS_12_0.BUP

Mike

Does the ISO file play correctly? Try opening it with VLC media player first.

Yes, I can watch the movie in VLC.

I’m just wondering if you have all the copy protection removed properly. Did you rip to the hard drive with the latest version of AnyDVD or DVDFab? Is this the Prince Caspian Narnia movie?

Which program are you going to use to convert to NTSC? ConvertXtoDVD has this capability supposedly. I personally would use ProCoder, but that encoder is not cheap and very few have it. Some have had success using AVStoDVD or FAVC, when using the HC encoder.

I use DVD-Decrypter to remove copy protection and DVDShrink (also removes protection). I have never had a problem removing protection.

Once VIDEO_VTS folder on HD, I was trying to use VobBlanker to convert to NTSC, but it complained about VTS_12_0.VOB missing (and it is in fact not in the input folder), But I am not sure it is supposed to be or if there is a problem with the IFO file?

If you are using DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink, then you are not getting all the protection off. Neither have been updated in a very long time and there are new protection schemes coming out quite often.

Use the free decryption/ripping section of DVDFab, called DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will continue to work even after the trial is over. Here is the latest beta: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-5-2-0-8-beta-out-258553/

Thanks, will it convert PAL to NTSC? If not, what do you suggest for that?

Downloaded DVDFab and when I try to start it, I get a splash screen for a split second, but no program… I restarted my computer 3 times and still no joy.

Mike

I just downloaded the beta version of DVDFab that I linked for you. It installed perfectly in my machine. And I don’t own the main program, so I just get the free section, but it is working just fine.

Have no idea what is going on with your setup. Best to start a thread in the DVDFab forum if you are having problems getting it to run.

Conversion PAL to NTSC can be done with ConvertXtoDVD supposedly…there is no fully functional trial of the program. Their trial puts a watermark on the video. The Film Machine also claims this capability…and you can use the free HC encoder with it. HC is an excellent mpeg2 encoder by the way.

Some people have had success using FAVC or AVStoDVD even though this conversion is not one of their primary functions. They are both setup to use DGPulldown, so that will help in this PAL to NTSC conversion. Both of these can use HC as well.

The Film Machine, FAVC and AVStoDVD are all free programs. ConvertXtoDVD is not.

By the way, if you can’t get DVDFab HD Decrypter going very soon, you can always download the free trial of AnyDVD and use it for 30 days. It will break encryption in the background and allow you to use DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink as the ripping program if you wish, though on some of the newest movies with the nastiest protection you might want to use the built-in ripper.

Thanks for your advise. Do you think DVDFab is worth the $20?

Since DVDFab went to a subscription model for the main program, no, I don’t think it is a good buy particularly. And since the decryption/ripping section is still free, I don’t see any reason to buy the main part. Everything done in the main section of DVDFab can be accomplished using free programs, it just won’t be in one package.

AnyDVD is going to a subscription basis for their program starting January 1st of 2009, so if you want an up to date decryption program with free lifetime updates, this is the one I would buy.

Does AnyDVD do the conversion from PAL<->NTSC? I don’t see it in the docs…

It makes the backed up disc Region free, just like DVD Fab.:wink:

AnyDVD (+ HD) is not cheap since it switches to euro. Remember if your payment is not in euro, you’ll be charged a foreign conversion fee up to 3% by your financial institution, not 1.5-2% as told by AnyDVD rep. The price is quite high just for decrypting and ripping, but if you compare with DvdFab Platinum which has gone to yearly subscription model then AnyDVD will eventually be cheaper should you buy AnyDVD now before the end of the year.

Another note is that you don’t have to buy DvdFab if all you use is for ripping, a section of the installation is DvdFab HD Decrypter which you can use for FREE.

AnyDVD does not do conversion, just decrypting and ripping.

You either use the free programs that Kerry56 has suggested, or use ConvertXtoDVD, which does it automatically for you. And ConvertXtoDVD will soon be supporting to conversion to bluray. Think of the future investment if you will.

[quote=toaddub;2174562]AnyDVD (+ HD) is not cheap since it switches to euro. Remember if your payment is not in euro, you’ll be charged a foreign conversion fee up to 3% by your financial institution, not 1.5-2% as told by AnyDVD rep. The price is quite high just for decrypting and ripping, but if you compare with DvdFab Platinum which has gone to yearly subscription model then AnyDVD will eventually be cheaper should you buy AnyDVD now before the end of the year.

Another note is that you don’t have to buy DvdFab if all you use is for ripping, a section of the installation is DvdFab HD Decrypter which you can use for FREE.

AnyDVD does not do conversion, just decrypting and ripping.

You either use the free programs that Kerry56 has suggested, or use ConvertXtoDVD, which does it automatically for you. And ConvertXtoDVD will soon be supporting to conversion to bluray. Think of the future investment if you will.[/quote]
You are correct Toaddub, but if you have AnyDVD running in the background it will play a disc from any region without having to change the region code in your DVDRW and as you said Fabs Free Decrypter will do this also. Just use a D/L disc to burn or compress with freeware programs and then burn.

Yes, that’s another advantage. We can list a few of the Pros and Cons but I’m sure the OP gets the idea.

@knichel, I just notice that you’re ripping from the ISO image, not from the original disc. Does this mean you don’t have the original? You know the rules in this forum if this is true.

The error from VobBlanker indicates the menu VOB is missing. That means the ISO image does not have it. You will need to rerip from the original using AnyDVD or DvdFab HD Decrypter.

Have original, but got tired of the speed of DVD drive. Making coasters takes less time from ISO. Once I get the method down, will go back to using original. I have several discs I purchased from ebay that are PAL and I Need to find fool proof way of converting to NTSC.

Thanks.